Bang Suspension Dropped On A 95

FUELER

driving the desert today, BANG suddenly the drivers side suspension is dropped like a lowered Pathfinder and riding on the bumpstop. Still driveable to a point. Torsion bar not connected to anchor in the rear.

Nut that holds anchor to crossmember, is loose by an inch but intact with nut on it, and holding anchor loosely.

Where does one "crank" (tighten) the torsion bars? At the front or rear? Its dark out now but I want to have an idea what to look for tomorrow.

Thanks in advance

rear connection of front torsion bar

P2060171.jpg

anchor not held in place.

P2060170.jpg

Edited by FUELER

UPDATE sorry, the torsion bar is NOT snapped off. the rear anchor point is loose in the crossmember, but the bolt that holds it in (very long bolt that points up) is still intact, just very loose by inch) but still has nut on top.

Is it possible that the rear anchor point might have worked its was loose and caused the t-bar to pop out??

Sure it's possible, but not likely without being noticed before if came to this point... it should have lowered gradually over a period of time.

So is the T-Bar hanging free or is it still in the adjuster?

Check the adjusting bolt's threads, it may be stripped.

Also check the splines inside the adjuster and on the T-Bar itself to see if they are stripped or damaged in anyway. Might need to check the front as well ;)

koveman, im glad you find that funny. Im sorry i have zero knowledge of torsion bar suspension, learning as i go. Plus i need to get this lowrider WD out of my driveway!!!

Thanks redpath,

i will post pics in a few mins, hopefully they will show what i mean...

Edited by FUELER

sounds like the reatining clip that keeps the lip anchor foward of the x-member may have <failed, gone, missing, not installed...>

allowing the anchor to creep back on the spines over time untill BANG!

It looks like your retaining clip is still there it just didn't retain the anchor arm where it should be. So the anchor arm slipped of the splines or the front of the torsion bar came out of the front A arm. The torsion bar is a hardened spring steel so it should be ok but the splines on your anchor arm or lower A arm may be screwed up. May need a trip to the scrap yard.

James

I pulled the section on the torsion bar out of the service manual for you but don't know how to post it.

Yeah, it looks like the T-bar just came out of the adjuster. Can't see the inside of the adjuster in the pics to tell if the splines are OK or not. If they are OK, it is actually a simple fix. Undo the bolt pointing up until it is almost completely backed out. slip the adjuster barrel back over the end of the T-bar, then crank the adjuster back up.

Yeah, it looks like the T-bar just came out of the adjuster. Can't see the inside of the adjuster in the pics to tell if the splines are OK or not. If they are OK, it is actually a simple fix. Undo the bolt pointing up until it is almost completely backed out. slip the adjuster barrel back over the end of the T-bar, then crank the adjuster back up.

X2. As long as the splines aren't screwed on the adjuster, or the t-bar, this should work just fine.

We had a Pathy spit a T-bar out of the LCA at our last NOAS run. Had to reinstall and re-set height on the trail. It looked like it had been running on only 1/2" of contact inside the splines so it just over stressed and popped out.

stripped enough for ya??? Luckily the splines on the torsion bar are still 100%

P2070179.jpg

It looks like the torsion bar only goes in like half an inch, is that normal?

Edited by FUELER

No, the engagement was 25-30mm IIRC. Essentially almost all of the spline is in the splined socket. Yeah, I figured it was stripped (key word was 'bang') but didn't want to jinx anything. Do you need pictures of how it should be? Let me know, it's not raining now...

Go to a junk yard and get the replacement parts and everything should be fine.

B

Most of the length of the splines on the t-bar should engage the anchor. It was probably installed improperly at some point. I would check the other side as well. You should be able to pick up an anchor from Nissan for around $30 if you don't have a JY near by.

Thanks precise and Koveman. Precise, you don't have to take a pic, i'll use the other side as a reference since it seems to be properly installed.

So, to re-install, I loosen the anchor adjusting nut to the max, (so that the anchor is at its most extreme angle) then i slip the anchor over the t-bar and start cranking the nut down? How do i know when to stop cranking?

Also, do you know if the anchor with retaining ring installed will slip thru the hole on the crossmember, when not under any tension, or will i have to put the anchor thru the crossmember first and then install retaining ring?

Thanks in advance. We ordered the new anchor, waiting til Thursday to install.

You will have to take the clip off of the anchor arm to get it in. First make sure your t-bar is all the way in the lower control arm, if it's not you won't be able to get the anchor on the back end of the t-bar it's a close fit. Put some marine grease (water proof) on the splines then slip the anchor on. Try to index the anchor arm so it splines on with the adjuster nut all the way backed off. This will give you more adjustment. Make sure the anchor arm O.D. grooves sit on the cross member correctly then put the retainer clip on. Jack the front of the truck up until the tires are almost off the ground. This makes it easier to turn the adjuster nut. Then crank it down and lower the truck and check with a tape measure. Repeat until both sides are even.

James

Sweet, thanks JamesRich!!

One more question - when i'm sliding the anchor arm onto the torsion bar (with nut backed all the way off), should I have the truck lifted off the ground or should i have where the wheels touching the ground at "normal" ride height ?

Off the ground. It's a hell of a lot easier to crank the t-bars with no load on the suspension.

It'll take some trial and error to get the level right, and make sure that when you're at proper ride height that the adjuster is tucked up into the crossmember. If it hangs low, it can get ripped off on the trail.

Personally, I prefer to adjust the T-bars with the truck on the ground, that way you dont have to jack it up/drop it all the time and it's not that hard to turn the adjusting nut. I used a 19mm (IIRC) closed end ratcheting wrench so you can leave it on the nut, slide out, check the height, repeat...

Make sure to grease the threads of the adjusting bolt and the contact face of the adjuster arm so it doesn't gall and turns easier. If you set it at a different height than it was before, an alignment is recommended. The T-bars will settle so drive it for a couple of days and then re-adjust as appropriate. I believe you have less settling if you don't jack up the vehicle; you never unload the suspension...

B

does it matter whether im cranking the nut on top or the bolt on bottom?

(i plan on cranking the bolt with a 19mm socket) with a 19mm wrench holding the nut on top.

Sorry for the dumb questions.

Edited by FUELER