Pathy vs. Cherokee

97pathfinder4x4

who spit in your cereal? jeeps may have toys r us buttons but those buttons still engage diff lockers. they're far more capable than a pathfinder so don't kid yourself. i would gladly take a rubicon or diesel overland over a new V8 4x4 R51. the nissan sells for 45k, the same as a grand cherokee CRD Overland. which is more capable? -the jeep.

i dare venture to say that people who buy a cherokee are more interested in crawling at 0.9mph than they are in doing 90mph down the highway.

Yup, you got that right, Alex. :aok:

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

buddy of mine said pathys have crappy gearing... any thoughts?

How does he know? And, you can always re gear anyways.

I had someone last night try to tell me that my pathy has 3.10 gears. Didn't believe me when I told him they were either 4.6 or 4.3 (couldn't remember)

Jeeps are garbage, Nissans have some class. Get a freakin' 4runner before you get a Jeep.

I think Jeeps definitely have good things about them (4.0L wheel-spinning horsepower, offroad capability, huge aftermarket) but their small and cheap interiors with toys-r-us buttons, garbage reliability, and overall cheap quality make it a terrible decision in comparison to a Nissan or Toyota SUV of the same year. If you have ever driven 90 mph in a Cherokee then you will know exactly what i am talking about, it doesn't even compare to the well-designed, precision-tuned "Jap-crap" that we are so used to.

To each their own. But i wouldn't ever buy a car from the manufacturer who tried to *my "vocabulary" is so small* their own consumers with the controversial, 15 gal vs. 20 gal tanks (same tank different vent hoses) in the Wrangler. Thats a ridiculous history.

If I bought a Jeep I wouldn't care about the cheapness of the interior, because most of it would be gutted and rhino lined for deep waters. Too cheap? Boohoo, get over it. Cherokees in my family, along with every other domestic vehicle have been near bulletproof.

Cherokees drive just fine at 90mph and up, and do it extremely easily. So no, I don't know what you're talking about, because there's nothing to talk about. Don't know what you're referring to with that.

Toyota 4Runners are just stupid, worthless vehicles. Comparing them to a Pathfinder or the Jeep is apples to...raisins.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pathy, but don't degrade something because of your bias that blocks your view past your nose.

Toyota 4Runners are just stupid, worthless vehicles. Comparing them to a Pathfinder or the Jeep is apples to...raisins.

Don't get me wrong, I love my Pathy, but don't degrade something because of your bias that blocks your view past your nose.

Edited by alexrex20

buddy of mine said pathys have crappy gearing... any thoughts?

Pathfinders have one of the best stock gearings out there (first and second gen anyways; I think the current gen has more standard 3.x gears).

Really, the r50 just doesn't scream off-road vehicle when you look at it. You can mod it so it looks meaner, leave it dirty, and slap on some campy bumper-stickers, but it still doesn't have the innate appearance of off-road capability that a Cherokee has. While everyone who has ever tried off-roading an r50, or watched someone else do it, knows that they are extremely capable, you probably won't convince anyone without showing them. As has been said earlier, go mudding together, make sure there isn't a large discrepancy like MTs vs street treads, leave his ass stuck in the mud you just drove through, and go home happy.

Or, stop pining for the acceptance of some guys who obviously don't know anything about off-roading except that Cherokees come with big 'increased traction' Jeep stickers and Pathfinders don't.

Edited by HankG

If they're seriously making fun of you all the time, and not just f-ing around like my friends do, they're not your friends.

One of my GM loving friends told me the other day if he gets the price he wants on this 06 frontier is buying it. :jig:

Pathfinders have one of the best stock gearings out there (first and second gen anyways; I think the current gen has more standard 3.x gears).

Really, the r50 just doesn't scream off-road vehicle when you look at it. You can mod it so it looks meaner, leave it dirty, and slap on some campy bumper-stickers, but it still doesn't have the innate appearance of off-road capability that a Cherokee has. While everyone who has ever tried off-roading an r50, or watched someone else do it, knows that they are extremely capable, you probably won't convince anyone without showing them. As has been said earlier, go mudding together, make sure there isn't a large discrepancy like MTs vs street treads, leave his ass stuck in the mud you just drove through, and go home happy.

Or, stop pining for the acceptance of some guys who obviously don't know anything about off-roading except that Cherokees come with big 'increased traction' Jeep stickers and Pathfinders don't.

:goodpost:

agreed... Nicely put.

On a different note, who can elaborate on why 4runners are not good off road? I have no idea but I know they have better aftermarket...

Now this is exactly the kind of post this thread needs! :aok:

On a different note, who can elaborate on why 4runners are not good off road? I have no idea but I know they have better aftermarket...

they ARE good off road. we just have a lot of fanbois on this forum that refuse to believe there are better SUVs than pathfinders, within its respective market. i'm sure we can all agree that toyota knows how to go wheelin'