Will oil K.O. the U.S.?

Mr. Pickles

$120 today to fill up gas for both of our vehicles on 89 octane regular. That's still 2 weeks each with regular driving, thankfully, because now both generally go 5 miles or less each way to work/commute, although if the wife can't take the commuter train that day, its 80 miles (doctor/dentist/appointments = evil!). I imagine other areas/nations will maul me on this topic. The Pathy sucks nearly 3x the Acura, so the Ac is the long hauler and road trip rig. The Ac does all running around inbetween and such, other than Home Depot and trail runs. Much as I hate to say it, with the current bills, inflations and bs, this old guzzling pig (Pathy) is getting parked for the most part. :(

Grrr indeed, time to adjust I suppose. I fully expect others to have ridiculous examples to counter me and my little pain, so let the games begin!

Edited by Mr. Pickles

700s.jpg

38-55mpg.

LOL We had this discussion earlier tonight. Her Acura rolls about 33mpg hwy, fine by me. A friend dumped his bike a few weeks ago, so the wife has apparently veto'd me on anything. D'oh, I'll have to work on her.... :(

A friend dumped his bike a few weeks ago, so the wife has apparently veto'd me on anything.

Yeah, thats one problem with bikes. Sorry to hear that the wife has your cajones and won't let you use them... :tongue:

Seriously though, I only drive 15 miles a day, but with all the work I need to do to the pathy and the price of gas, I might sell it and get something more efficient (and in better shape). I have a superbike in the garage that I don't bother riding to work (not worth the effort/maintanence costs, planning to sell that too) but I've already vowed that I get my butt in gear and do a lot of work on the Bug this weekend to get it back on the road!!

B

True, but the fact that the dollar is on par with Canadian currency and falling just means it costs more and more, regardless of any international oil price fluctuation. Bush's sand box adventure and fiscal approach is as much to blame for the increase in cost as anything...

B

Um, actually, the big thing affecting the price of oil right now isn't that, it's speculators playing games. The Saudis recently commented that they're actually starting to have to sit on some supplies of oil because nobody is buying at the current price - which they don't like either, since it makes alternatives more economically viable.

You are not the only one who might change vehicles Mr. P.

I spent over $5,000 on fuel for my Pathy last year and it never got into 4 low for work purposes due to the changing forest industry. I do a lot of long distance highway driving for my work now, with a bit of logging road travels. I am looking at the Subaru Forester as an alternative as it will get me to my bush work OK but will get much better fuel mileage on the highway drives.

I may get another vehicle, but I won't dump the pathy. Probably going to get a car to drive when the weather is good, and use the truck for the bad winter storms.

Yeah it's frickin ridiculous but consider this. What happens when the citizens of China all decide that they want to buy cars with their proceeds from a burgeoning economy? It makes me wonder if current prices are just the tip of the iceberg.

Edited by daftpup

Nope...we're pampas driving asses...its all an experiment to see what we will pay B4 they level it out...they finally realized that no matter what we'll drive...fskcing gas kicked up .22 in my town today and the mother was packed...i'm thinkin I need to get taht pathy transported ASAP b/c the fskcing cost in the past year to transport it has doubled in the last year...its only going to get worse... good thing we all make killer money to keep our offroading hobby alive and free...

uhh someone want to come pick me up for a ride this weekend...i'll pay for gas...got the offroad bug again...and no working pathy in sight...

I am currently looking into a Powerstroke to convert to veggie oil. This way I can afford to drive to work and tow the Pathy to the trails. My small way to screw the oil companies. Granted they will never feel it but it will make me feel better.

Gas = necassary evil!

I would like to look into bio diesel. I like chemistry and think it would be really cool to make your own bio diesel. Unfortuantely I lack the time and $ to invest in learning, converting a diesel vehicle and buying the equipment needed. Before too long companies and resturaunts will start charging an arm and a leg for their used cooking oil!

$142 to fill my truck today. last tank lasted exactly one week. it sucks big time and is causing me to look for a job closer to home. spending $500 a month on gas is really slowing down all my projects :(

:wtf:

Are you talking about something other than the Pathy? There is no way you should pay more than $85 for a tank in a Pathy, even with premium.

I'm still putting only about $200-$250/ month in my Pathy and I drive it all over town on a daily basis. If I were to get another vehicle I would go larger not smaller.

Are you talking about something other than the Pathy? There is no way you should pay more than $85 for a tank in a Pathy, even with premium.

I'm still putting only about $200-$250/ month in my Pathy and I drive it all over town on a daily basis. If I were to get another vehicle I would go larger not smaller.

It would cost me 96 canadian if were to fill it from bone dry, luckily the most I've ever put in is 70.

I think he's talking about his pickup?

I drive a total of 40 miles a day to school/work mid week...and 80-100 miles weekend...I only have the Path and its terrible on fuel but I dont care...I can afford it(now). I had a bike(Kawasaki Ninja) but it was stolen a year ago while I was at school...unforinatly no cameras or insurance(NH you dont need it)..so I'm stuck so I pay the price.

Pretty good read. I wonder how much all that info compares to today.

what? today is today. check the graphs and numbers.. welcome to the reality.

You are not the only one who might change vehicles Mr. P.

I spent over $5,000 on fuel for my Pathy last year and it never got into 4 low for work purposes due to the changing forest industry. I do a lot of long distance highway driving for my work now, with a bit of logging road travels. I am looking at the Subaru Forester as an alternative as it will get me to my bush work OK but will get much better fuel mileage on the highway drives.

you'll be surprised. subarus aren't all that on MPG. in fact they suck.

Yeah it's frickin ridiculous but consider this. What happens when the citizens of China all decide that they want to buy cars with their proceeds of a burgeoning economy? It makes me wonder if current prices are just the tip of the iceberg.

click my link. but in one word, yes.

I am currently looking into a Powerstroke to convert to veggie oil. This way I can afford to drive to work and tow the Pathy to the trails. My small way to screw the oil companies. Granted they will never feel it but it will make me feel better.

have you seen the price of diesel? and then read the reply below yours. i think the days of free veggie oil are numbered.

19gal*$4=$76.. and rising.. that's the cheapest unleaded.