Center Link And Idler Arm Replacement

94pathfinder

is this an easy task to replace both the center link and idler arm or more a job for the shops to do? :scratchhead:

Thanks John

It is not difficult if you have the correct tools. Getting them off is the hardest part, some will come out easy, some will want to be difficult. You will need a 14 or 15mm socket and wrench, a fork and a rubber mallet.

I would recommend doing the tie rods at the same time and dont reuse any of the cotter pins, get new ones.

You should also do a front end alignment afterwards.

The OEM tie rods and center link come with new cotter pins and nuts.

Edited by Alkorahil

mytwocents.gif I think every nissan with a centerlink stering can benift from a HooHaa CL. Reguardless of where or how you drive it makes things allot smoother.

http://grassroots4x4.com/index.php?page=shop.browse&category_id=3&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=1

which is true, but at the moment im just concerned with getting it driving striaght again, and i can get the parts from autozone for 200 bucks and i'll keep the two centerlinks for when i do this modification so i only pay 129 bucks for it. but yes indeed they are better but :itsallgood: for now

personally, living in the rust/salt area...I can't get my idler arm bolts off, and the shop had said the TRE's were a bear...

Just to give you an idea, Im a 260lb guy, with a 24" or so breaker bar, and me LITERALLY putting my entire weight on the bar and jumping on it couldn't get it to budge...hopefully the shop can get it off D:

No salt in Nevada, sand at most IIRC??

You rust belt people just can't understand a 20 year old car with no rust. :D

It honestly shouldn't be that much of an issue getting things loose. Even with surface rust, a few wacks with a hammer and some PB blaster soaking for a few days and you are set. I didn't even need that and my truck spent a winter in Philly (I couldn't get the pitman arm off though).

B

get this, I took a steering box off of an early 80's d21 the other day and all the bolts came loose very easily, the box itself dissasembled easliy(so far) and the gear oil in there(manual steering) looked brand new. something so old and not a single seized bolt. Just my luck because I only had tools for a much smaller job and just happened to have a crecent wrench and lug wrench of the right sizes.

Yeah it's easy to do. Even living in the "Rust belt" my idler arm mounting bolts came off with ease and they looked to have never been removed before.

Count the threads on the old tie rods and adjusters and make it as close as possible on the new ones, so the alignment will be somewhat correct. Also you should get new sleeves if you get new tie rods. One of mine was stripped :ohno01:

Edited by adamzan

I disagree with buying new sleeves unless it comes as part of an assembly and it does not increase the price or it is bent or something. I don't believe I have ever replaced a sleeve in my life, much less seen a stripped one. :shrug:

B

The stock CL flexes and cause early failure of the TRE's. The "TK1" style Center Link (what HooHaa aka Grassroots CL is based on) eliminates that flex. The steering is one of the weakest links on our trucks (WD21's - 86.5-95)

the stock CL has a mini BJ on each end of it. these mini BJ's can allow for allot of slop & twisting. HooHaa removes the mini BJ's and replaces them with a stiff sperical bushing utilizing a larger 5/8" thru bolt. I actually replaced a new-ish CL with a HooHaa and STILL felt a good diferance. Soon to come will be my invinsible pitman arm...