Perfect pathy

thndrwhls

Ok, I just got through reading a previous post concerning engine mods and what we can do to these seemingly pitiful pathys to pep them up. Well I want to know what you guys would do if money was not such the object to make your pathys more powerful.

Here are the rules:

1. Money is no object

2. No swapping motors outside Nissan, i.e. Chevy, Ford, etc...

3. Lets keep phase one in relatively stock suspension, i.e. no SAS'ing...

We can get around to Extreme Dream Machines later, after all this is a Nissan Pathfinder forum, start swapping out all the parts and you end up with frankenpathy...

I am curious to see how creative you experienced guys can get, i.e. polish and porting, computer mods, etc... And if anyone knows of any tranny mods feel free to elaborate.

Let the fun begin...

Edited by thndrwhls

currently sorta working on that project...but on a very limited budget...and not mainly for more power...but when i originally was looking for a sr design project it was going to be retrofitting an eaton m90 SC onto the 87 until i got out bid and then broke the motor...so for now...

im putting a 95 motor in my 87 and swapping the dash and as much of the interior as possible...also swapped fuel doors so now i have an open inside fuel door...i wouldnt mind throwing an MSD ignition back on it (wheelman had it installed in his pathy that i got the engine out of)...i do know just from driving the 2 that the 95's have more pickup than the 87 did...

for the future way on down the road esp not until i make sure the swap is working 100% i would like to install although its not for power:

air lockers in the front and rear(dont even know if they're out there for our trucks)

possibly a full body skid

maybe some cams on down the road

a combination of diamond plate/bedliner floor boards

i think it'b be interesting if you could mod ure frame rails to fit 1 of those crazy JDM skyline engines or a VG with turbos

Keeping it basic, Diesel swap w/ supercharger (dirt and turbo's make me nervous) intercooled, w/ cryo treated gears. Ahhh hell throw some propane injection in there too. Some skid plates, suspension, and lets go find a mud hole. (yeah the list could go on and on, but no frankenissans.)

1. 350 V8. Built for longevity and low end torque.

2. 700R4 automatic. GRANNY LOW FIRST!

3. Atlas II t-case, 3.8:1 gearing.

4. D44 front, Ford 9" rear, 4.56 gears.

5. 37" Swamper SX's(if they make 'em)

6. Armor, sliders, bumpers, winches front and rear.

Shoot, what else could you do to make one better? :D

Hmm some things that comes to mind...

UCA's

Full Steering upgrade

Locker(s)

P & P everywhere

Bore out the block

New cams

Intake upgrade (including a custom fitted snorkel)

Upgraded brakes (including Disks in the rear)

ARMOR Very Important

New Wheels/Tires

More that just is not coming to mind right now :shrug:

But if you’re going to go that far...

Oops, I read the subject and not all the text. What kinda crap is this? Trying to use only Nissan parts is ridiculous. They don't make enough HD parts to support my needs. It'd be a nit-picking festival and every part would damn near need to be custom or modified. I stand by my choices, and it would STILL be a Pathfinder. Just one with different parts on it.

I am actually trying to accomplish your goal as we speak. Other than keeping IFS which is just plain ludacris!

Here my dreams:

3.3 head swap, ported/polished, 3 angle valves, mild cam to keep low-end torque.

Bored block, new pistons to match heads, full balance.

Massive tranny cooler(that's about all you can do).

4:1 t-case gears and divorced case as doubler.

Hardened axle shafts and 5.13 gears.

Big brake conversion w/ slotted/drilled rotors, dual piston calipers, high friction pads.

Long arms fabbed with custom knuckle ends, custom upper shock mounts inside the cab.

Batteries and heavy storage compartments near center under the cab.

Custom rock sliders, bumpers, and roof rack all tied together like an exo, custom front to rear skid plate.

Custom console to accept three shifters, custom gauge pods, five-point

harnesses, half-doors w/ plexi-glass, relocated ECU.

Silver metallic paint w/ flat black accents......

And she's done!

Hmm, a '90 2 door, (mpi in the better body style), in blue, SE, 4 wheel discs, manual transmission, with the factory light bar, rear tire carrier. factory fogs, all the good sheet. Lockright in rear or modded lsd, lsd up front, 3 plus 3, 33" BFG muds on MB Motoring wheels, tcase gears, 4.9s. It would be the perfect all around truck for me, it'd work well on and offroad, look decent, haul a few passengers, and be hella fun wherever.

• 3 weeks later...
Oops, I read the subject and not all the text. What kinda crap is this? Trying to use only Nissan parts is ridiculous. They don't make enough HD parts to support my needs.

Well, he didn't say US available Nissan parts did he?

How about some HG260s? sly

1. 350 V8. Built for longevity and low end torque.

2. 700R4 automatic. GRANNY LOW FIRST!

3. Atlas II t-case, 3.8:1 gearing.

4. D44 front, Ford 9" rear, 4.56 gears.

5. 37" Swamper SX's(if they make 'em)

6. Armor, sliders, bumpers, winches front and rear.

Shoot, what else could you do to make one better? :D

I'd say 88 was on the right track.. However I have the perfrect pathy. The ony thing i'd like to do to mine to pic up some power is transplant a new 4.0L V6 from a new frontier!

and a set of 4.1 transfer case gears...

• 4 weeks later...

Well,

Start at the front of the vehicle and work back

Terrano Headlights with an HID swap (did it already)

Dual battery setup from a TD27 Terrano

H233 Front axle with factory locker and factory sway bar disconnects

Infiniti VH45DE mated to a Jatco Auto-Trans from a UD truck with a rear housing from a Patrol

Twin T-Cases with crawler gears in both of them

Parking brake on the driveshaft at the rear of the second transfer case

H260 rear axle that is stock width.