center seat belt retracts to much

jadm4x4

well with kids in the back with the center seatbelt. Keeps retracting to far when they are wearing it. Is this normal or defective. Im sick of stoping to undo it and put it back on. There a good idea when they arnt wearing them but an issue altogether. Thought of changing it over to a manual adjustable belt but want to know if its just another isssue with my pathy

Mine does not get used that often but I have never had that problem when it has been used. Never happened when I had the original one by the windows either. Which were just like the center belt, until I changed the the newer ones with the shoulder strap.

I know that if kids move around a lot, then they slowly tighten on them, could that be what is going on? Or perhaps the child keeps pulling it tighter until it's simply to tight and he/she no longer likes then calls out "Daddy!" ;)

I can remember some seatbelt stops that people had when I was a kid. Basically they just clamped around the belt and you positioned them where ever you wanted, and it would prevent the belt from going in an further. I have not seen them in stores recently, but then I have not been looking for them either :shrug:

And I guess it is "possible" that the belt retractor is bad, but in my experience (and I have not had much with bad seat belts) they usually stop retracting the belt correctly, not get tighter.

I find if you pull the seat belt all the way out while your wearing it, then let go. You can't pull it out anymore (locks you in place). But I do know that nissan's have lifetime warranty on their seat belts. So a dealer should look at it for free if you are concerned. They told me to come in anytime with mine.

• 4 weeks later...
if your having issues with it, a manual one from a jy shouldn't be too expensive....

I prefer them personally :\

all good. but the only problem we cant buy seatbelts from the wreckers here. otherwise they are liable if anything goes wrong in a accident

I've never heard of this as an issue before...but then again I would never know if a seatbelt in the backseat of a car didnt work properly b/c I rarely ride in the back and if I do then no belt is worn (grew up that way and the laws changed and I never did)

since I was 5 all three rear belts were constantly getting too tight after more than 20 min of use. Our solution was to pull the belt out a litte farther than needed and slide a doubled up rubber band down it. the band would stop the belt on the plastic flange and hold tight enough to keep little me comfortable for a SF to LA road trip. my passengers for my tacoma to SF road trips don't use the rubber-bands I give them so I guess it broke in after 20 years.

is it true nissan seatbelts are under lifetime warranty?

if so, then just have a dealer look at it and replace it if something is wrong. seems the safest and cheapest option.

True, but they do everything possible at the dealer to avoid paying to replace one.

well the back seat of my 89 has 3 lap belts that are really weird. once you are done pulling them to whatever point, and let it go back a little they lock and wont go out any more. is that the problem you're having? pretty much when people sit in the back they don't use them

yes, nissan has a lifetime warranty on all safety restraints. i went to get a new rear buckle, and told the dealership that my friend's dog chewed up the buckle so it's hit-and-miss when the buckle actually locks. even still, they just sent me to the parts department and they gave me a new seat belt. the guy said they replace seat belts "no questions asked." they didn't even ask for the old one.

No questions huh? The service manager at my local dealer took a look at mine (front belt wouldn't retract), and said the were just dirty (and they aren't), ie made an excuse not to fix it.

No questions huh? The service manager at my local dealer took a look at mine (front belt wouldn't retract), and said the were just dirty (and they aren't), ie made an excuse not to fix it.

i'm sure dealership to dealership will have lots of differences, but at my dealership, they specifically told me about the lifetime warranty, and that if it doesn't lock, they'll replace it for free.

i told them how it was damaged (so it would be my fault, technically), but i remember him saying, "if it doesn't lock, it doesn't lock, and we'll warranty it." he did ask lots of questions like, "are you sure you're using the right buckle?" and "have you tried flipping the latch around and trying both directions?" but in the end, he still never looked at the part and gave me a brand new buckle from behind the counter.

i was very surprised at their willingness to help; it's very unlike a dealership to not try to steal your money.

• 2 weeks later...

i tried the dealership and they wouldnt eplace so i went to the local baby shop and got a little bracket used on carseat belts. it holds a normal seat belt (lap and sash) together when kids are in a booster seat. works wonders. thanks for all the ideas guys..... ill post a pic when i can