Seatbelt Warranty Help!

edicer2

Hi after reading your guys thread about how the seatbelts have a lifetime warranty and that you guys are getting your fixed due to not coiling up or locking when they shouldnt. I decdied to bring mine to my dealer and they said the parts that are worn out on my seatbelt are not covered under warranty. How is that possible? Did anyone else have this problem? My seatbelt doesnt coil up on its own and is usually fairly slack when wearing it. I feel that it should be in the warranty whats the point of the lifetime warranty if they dont covery anything. WHen i asked if it was covered when i called the 1800nissan1 number they said seat bults have a unlimited warranty. Let me know what you guys think i think they are screwing me over. After first the dealer said seats dont have a warranty at all. They also said they cant get the passenger side seat belt anymore and i would have to go to a junk yard for it.

Yeah Adam is right. The dealer is bull@!*%ting you in the hope that you will leave him alone.

Doing warranty work can be a pain for some dealers due to paperwork that they have to submit to Nissan, as well as not being able to charge Nissan the same high rate they charge you for the work.

Go back to the dealer and demand to speak to a manager if someone else give you the same story. If they still do not want to do it, call up Nissan to complain or go to another dealer.

I don't have my book with me, but supposedly at the back of the owners manual it clearly states that seat belts are warrantied for life. If you don't have an owners manual, try to buy or borrow a copy to bring down to the dealer to show them.

I hope you are able to get yours fixed. I am going to see about getting my looked at as well as they do not coil up more than 25%, and I have to push it in by hand.

My seat belt doesn't wanna slide back into it's thing very well. It will but there's still alot of slack. I dunno if it has problems locking though.

i'll have to look into this.

Edit: I got my warranty book for my 94 in front of me and it says that the seat belt has a life time warranty.

What is not covered:

-Damage or failure due to misuse, alteration, accident, or collision damage (proper use outlined in your OWNER'S MANUAL)

-Color Fading, Spotting or other cosmetic items when the belt is otherwise functioning properly.

-Air bags and related electronic control systems which are covered by the Powertrain warranty.

-Extra expenses - Limitations of damages. This warranty does not cover such incidental or consequential damages such as loss of the use of the vehicle, or inconvenience or commercial loss.

Edited by Toby

My driver's seatbelt lock is starting to not click all the way and unbuckle, and both are extremely slow to retract.

That guy is definitely bull@!*%ting you, talk to the manager and get the work done.

My driver's seatbelt lock is starting to not click all the way and unbuckle, and both are extremely slow to retract.

That guy is definitely bull@!*%ting you, talk to the manager and get the work done.

Agreed. If you need I can scan the page from the warranty book. Just let me know.

I got a chunk of button missing from my drivers belt buckle and both fronts retract slow, 1988 being the iffy year is gonna cause issues proably though. I still gotta call and try and if all goes well hopefully they don't but blue parts in, since thats what color my interior was

sosmebody oughta scan a copy of that warranty and some of us like myself who doesnt have the manual anymore can print out a copy that we can show to the dealer just in case they dont honor their lifetime warranty

Seat belts ARE covered under a lifetime warranty against defects. up till around 2004ish (I think) where they changed them to 10 years, unlimited mileage

If the belt is slow to retract, many times it's becuase of the d-ring (the ring above your left shoulder) gets filthy.

Take a rag with brake clean, lift the belt off the ring and clean it.

Slow retract is a "grey" area.

Technically they still work.

I would replace them for one of my customers, but other dealers may not.

If the belt is completely fubar'ed (ie: pulled all the way out, but won't retract at all) it's a no-brainer, it's warranty.

As for the comment above re: color, the warranty system is VIN specific, so if you put a grey belt in the truck that came from factory with blue belts, nissan will not pay for it.

The dealer might assume that there is a colour error and order the grey one for you and not even notice.. They'll just have a hard time collecting the money from nissan.

The belts may not be in stock anymore, but they can still order them. How long they will take to come in is a different story. I had to order a timing cover for my 300zx once. It took 2 months, but it showed up eventually.

ok cool thanks guys ill go back there soon. If someone can get the warranty thing scanned so i have a copy to show them that would be great they wont go off my word. Its just hard when the dealer says they can get a passenger side belt and neigher of the belts are covered under warranty. Then they try and selling me both the belts for 82 bucks or something each right after they say they can install the passenger side one anymore becasue they dont make it. At first the 1800nissan1 number said they will be covered then the dealer called them to confirm and shorty after 1800nissan1 calls me and says the deal gets to pick and they arent warrantied. They both started to tell me that the seat belt not coiling up properly(me having to feed it up after i use it because it just sits there slack) is not covered under the warranty. If someone has the book and can scan it so i can show them i have a lifetime warranty and they cant aruge it it would be nice. I am getting sick of calling both of them and fighting it when they know its under warranty.

When I took mine to the dealer about 5 years ago, they did what morpheus said and cleaned the d ring part and it worked fine again. Clean that yourself then take it in and tell them that it is the mechanism, not the D ring causing the slow or no retraction.

It does seem to change by dealer. By spec according to one local deal it is 89+. But another used my VIN to check and said my 88 was covered. It took two appointments, one to check to see if they really needed replaced and to get the exact color that needed to be ordered and a second one to actually install them.

It did take over a month for the parts to come in, as one of them was on backorder. But they came in and they have been replaced. The reasons mine were replaced was the TSB for the front buttons (although mine did not "really" show the signs of needing replaced) and that they were slow to retract, even after they checked them out and also my drivers side belt was fraying along the shoulder/chest area.

Below is a scan of page 31 from Nissan's Warranty Information Booklet. BUT keep in mind that this is from the 1995 model year, and yours is earlier. If you are going to try and use something like this as leverage, you really should try and source a 1992 booklet. Check wrecking yard cars and trucks, this is how I got my 95 booklets (also have the Owners Manual)

1995nissanwarrantyinfor.th.jpg

i noticed it said air bag on that image i dont think the 95 has air bags or it might be something else.1995nissanwarrantyinfor.jpg

I think 1993 was the first year for air bags. My 1994 has an air bag and the 1993 was the first year for the revised interior.

no, 93 had no airbags, 94 was the "new" airbag "new console year.

You're right. Forgot what year it started.

I dont think a 94 has airbags atleast my wifes se doesnt have one..looks like it does coz of the bulky steering wheels but I already pulled the steering cover off of my 94 and nothing in there

Should be an air bag. I know in 1995 it was mandatory for all light trucks to have air bags. so the 1995 models would have it and they have the same steering wheels as the 1994's. So you may have been hosed on an air bag.

Neither of my 95's have an airbag.

You're in canada. Not sure if I can vouch for you. But in America they were made mandatory for the 1995 model year. Driver air bag at least. Passenger wasn't made mandatory until 98/99 i think.