Will oil K.O. the U.S.?

Mr. Pickles

QUOTE(Trainman @ May 23 2008, 06:12 PM) *

You are not the only one who might change vehicles Mr. P.

I spent over $5,000 on fuel for my Pathy last year and it never got into 4 low for work purposes due to the changing forest industry. I do a lot of long distance highway driving for my work now, with a bit of logging road travels. I am looking at the Subaru Forester as an alternative as it will get me to my bush work OK but will get much better fuel mileage on the highway drives.

you'll be surprised. subarus aren't all that on MPG. in fact they suck.

Not according to the other forestry types who drive them as I want to. They get about 25-30% better MPG than I am getting on the Pathy, at least on the highway. If I can reduce my fuel bills by 25%, that would be great considering I am having to take 10% cuts on my charge-out rates due to the poor state of our forest industry.

But it would be a gamble as far as longevity of the Forester with the bush work it would see.

I'm with Grim, when I finally buy another vehicle it will be bigger and pretty new. atleast the newer pickups are getting decent mileage. Atleast about as good as my pathfinder is if driven easy.

Um, actually, the big thing affecting the price of oil right now isn't that, it's speculators playing games.

Yes, I completely understand the speculator part of things, but when the dollar is worth 66% of it's previous international value (say, from 5 years ago) the price of oil just went up 50% with no change of international price. IE $50 a barrel just went up to $75... Yes, that does apply, more than people are realizing.

I'm with Grim, when I finally buy another vehicle it will be bigger and pretty new. atleast the newer pickups are getting decent mileage. Atleast about as good as my pathfinder is if driven easy.

Sad, but true... My neighbor got a new GMC kingcab truck last year, and gets about 21MPG overall. I don't see that with the Pathy. Mainly because I rarely get on the freeway any distance and the path to work has plenty of stoplights and fools, I average about 15mpg. While the rise in gas prices means an additional $30 a month to my fuel bill (I could care less), I'm still not happy about it and cringe at the thought of road trips... I'm not sure what to do, as I always want a truck/4x4 around but it doesn't look good for the Pathyguzzler...

Oh, my regular gas station (the 2nd or 3rd cheapest within 20 miles) just hit $3.999. It's a new milestone in my life, and I glad, GLAD I say that we are occupying an oil rich country!! It has made a tremendous difference (in our deficit).

WTF is up with the tenths of a dollar @!*% at the gas stations? When do they understand that .1 cents doesn't matter when it''s $4 a gallon? Knock that @!*% off!!

The other day I filled up and the GF pointed out that there was a 45 cent fee for using a debit card. Ok, so I put in 15 gallons, thats 3 cents more a gallon. Whatever!!! :rolleyes:

B

Yes, I completely understand the speculator part of things, but when the dollar is worth 66% of it's previous international value (say, from 5 years ago) the price of oil just went up 50% with no change of international price. IE $50 a barrel just went up to $75... Yes, that does apply, more than people are realizing.

You do realize that about 90% of that decline has happened since the Democrats gained control of Congress, right? And that Congress has more effect on the economy than the administration does, right?

Before you start blaming "the evil Bu@!*%ler" for it, you might want to check the timeline there.

That said, the dollar has been grossly overvalued since the early 90s. We were overdue for a correction - though I think it swung too far. On the other hand, all that outsourcing that people were complaining about? Yeah, it's coming to an end and such jobs are now coming back/staying in the US.

Edited by GhostPath

You do realize that about 90% of that decline has happened since the Democrats gained control of Congress, right?

LOL, yeah... You do realize that things take time to turn around, that the way was paved long before that? You do realize that the value of the dollar is directly related to the GNP (sheer idiocy that the housing market is included!!! No not related to Bush...) and the FEDERAL DEFICIT. What makes the dollar so cheap is the low GNP (the outsourced jobs don't help that) and the fact that we are in debt up to our hoops!! Bush's sand box games caused the majority of that. Period.

Before you go getting all Republicrat and Demican on me, I have no allegiance to either party and think that anyone who votes 'party wise' just because, is a fool. On the other hand, the lack of popular vote deciding an election takes the meaning away from many American's votes. The system sucks, lets face it...

The current economic situation was created by the current administration, not by congress for the last, what, 1.5 years?? Dude, you have a brain...

B

I love how the analysts (so called professionals) back in March commented that we should expect to see gas prices falling up to 50 cents a gallon... they kept going up. In April, they stated that gas should top out around 3.75 for the summer... it kept going up...

We have exceeded the prices seen in August of 05 and there isn't a hurricane to be found.

Even though I was sad to see my old pathy bite the dust I can complain about the MPG that im getting with the new one. On the way back home yesterday I was averaging 20 mpg with the best at 22.5 and the worst around 18.5. Granted that was all highway but I was crusing at around 80 the whole way. And in town I can get the same numbers if i feather it, but normally I get around 18.5 city. And thats with more power and using regular instead of the recommoned premium. So yes you can get a pathy that has decent MPG, but it would have to be an R50 :tonguefinger:

Edited by csutke

I love how the analysts (so called professionals) back in March commented that we should expect to see gas prices falling up to 50 cents a gallon... they kept going up. In April, they stated that gas should top out around 3.75 for the summer... it kept going up...

We have exceeded the prices seen in August of 05 and there isn't a hurricane to be found.

From what Ive been reading and it makes sense is that the oil companies are testing to see how much we will pay before the prices level off. For example, when I left for my trip gas was 4.25 and when I returned it was 4.15 but that also could be becuase of the memorial day weekend.

I hope things are about to level off. There is rioting going on in other countries over the price of fuel.

Oil=Necassary Evil (my favorite thing to say these days)

Good to hear your getting such good gas mileage Issac. But at this point my next vehicle will be a Titan or Big Chevy pickup with the kingcab and a normal size box

Just because i want a big vehicle.

Edited by zonianbrat

I never trust any of the money advisor types. If they knew what thy were talking about, they would have more money themselves.

:w tf: Who were these "analists" and what were they analyzing? You and I have the ability to realize that catastrophic events and/or world relief, and/or supply-demand, and/or global strife will all factor in to this escalation of a monster with no head. We really need to consider an alternative.

Yeah I talk a game, but what will I do about it?