Pathy vs. Cherokee

97pathfinder4x4

• Replies 210
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Now we are talking almost apples to apples, I think if he is as unmodded as you it would be a fairly even matchup. You would probably plow less than he would in the front, he has more ponies but more weight....

20500780004_large.jpg

this guy was on a 3" susp on 33s...I pulled him out 3 times and the pathy went through everything without a hitch including the hole he was stuck in there (this was the 1st hole if you notice the pathy is still white) He had wheeled the area several times and ran me through holes he had been stuck in previously (he put me on trail lead after the 1st 2 times of pulling him out.

but then again I am driving a WD21 :tongue:

Edited by unccpathfinder

My opinion is summed up by the fact that when my brothers and I go off-roading, my older brother rides with either me or my younger brother because his Cherokee can't handle what my Pathfinder can. He bought it because he wanted a good off-road vehicle, but after seeing my Pathfinder and realizing he'd have to mod his Cherokee to do what I can do stock, he's pretty much given up on it.

A Cherokee can be modded a lot easier than an r50, but stock, I'd take the Pathfinder any day.

I pulled him out 3 times and the pathy went through everything without a hitch including the hole he was stuck in

but then again I am driving a WD21

*snort*

yea i hate that jeeps are so easily modded

Yes, because they need it...

That was the point of my plow comment, his front axel hangs so low in the center that it just digs right in.

Bingo...

i need some help here to prove him wrong about the pathy vs. jeep cherokee

Easy. Prove it...

yea but he thinks that a jeep is lighter and more powerfull

Simple. Get the VW# and HP#. I'm sure they are present on the web... ;)

so then is a pathy really better than a jeep?

In my book.

Take some time and really look the jeep over. Better yet, ask to drive it. Then answer...

B

Simple. Get the VW# and HP#. I'm sure they are present on the web...

That's specs and stats. Did you not read or not search?

to prove em' wrong is to show em'

And yes, that wins...

B

Some specs to compare:

HP

TQ

max approach and depart angles

min ground clearance

Transfer case gear ratios (I think the jeep will win this one)

Stock dif axle ratios (I think the pathy might be a lower gear here)

The real check is to multiply trans first gear x 4Lo ratio x rear diff gear to see who has the lowest gearing. This doesn't mean everything but you wanted specs to compare.

I personally like driving a Cherokee over a Pathy. Sorry, but that's the way I feel. Sooooooo much more power and more gears in the tranny. Gets better gas mileage, faster, reliable, and are waaay more easily modified than Pathfinders.

BUT

Pathys have a character in being what they are that I don't think any Jeep can match.

Some specs to compare:

HP

TQ

max approach and depart angles

min ground clearance

Transfer case gear ratios (I think the jeep will win this one)

Stock dif axle ratios (I think the pathy might be a lower gear here)

The real check is to multiply trans first gear x 4Lo ratio x rear diff gear to see who has the lowest gearing. This doesn't mean everything but you wanted specs to compare.

The tale of the tape doesn't always determine the winner. I have been pulled out by a jeep once before in my 95 but he gave me props b/c i was bone stock and got further in the hole than he had a week before hand where someone with something larger than 31's got stuck b/c i high centered and all 4 wheels were off the hard pack beneath the mud by about 3" or so

The main question, does he know how to drive/wheel? Could be a major factor. All the truck in the world don't mean squat if you don't know how to properly use it.

this is very true the guy in my post earlier was a good wheeler and very knowledgeable of his rig and what he could do and couldnt do..he got stuck all 3 times b/c of the FA...i "skidded" across...

I've wheeled in a pretty heavily modded cherokee (i think a 95) and it was definitely a different ride than the pathy...a lot more tipping and rocking and so on...it gave me some rushes but overall I preferred the pathy