CV Boots?

lightfoot1316

i usually use the hand-full of grease to manually to slap on method, followed by a lot of duct-tape. it has gotten me through the years considering the fact i usually do not use 4wd much. i guess i will suck it up take the time and stop complaining to just get it done right. rrrrrrrrrrggggggggghhhh. :shiftyeyes:

tanks all for the input. :broken:

well i was at autozone tonight buying some stuff for my Xterra and i asked the guy if he had a split boot for my pathy.... he looked it up and he had 1 left...... now here is my ? is the inner and outer boot the same dimensions????? or are they different.. .the reason i ask is i have a cut on the inner and outer, and autozone only has the outer... thanks for all the help.....

here is the link to see the boot i bought....\

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP56508/vehicle...oductDetail.htm

Edited by json3904

well i was at autozone tonight buying some stuff for my Xterra and i asked the guy if he had a split boot for my pathy.... he looked it up and he had 1 left...... now here is my ? is the inner and outer boot the same dimensions????? or are they different.. .the reason i ask is i have a cut on the inner and outer, and autozone only has the outer... thanks for all the help.....

here is the link to see the boot i bought....\

http://www.autozone.com/R,APP56508/vehicle...oductDetail.htm

if your doing a half a$$ job, why are you even bothering to do anything at all?

:stickwack:

well like i said there isn't anything wrong with the cv's just the boot..... so why buy another cv shaft if its not needed.... so is there a answer to my ? is that sarcasm or just someone trying to get me to spend money on something that just needs a new boot....... there is nothing wrong with the split boot... so whats the problem.... he!! one of the posts before mine said he used duct tape for years......

I think his point was; split boots are crap, you can buy regular full boots to replace them with, so do that or don't do anything. :shrug:

I wouldn't bother with the split boot, a new full bot is $15 or less each. Also, yes, inner and outers are different.

Use duct tape and save the cost of the split boot (which sux).

you can get a replacement half axle for $99 (then pull the old one and take your time doing it right (and have a spare))

I think his point was; split boots are crap, you can buy regular full boots to replace them with, so do that or don't do anything. :shrug:

I wouldn't bother with the split boot, a new full bot is $15 or less each. Also, yes, inner and outers are different.

ding, ding, ding we have a winner

why would i give a to$$ what money you spend - i live on a different continent.......

Edited by sw

I ran a split boot replacement for 2 years, no problems. Then... problems. ;) BTW, I paid $20 for a split boot, plus tons of cussing and bitching getting those tiny little nuts and bolts into those tiny peaks and valleys, with grease everywhere. The local NAPA has reman'd half shafts, in box with warranty, for $62.

Screw it, if you're already under there tearing into things, why monkey around with fixing an old part. Replace and call it a day. If not, like others have said, save yourself the PITA and just duct tape it until you can get around to replacing. Seriously.

"is that sarcasm or just someone trying to get me to spend money on something that just needs a new boot....... there is nothing wrong with the split boot... "

Have you done it, or looked at a manual? There is quite a fair amount of work involved in replacing a boot, even once you have it out of the truck. I'd bet its quick on your 2nd or 7th attempt, but the cost difference between buying a split boot vs. a replacement isn't too bad. Much worse if you're paying for the labor. And yes, there are long term issues with split boots over time.

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Meh....replacing a boot with a PROPER boot isn't that bad, and typically the right boot is cheaper than the split ones. NOt only that, doing it the right way allows you to clean off all the grease, and get any and all dirt out of the joint, inspect it, re-pack with grease, and re-install. I did it on my old truck and it only took me about an hour and a half. NO biggie, and only cost me like $15CDN, grease and all.

Yeah, it sounds like a PITA involved process to pull a CV off, but it really isn't.

Those that say just replace the whole thing, glad you have extra $$ to throw around on replacing good working parts. I have a hard enough time getting the $$ together to replace the broken parts, let alone the good ones.

well at the time of the previous post i didn't not know that they made a replacement boot...... only a split boot i found them today and one is for 15 and the other is 22 i think..... i will be going that route....... thanks....

Meh....replacing a boot with a PROPER boot isn't that bad, and typically the right boot is cheaper than the split ones. NOt only that, doing it the right way allows you to clean off all the grease, and get any and all dirt out of the joint, inspect it, re-pack with grease, and re-install. I did it on my old truck and it only took me about an hour and a half. NO biggie, and only cost me like $15CDN, grease and all.

I had one boot simply wear out, Used it as an excuse to replace all of them on both sides and be done with it, really not that bad. Greasy job but definitely worth the piece of mind to see that the CV's were in good shape and now have new grease.

i am taking the split boot back, i am having them order the inner and outer boot for the shaft..... will try to take some pics when i get a chance to do it.... LOL thanks for the input....

i am taking the split boot back, i am having them order the inner and outer boot for the shaft..... will try to take some pics when i get a chance to do it.... LOL thanks for the input....

I just did both of my half shafts last weekend. I had replaced both about 6 months ago with brand new ones. I rebuilt the stock ones since they obviously have better angles than the brand new ones. costed my 15 bucks for 4 boot kits (grease,clips,clamps,boots) Got them at rockauto.com

Pulling the balls out and and getting them back in was a pita. but it is done now. And make sure you mark where the spiders are aligned with the shafts or you could have balance problems.

Mark

• 1 month later...

hey guys,

i know that replacing the cv boot is the best option... but this is what i did and it has worked for me thus far.

i use a split cv boot and zip tight every smaller circle of the boot. yes, this is my 2nd replacement passenger side, my original split boot ripped from the little screw tabs. but since it did it this way, both outer boot is doing just fine. food for thought.

coucoui6

sorry having difficult time getting the picture on this forum.

ebayselling005.jpg

Edited by Coucoui6

• 4 years later...

Okay, I've replaced a half shaft on the other Pathy many moons ago...Now both boots are tore on this Pathy & I do have both replacement boots. Here we go.....do I just get two new complete shafts from Rock Auto or do I just replace the boot? $59.99 from Rock Auto. Cheaper for both compared to what I paid for just the one I replaced years ago.

Here is another question on this topic.....I've seen/read something about a company out there that makes HEAVY DUTY half shafts. Curious to know if anyone knows anything about them &/or has some? Where did you get them & how much? If I replace both shafts all together, I'll put the new boots on the old shafts & keep for spares.

Thanks for all ur input!