Off-Road Re-Tread

BIGPHIL

Any of you guys running tires from this compant or any "offroad re-treads"

https://www.treadwright.com/shopnow/entity/tabid/60/entityname/category/categoryid/7/sename/31-10.5R15.aspx

I think I am going to get either the "crawler" or the "guard dog" as I have read good things on a few JEEP forums.

Just wondering if any NPORA members were wheelin "on the cheap"

LOL at wheelin and cheap in the same sentence.

i run them, they're okay for a street tire, not good on any type of rocks at all. they chunk out bad, really bad almost to the point of losing an entire tire lug. so yeah they're cheap, and trust me that's what they are. cheap, and not worth the money IMO again.

OK see that is actually the first "bad" thing I have heard... But thats wat I want is pros and cons.

also do they do okay with say....mud lol I prolly wont see too many rocks until I get comfortable getting dirty.

I want an OK street tire but if I want to go wheelin' on the weekends I just wanna load up a cooler of soda and stuff for a light lunch and just GO.

If your looking for a primarily offroad tire, I'd look at them.....you get the performance of a high price offroad tire, but don't have to worry about slicing open a 250 dollar tire...

Thats what it is,tread right uses the old forms from out of date tires,they have the old style Goodyear M/t and Bfg A/t And the Axion(or what ever) is the old rugged trail tire.

Edited by nismothunder

My re-treads lasted about 1/2 a year and then the tread on the front ones separated from the wheel.

The drivers side literally blew up as I pulled into Discount tire.

I will never get re-treads again.

I wouldn't trust retreads to drive a half a mile down the road. I load countless amounts of blown up retreaded tires into the junk trailer where I work (Les Schwab). Not a good thing...

I think thats from people abusing them and cheap ass retreads coming from mexico...one of the ladys i sell hay too has retreads on her little dakota(I think there pumas) and there bald and she still uses them.My uncle has old retreads on his f250 but there split rims so the carcuss is a bit tuffer...

My pathy still sits in the Garage from an Explosion of a retread on the Highway going a 120km/h and nearly taking my life. Yes they are much cheaper to buy and the lugs on some brands are great just like the big tire brands, but unless they are going to be OFFROAD use only to be swapped in at the trail head, I wouldn't trust them on a highway. My tread completely delaminated from the carcass. It also cause considerable damage to the Pathy. Smashed in the Rocker, the Fender and the Passenger door, Ball joints are shot now, the wheel is damaged and needs replacement, and a few other things i cant recall since I haven't even bothered to look at it due to lack of funds for the past 8 months.

Like all things, if you're looking for the cheapest alternative when buying a product, you get what you pay for and it usually ends up costing you more in the end. That said, you dont need to go buy the most expensive tire out there, but I would recommend at least a reputable brand.

Edited by Dowser

:ar15: walmart automotive section

I personally like retreads about as much as I like fiberglass body panels...

(I don't)

Nunya I agree with you about the retreads and the fiberglass body panels, but I would much rather have some fiberglass then a retread that is going to blow out and destroy my pathfinder. I shouldn't talk though the swampers I run to the trail and offroad were made in 1998 lol, but no dry rot and still hold air, have lots of tread. It is just a pain to get them mounted because no tire company will mount them because of liability, of well thats what starting fluid is used 4 lol

like I said before I am on a semi-tight budget and dont plan on wheeling every weekend maybe every other weekend. I would do plan on this being my DD.

I do like how the retread/remold tires are a "greener tire"