best shocks for handling/ride quality

MaxRX7

I'm tried of these monroe sensatracs I have on right now... they are way too soft and have less than 10k miles. They are the right model number for my Pathfinder, but they feel like they don't belong on this truck (way too smushy ride). I mostly drive in the city so I am not looking for off-road shocks or lifted or what have you. Just want some personal feedback about how the ride quality and taking corners feel with Ranchos, EMU, KYBs or whatever other brands out there.

i have pretty stiff shocks and am really thinking of going to some that are softer.. hmm.. the only time i like mine, is when i am loaded up on a long distance trip.. it even wheels better with a load but most of the time i'd rather have some better response then hard jarring.

Might look into the Rancho 9ks, they can be changed to a couple ride settings from soft to stiff, so you can dial it in where you want it.

I have a set of RS9000's(rs9k) waiting to go on the back of my pathy (when I get it back) I bought them for exactly that reason. even out of the box there is a big differance between setting 1(soft) and setting 9(stiff). I hear that the RS5k's are equal to about setting 5 on the 9k's so you'd prolly run setting 3 or 4 unless loaded.

The 9k's are a little pricy but I will prolly find they are worth it. Here's some part numbers if you wanna try em too;

for the rear;

9112's are 26" extended (long-travel you will need tall springs or to have them wired in)

9116's are 24" extended (1" longer than stock, works for stock and up to 3" SL)

9118 & oem 23" extended (stock length not reccomended for more than 2" lift.)

for the front;

9214 (stock length, IFS does not required longer shocks to take advantage of lift)

I use a set of KYB GR-2s gas compressed shocks. They are OEM spec and ride like OEM as well except that they are gas shocks. No more adjustables but well worth the price and durability.

I just ordered a set of KYB Gas-a-Adjusts. Supposed to be firmer and handle better than the KYB GR-2's. I have no experience with these shocks, have read a few positive results. Hoping they handle like the Edelbrock IAS performers I had on my Ex when it was at stock height. There is just not much out there in the aftermarket Pathfinder R50 world... Any other opinions out there. I am new to the Pathfinder forum here.

Thanks

Have OME leaf springs on my Ex and they are the stuff. Wanted to go with the shocks but they are quite pricey. Have read alot of postive reviews on them but wasnt prepared to pay the price for them.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to try out the KYBs and hopefully I'll be happy with them, if not I'm going for the RS9000s so I'll be able to adjust to my liking.

I switched out the Gabriels on mine (didnt last long) to Bilstein.

Much improved difference. They are very very stiff.

yep, I bet there is a huge difference going to Bilstein. Also heard great things about the OME. Just too pricey for me to take a gamble right now.

Thanks guys, looks like I'm going to try out the KYBs and hopefully I'll be happy with them, if not I'm going for the RS9000s so I'll be able to adjust to my liking.

yep, I bet there is a huge difference going to Bilstein. Also heard great things about the OME. Just too pricey for me to take a gamble right now.

You might want to take a look at the Rancho RSX shocks. they are twin tube nitrogen charged with self-adjusting valves, they stiffen up on the road and soften when you hit the dirt. I have them on the back of my pathy, i like them although i havent put a lot of kilometres on them. They are only a little more than the 5000's in price. a lot cheaper than the 9000's

Installed the KYB Gas A Just shocks tonite. Didnt have time to test drive. Hope to test drive tomorrow & experience a positive handling improvement. 1 minor annoyance, they are white shocks and look like shid. Would much rather have had silver like the GR2's. My Pathfinder is Sherwood with Grey flares/bumpers.

• 4 weeks later...

Just FYI.... I skipped on the KYBs and went to the adjustable RS9000XL and let me tell you I haven't really adjusted them much, but the truck is definately more stable (it's not bouncy and jumpy like it was before). So the ride is way smoother now. When I compared these shocks with the Sensatracs, the difference was clear as day. These Ranchos are way thicker and look beefier. Only real reason I went with them was to take advantage of the buy one get the 2nd one 50% off. so overall not a bad deal, just hope they mail me my rebate check.

Installed the KYB Gas A Just shocks tonite. Didnt have time to test drive. Hope to test drive tomorrow & experience a positive handling improvement. 1 minor annoyance, they are white shocks and look like shid. Would much rather have had silver like the GR2's. My Pathfinder is Sherwood with Grey flares/bumpers.

so what do think of them so far?

I have a set of RS9000's(rs9k) waiting to go on the back of my pathy (when I get it back) I bought them for exactly that reason. even out of the box there is a big differance between setting 1(soft) and setting 9(stiff). I hear that the RS5k's are equal to about setting 5 on the 9k's so you'd prolly run setting 3 or 4 unless loaded.

The 9k's are a little pricy but I will prolly find they are worth it. Here's some part numbers if you wanna try em too;

for the rear;

9112's are 26" extended (long-travel you will need tall springs or to have them wired in)

9116's are 24" extended (1" longer than stock, works for stock and up to 3" SL)

9118 & oem 23" extended (stock length not reccomended for more than 2" lift.)

for the front;

9214 (stock length, IFS does not required longer shocks to take advantage of lift)

I compared the extension lengths and noticed that Edelbrock makes a universal Xtreme Travel IAS with Reservoir and found chrome finished ones in this length was wondering if it would fit on my 94 Pathfinder 4x4?

Soft Valving, 7.5" stroke, extended length: 20.14", collapsed length: 12.80"

or there's the standard Zinc or Chrome finish

Part# Extended Collapsed Stroke Mount Kit Body/Rod (Code) Finish

63909 16.24" 10.845" 5.40" Piggyback HS13/HS13 Zinc

63910 20.18" 12.785" 7.40" Piggyback HS13/HS13 Zinc

63905 23.35" 14.445" 8.90" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63906 26.95" 16.20" 10.75" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63907 31.80" 18.80" 13.00" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63908 35.95" 20.95" 15.00" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63922 37.39" 21.39" 16.00" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63923 16.09" 10.75" 5.34" Remote HS13/HS13 Chrome

63924 20.14" 12.80" 7.34" Remote HS13/HS13 Chrome

Medium Valving

Part# Extended Collapsed Stroke Mount Kit Body/Rod (Code) Finish

63901 23.35" 14.45" 8.90" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63902 26.95" 16.20" 10.75" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63903 31.80" 18.80" 13.00" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63904 35.95" 20.95" 15.00" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

63921 37.39" 21.39" 16.00" Remote HS13/HS13 Zinc

Let me know which would work for the front and rear mounts, for mount specs. please go to the link and get back to me ASAP, need new shox. :shrug::scratchhead:

http://www.edelbrock.com/automotive_new/mc...rsal_resi.shtml

Edited by Astroc2002