i coulda sworn i read somewhere the pathy was lighter

so the jeep is more powerful, lighter, etc

what makes the pathy better is what im looking for

Put that way, nothing.

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

After working with Jeep guys at my old dealership, I dont know about the Cherokee nbeing reliable. They had some issues that were not as bad as the pathfinders. Apples to apples they are similar. I just believe that Nissan took more into consideration when building thier vehicles and components. Not to say we dont have our issues. Now on the other hand, I have a buddy at work who has a mildly build Cherokee and we can both do pretty much the same thing. At some point it still comes down to how well you can handle your rig.

How Dare You Inject Logic And Experience Into This thread!! :D

Remeber this is mud, not rock crawling.

Bingo. NOTHING excels at everything. Pick your event before you pick your bets... ;)

B

Get stuck? Yeah

Exactly!

:rolleyes: Every vehicle has its weaknesses and every vehicle has its strengths, just as GG and B pointed out about IFS vs SA, get what suits your needs :togo:

Also let it be known that Chrysler is known for their ****** trannys.

Yep and the *D21's Manuals and Autos are sitting "much" better with their lubrication problems? :redfinder:

Yep and the *D21's Manuals and Autos are sitting "much" better with their lubrication problems?

Actually they are, because even though they have those problems, they still don't puke out the tranny at 72,000kms like my uncles 97 caravan that he bought NEW and maintains well. My new 95 has the stock cooler, and so does my 93, and the transmissions in those trucks are great. The 93 is at 215k, although it's not safe to drive, the transmission still operates flawlessly.

But this isn't a transmission debate, sorry for getting off topic, I was just taking a pot shot at Chrysler :lol:

Actually they are, because even though they have those problems, they still don't puke out the tranny at 72,000kms like my uncles 97 caravan that he bought NEW and maintains well. My new 95 has the stock cooler, and so does my 93, and the transmissions in those trucks are great. The 93 is at 215k, although it's not safe to drive, the transmission still operates flawlessly.

But this isn't a transmission debate, sorry for getting off topic, I was just taking a pot shot at Chrysler :lol:

Just to further the thread jack, the XJs don't tend to suffer the tranny issues most other Chryslers do, partially because they are still working with the basic mechanicals that were in th CJs. Actual Chryler vehicles and Jeep models created after Chrysler ownership do have tranny troubles, yes. My mini-van is on it's 3rd tranny, otherwise the vehicle is pretty damn strong for 260k.

ik for a fact the grand cherokee has alots of tranny problems ik have known a few ppl to have bad luck with theirs.

Grand Cherokee is Chrysler built, and uses the same tranny with the v8 combination as the Dodge trucks, which are prone to problems, but not to the extent people make them out to be. The I6 auto is a different beast.

Grandpa has a '93 JGC. 5.2L with the auto, and has 176K on it, towing his work trailer to the beach and back constantly, no issues other than a small leak which sometimes makes it slow to engage gears when it's cold.

The good combinations of tranny and engines are from when AMC owned them, and before Chrysler began building them with their own stuff in 1993.

When Chrysler bought Jeep, nothing was changed in the building of them until late 1991 (4.0LHO which is the same essentially, just reworked a little) and 1993 when the JGC was introduced and almost everything was changed over to Chrysler.

Edited by kingman92010

yeah thats what years theirs were 93-95 jgc and damn those things are always broke all 3 are the inline 6. I swear one of them is broke every week. Plus they all have around 100-140k miles 2 of which have had to replace the engines. These people dont even off road. These jeeps were used as daily drivers and fairly well maintained.

Plus they all have around 100-140k miles 2 of which have had to replace the engines. These people dont even off road. These jeeps were used as daily drivers and fairly well maintained.

That's weird. Having to replace the engines in those isn't common at all, usually its little grimmlin electrical issues and trannys.

The block part of the I6 is pretty bulletproof. It takes A LOT (meaning major catastrophe) to have to replace an engine. Hope they didn't get screwed by a mechanic wanting money.

Funny thing, my wife was a Chrysler warranty clerk, she said that towing ANYTHING with a JGC (even one with a factory tow package) voided the warranty. lol

Well piss on the clerk.

That's weird. Having to replace the engines in those isn't common at all, usually its little grimmlin electrical issues and trannys.

The block part of the I6 is pretty bulletproof. It takes A LOT (meaning major catastrophe) to have to replace an engine. Hope they didn't get screwed by a mechanic wanting money.

yeah ik one had a cracked block and the other one the timing belt or something broke and wrecked it to the point wher eit was cheaper to buy a new one or something i cant remember

we never had engine problems with our 92 dodge grand caravan.... but in the 52 weeks we owned it, we had the tranny replaced three times under warranty.(from the lot we bought it from) this is with my mom driving who thinks 36 in a 35 is way too fast

I know 4 people with dodge caravans. All of them had to have the tranny replaced, sometimes twice. My friend andrew has a dodge neon, tranny has been messed for the longest time but their driving it till it won't move anymore. My old boss had a 2000 dodge dually diesel and the manual tranny fell out of it. He is good on his trucks as well, never speeds, always changes fluids.

Am I missing something?

yes u used two different websites for your stats.

if you use the same website that you found the pathfinder weight on, they say the XJ weights 3200+.

Also, consider a JGC they weigh a lot more.

thats what i thought

btw the cherokee my buddy has is an I6 manual does this make a difference than the auto?

The I6 is basically the same engine that they used since the early 70s in various Jeeps and AMC cars (like the Pacer and Gremlin).

would you rather have the v6 or the i6

dude.... the i6 sucks.

Jeeps have EVERYTHING available to purchase, and you have very many choices. They make superchargers, dozens of lift kits, accessories to the moon. You can b uy a jeep and you can pretty much change EVERYTHING on it with over the counter parts from your local 4wd store.

Nissans have a lot less available...... weak lift kits, weak nissan OEM superchargers, you basically have to do drastic fabrication to make it sick (like tyler morgans SAS R50 on 35's and 4.6L built infiniti engine)

so go ahead, buy a jeep. Then you can make it cookie-cutter style to look like every other lifted jeep out there. And just buy your little jeep upgrades when you have the cash cause you know they are available.

Just don't ever forget this phrase:

"Jeeps are like tampons - every p***y needs one."