What is the longest Road or Expedition Trip you've taken your Pathfinder on?

NaturaTek

Hi, I thought maybe you guys can share the longest trip you've ever taken your pathfinder on, and maybe your experience with the Pathy on the adventure (belt broke? hose broke? any other downtime, or just simply kicked arse with no probs!)

Of course, the local friends with their 'lowriders' tell me the pathfinder wont make it long distances. I have driven mines plenty within NJ to NYC no probs, except a broken batt terminal. Other than that, seems like a workhorse. MPG sucks but on highway is sweeter. The most I've driven it was 80miles into PA from NJ, then back. No probs.

I was contemplating a future journey from NJ to FL, Streets&Trips tell me its a estimated 1,019.1 miles, with a price of 118.91$ estimated price for gas (uhm yeah, I get the feeling it will be more) and 15hrs,47minutes if I go nonstop. Maybe this is to big of a roadtrip, as the above will have to be doubled coming on the way back.

Whats your experiences with journeys on the pathfinder if any? Or whats the farthest your pathy has driven?

oh shoot, i have driven my pathfinders all over the east coast and have been to canada in my previous one. the total milage you're talking about is about my average vacation milage.. ~3k+ sometimes. on highway, it's just like any other ride; truck.

i really haven't had any major problems on any trip although i have worked on my vehicles while traveling around. this trip should be no sweat except unless you've never driven 16h straight then it will be a little bit. staying awake may be an issue.. depends on your experience..

definitely load up on CDs or however you carry your music. i actually enjoy listening to local music on the radio while i pass on by.. have heard some of the most interesting things out there.. music and talk.. my my, you learn a lot. :)

before this trip i'd also change motor oil (unless you just did it) and check all the other fluids and systems.. brakes, lights...

I've taken mine from DC to the Outer Banks which is about a six hour trip, drove around the beach all week and made it back without any trouble. This was when it had around 170K on it. Last longish trip was from Sarasota, FL to Marathon Key, FL, about five hours away with over 200k on the truck. Chances are the major mechanicals won't let you down. It's usually the little stuff (i.e., broken hose, fan clutch, electrical issue) that will slow you down.

I'd plan for a two day trip each way, though. 16 hours is a really long time to be nonstop driving without taking meth.

My old one went from ottawa to washington dc and somewhere in virginia like 3 or 4 times, all of those times nothing ever let us down, although while we were at my dads friends place (our destination) we did replace the front and rear bumpers, although that was planned when we left. Also there where countless trips from ottawa to montreal, toronto, mont tremblant (resort). the last road trip we ever took her on was a few weeks before we stopped driving it. It had 340k on it and we left ottawa, drove to montreal to see my uncle, drove around there a bit, then headed up to mont tremblant for a nice vacation. After that we went straight back to ottawa. Truck had no issues. Ever.

I'd drive my new one to florida and back right now. If i had the cash :lol:

For my business I have to drive to places like Prince George, Vanderhoof, Fort St. James and Athabasca. We are talking up to 2,000 km round trip, plus the driving for the client at the destination.

Never had any problems, but I always make sure she is in tiptop shape. Fore example, I went to PG 2 weeks ago while they where having -30 weather, so I had my battery checked and sure enough it was a bit weak, so I replaced it before I went.

Back road trips are typically limited to 2 hrs or less as it is working time and any more driving would eat too much into the work part of a day.

As for fuel consumption, I am very happy with what I get. It is after all a good, off-road capable truck and I do not expect to get the same economy as even our van. If that was important, I would drive a Forester or X-Trail.

haven't done any super long trips with mine but i've covered most of western oregon a couple times, longest would have to be 10 hours of straight cruising in winter conditions, but after we got married we took off for a 4 day weekend through southern oregon and up the coast, that was just over a thousand miles and the smoothest sailing :)

i've taken mine to florida once (4400kms round trip), and a couple times 8 hours north to timmins. Countless 500-800km trips and i've never had a problem outside of an exhaust leak before i repaired it. I ran about 1200km during adventure weekend back in aug-sept (wheeling included) but that's peanuts compared to Mookie's journeys. Once i have a few things cleaned up on mine i will take it for another roadtrip. who knows, maybe even to Mookie's neck of the woods!

I took mine to Chicago from NJ and back. It was a long drive. Got OK gas mileage. I think I got abot 320 miles per tank. Maybe 340 but that would be max. It was my first long trip (and the only one that far) since I've had the truck. I had just gotten the hi-flow cat installed and the electric fan.

I would love to go again but I need to do something for some better mpg.

I have had no real long single trips on the pathy, but I used to drive it between 550 and 1000 miles a week at one point for work (city/highway mix). And other than when my clutch broke (yes broke, it did not wear out) I have not had any major problems since I replaced the engine 45,000 miles ago... The original engine was prone to problems though (ie broken cam shaft and rounded crank keyways) but that one just seemed cursed :shrug:

i drive my pathy 50 miles (min) a day for work, longest road trip was about 130 miles each way through the mountains.... and that is with the head gasket already going.... and had no problems except overheating going over the mountain (gee, there's a suprise!)

when i go wheelin "local" i drive 30 miles, plus usually about 10 miles on trail and then home again. they've always got me home.

I haven't taken king any further than to work n back and wheelin n back (max of 80 miles)... so we'll see.

yeah, 16 hours is a long drive if yer not used to long haul driving (i used to drive semi's to KY from CA), so you will either need a co driver or a rest for sleep on the way

**lmfao JJ @ "...without taking meth" :laugh:

Edited by Slick

longest trek was from my driveway down to cabo san lucas, the tip of baja. It was about 1000 miles, one way (hence the name, Baja 1000)

The QX4 did great, didn't break down once, didn't overheat. did lots of offroading.

Anyone who says a Pathfinder is not reliable is confused.... try driving an F150 or a range rover into Baja.

Pathfinder is in Toyota territory when it comes to reliability. I have 140k miles - not a single problem to date, still drives perfectly (and its been abused)

PS - I also own a 2001 Chevy astro which has been babied and maintained from day 1 - at 100k miles its a total piece of junk, barely runs, its ready for its death bed.

Longest trip my 93 has been on was from here in Central Ohio to Southern Florida, 18 hrs drive time each way. On top of that I went wheeling in KY on my way down to FL which added another 6 hrs on the way down (forget all the milages). I take a 5-9 hr (depending on location) drive to go wheeling about every 3 months, and both my Pathfinders get to play like that.

Remember, 3000 miles might sound like a long trip, but look at it this way it is just an oil change interval. How many people are afraid their car won't last till the next oil change?

Longest trip in the pathy was from Toronto, down to Tremont, PA to go wheeling. Only issue I had was day 3 of offroading, I broke a shockmount... I was lucky it didnt let go on the highway.

I had no problems but wouldn't do it again, the Pathy is not really designed for long open road travel.

Why not, mines very comfortable and handles great. What do you find is not good about it?

I have taken my pathy on two long road trips since I have had it. The first was from Tacoma, WA to Death Valley, CA, total of 2,000+ miles. On the way down we drove for 23 hours stopping only for gas and it had no problems. The second was from Tacoma to Moab. We drove for 14 hours again stopping only for gas, wheeled Moab for the week and then drove back. I also take it on 3-400 mile road trips all the time and have never had a problem. With 213,000 I would jump in and drive it to Florida right now.

Why not, mines very comfortable and handles great. What do you find is not good about it?

LOL the aerodynamics on the WD21 is a joke, I was all over the road especially when behind those 18 wheelers. I'm sorry but Pathfinder's don't top the charts when it comes to comfort, heck it's a truck frame.

I love my Pathy but if I had to drive from NY to Florida again it would be in a Cadillac CTS or something.

lol, my pathy was on a 6000 mile plus road trip last summer, about 4000 miles out from school to my parents place, and back towing a fully loaded trailer. my pathy has 220k on it so it seen quite alot of trips.

LOL the aerodynamics on the WD21 is a joke, I was all over the road especially when behind those 18 wheelers. I'm sorry but Pathfinder's don't top the charts when it comes to comfort, heck it's a truck frame.

I love my Pathy but if I had to drive from NY to Florida again it would be in a Cadillac CTS or something.

:ill:

For driving, my Pathfinders are perfectly comfortable, I can't stand "plush" seats, I actually think they hurt after about 5 minutes. For "aerodynamics" meh, mine ride well as long as there isn't a 30mph+ crosswind, never had an issue with a 18 wheeler (they make good draft partners if you run a CB though :sly: ). I'd take my Path to Florida again, but I wouldn't run it "non-stop" (asside from gas) again, not from ride comfort, but eye strain. Not saying the WDs are road warriors, but they're not bad at all for cruisin anywhere (better than a lot of cars I've rode in).

:ill:

For driving, my Pathfinders are perfectly comfortable, I can't stand "plush" seats, I actually think they hurt after about 5 minutes. For "aerodynamics" meh, mine ride well as long as there isn't a 30mph+ crosswind, never had an issue with a 18 wheeler (they make good draft partners if you run a CB though :sly: ). I'd take my Path to Florida again, but I wouldn't run it "non-stop" (asside from gas) again, not from ride comfort, but eye strain. Not saying the WDs are road warriors, but they're not bad at all for cruisin anywhere (better than a lot of cars I've rode in).

Amen!

Mine rides comfortable on highway in my 30mile runs. As I'm learning about cars and all that stuff, I keep in mind that I'm running 31 tires which makes accelerating a bit slow, but once I'm up at in the 55mphs, it rides good. It's safe to say, your ride comfortable quality status, will be as comfortable as all the love you put into it. If you don't maintain ride, comfortableness will suffer. One of my major complaints with my pathy is I hear outside noise a lot. I find my drivers side door almost like its not sealing on top, when I read thats a problem in some pathys. I roll the window down and kinda grab and bend towards me and that seems to help. I still would love to take it on a long ride somewhere, yeah the mileage will suck, but hey, gotta pay the price of the pathy gods :)