At Or Mt Tires

catfish1987

i am about to by new tires and am going back and forth between AT or MT. i drive about 40 miles round trip to work each day and have had some people tel me that MT's are a bad idea. just wandering if anyone had some advice on this. right now i have 31x10.5 AT's on it and i'm planing on puting the same size back. thanks for any help

i would def go with the AT, reasons being that your gonna better tread life, better gas milage, less wear and tear on your self (noise of MT's can be kinda loud). There are a few option in the AT market that will give you the best of both worlds such as Bridgestone Dueller AT Revo, Yokohama Geolander AT+II if you can get them or its replacement the Geolander AT/S

just my .02

I think it depends on the tire make and/or your driving habits, but the tread wear and gas mileage thing is BS. I consistantly get BETTER mileage with my BFG MTs than my BFG ATs and they have about 60k on them with about 1/3 tread left. They are noisier though, that is true.

The Gas mileage thing, as well as tread wear is also dependant on the tire design and rubber compound. I didn't notice any gas mileage decrease when I went to MT's.

Also, climate is a factor as well. Slushy/icy roads and MT's don't mix very well. An AT will serve you better in this regard. Also, in wet weather an AT will be better.

The REVO's are a great tire, as are the BFG AT KO's Either one will do very well on the trail, reasonably well in mud, and do very well on the road.

Go with the MT if you do some serious muddin...otherwise stick with the AT as it should do well in all conditions. My BFG AT's hold up well in pretty much anything I throw at it (I would definately recommend them), and I don't believe they let me down too much in the mud. I feel the fact that I don't have LSD hurts me way more...

And on the noise issue - I kinda like the hum of MT tires! lol These rigs aren't luxury vehicles -- but I guess it's all just personal taste. :shrug:

Well, it's a question I often fight with myself...

Ask yourself if you really even need MT's? Will they do anything for you that the AT's dont?

In my case, the only upside would be how effing cool they look. So, reluctantly I stick with my AT's.

One more vote for A/T's. Functionally, they are far superior in wet, slushy, or icy conditions.

Function before form, says the middle aged technogeek enginerd.

I have a set of each - A/T's are there for all uses except when going out in the desert (cactus and sharp rocks) where I want the tougher sidewalls and tread of the Cooper STT's.

I just got a set of Yokohama Geolander AT-S's. I don't regret my choice for a second. They're super quiet on road, and they lapped up everything I threw at them off road last weekend with hardly a complaint. Plus they look super aggresive despite being an AT.

IMG_0985-1.jpg

I just got a set of Yokohama Geolander AT-S's. I don't regret my choice for a second. They're super quiet on road, and they lapped up everything I threw at them off road last weekend with hardly a complaint. Plus they look super aggresive despite being an AT.

Yeah I've hit about 40k on my Revo's and the tread is still holding up. I am pretty sure that I will buy another set since this winter will probably be their last one, but I've got the Geolanders right at the top of my list too from all the good things I've heard over the years.

Edited by RedPath88

I have heard good things about General Tire's Grabber AT2 (they redesigned them reciently). I stress that i heard this. I personally rock the BFG AT KO's and i love them.

You can also go to a JY and get some stock steel wheels for cheap and run some generic tire for street and switch to the MT or AT for off-road.

I found a set of 4 used tires with almost 10k miles left on them at the local jeep dealer (inside the crap tire recycle bin = Free tires) and had BIG O mount them on stock rims for $20. I use them on my 2nd pathfinder and they work well for street use. This way you can have a quiet and almost free street tire and then switch when you go wheelin to not sacrifice any offroad abitilites gained by MT tires.

Matthew

Edited by McClurgM

What they said. :) Honestly, I've never driven my Pathy with AT's, and only for like 2 months in my 720 before it, its been mudders all the way. But I've driven AT's on other rigs, and they're fine all around. MT's slip more in the rain and more so in ice, I just got used to it. That being said, I'm in WA so it doesn't get super cold and most trails are either dry or muddy, no real inbetween. Climate is a biggie, and it looks like you're in OK, so I'm betting rain and wet for 9 months isn't a concern. ;)

My Pathy started as a commuter rig, and I got about 45K miles out of a set of BFG MT's, and I'm 15K into my ProComp MT's with tons of tread to spare, granted my commute shrunk from 25-30 each way to 5. I'd take the ProComps anyday over the BFG's, as they have some siping and are better in the wet. I bet you could get more out of an AT, but how much more depends on how you drive I guess.

As much as MT's look cool, and AT's are usually very capable in most situations, its down to personal choice and what you have to deal with in your world. AT's will get you through most stuff great, they're generally quieter, they might get a little better mileage, and are usually a little cheaper. On the other hand, I don't like getting stuck. Period. I only go on long road trips in the Pathy for camping in the summer, and I want to be able to tackle most anything, so MT's it is. Good luck!

What they said. :) Honestly, I've never driven my Pathy with AT's, and only for like 2 months in my 720 before it, its been mudders all the way. But I've driven AT's on other rigs, and they're fine all around. MT's slip more in the rain and more so in ice, I just got used to it. That being said, I'm in WA so it doesn't get super cold and most trails are either dry or muddy, no real inbetween. Climate is a biggie, and it looks like you're in OK, so I'm betting rain and wet for 9 months isn't a concern. ;)

I agree as I also liver in WA, I have MT's on my Yota and AT's on the Pathy... as a result each must be driven differently in rain, snow and ice. The MT's just are not good for those conditions driving on pavement.

My Pathy started as a commuter rig, and I got about 45K miles out of a set of BFG MT's, and I'm 15K into my ProComp MT's with tons of tread to spare, granted my commute shrunk from 25-30 each way to 5. I'd take the ProComps anyday over the BFG's, as they have some siping and are better in the wet. I bet you could get more out of an AT, but how much more depends on how you drive I guess.

bitchslap.gif's Pickles... perhaps that siping is why the PC's get better traction than your BFG's did :lol:

I have had the opportunity to drive the Pathy with both siped tires and non-siped (is that a word? :lol: ). They were and are the exact same tires, the BFG AT's currently on my rig. siping made a big difference in wet road braking and I believe that any tire, MT's included could benefit on road from that modification.

As much as MT's look cool, and AT's are usually very capable in most situations, its down to personal choice and what you have to deal with in your world. AT's will get you through most stuff great, they're generally quieter, they might get a little better mileage, and are usually a little cheaper. On the other hand, I don't like getting stuck. Period. I only go on long road trips in the Pathy for camping in the summer, and I want to be able to tackle most anything, so MT's it is. Good luck!

To expand on that, you need to really consider the conditions that you will be using the truck on once you get new tires. If you will be spending a lot of time off road then MT's may be your best option, but if the majority of your new tires life will be on road then AT's will serve you better overall... and you'll likely get a longer tread life ot of them that you would MT's under the same conditions.

Something of note about my choice to go with AT's may also be worth mentioning.

When I bought the tires I was driving 100+ miles a day for work, now that I drive a flat 40miles round trip in the Pathy (company vehicle for the remaining 60+) my next set of tires may not be AT's. I went with the AT's before do too the majority of my drives conditions (on road racking up two and a half to three and a half thousand miles a month) Since the length of my daily drive in the truck has dropped considerably and I currently do not have to drive on the freeway, I will be re-evaluating what tire I go with next time.

Since the BFG AT's have served me well (as most of the AT's mentioned above would)I may end up sticking with them for my next set... but then again the MT's on my Yota have also treated me very well :D