Attention to Detail

I tried searching for topics that were similar to this one, but couldn't find any. That doesn't mean I'm right though, so if it's a repost, please feel free to remove it.

I want to start a thread about certain little things owners enjoy about their WD Pathfinders that came stock from the factory. Nissan has a good reputation for attention to detail, and out of all the cars that I have owned and many that I have driven, an 11-year old Pathfinder has had more nifty little features and details than all of them. For example:

1. The rearview mirror is attached to the roof of the car by a strut instead of to the glass. That is fantastic, for if it were the other way around I surely would have knocked it off four times by now.

2. The little plastic nubbins on the rear seat that hold the belts and buckles in place while you're rearranging.

3. The fact that the back seats recline. How many NEW cars have this ability?

4. Nissan included screw tensioners on all belts. A big help when changing out belts and getting them to proper tension.

5. Having three belts and an engine-driven fan, while less efficient, really improves redundancy. Losing one belt doesn't mean you lose your water pump or power steering. Two of the belts are close enough in size to be interchangeable! (probably not intentional, but still saved me once)

6. A spare tire carrier that is reliable, looks good, and swings the correct way.

Okay that's all I can think of for now.

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

2. The little plastic nubbins on the rear seat that hold the belts and buckles in place while you're rearranging.

on my 87 and 95 those things have long since been lost but for the longest time i had no idea y there were plastic tabs in the middle of the seats until 1 day it jumped in my head ...

7. i think one thing is the ride characteristics...esp the roll moments b/c i've been in serveral suv's (explorers, bronco II's, jeeps) that i felt really uncomfortable in taking small turns at any moderate rate of speed

8. how similar all the wd21s are in the interchangability of most parts including some of the nissan car parts as well

9. the reduction of blind spots from the drivers seat

-that h233b rear end

-steel diffs

-its different, ur not like everyone else with 4x4

-the look on ppls faces when they find out its a nissan

-the reliablity

-its pretty darn solid

-and like mentioned before, the interchangability of parts

-good wheelbase for a wheeler

and to be honest, if i didnt own one and i didnt know what these things are capable of, i would have never given these things a second thought

Edited by FLApathy

3. The fact that the back seats recline. How many NEW cars have this ability?

Hell yeah! My friends at work love it, 'cuz on the return trip from lunch the folks in back can recline. I think it's a significant factor in why I'm usually the one driving. :rolleyes:

Hmm, other coolness...

When we first got it I thought the XE was the upper-end version, partly because it had the same stereo as my dad's '91 G20, with better speakers (I almost cried when he traded it for a J30). Mine's still stock and it's low on the upgrade list.

With snow tires and 4wd as needed, it's been unstoppable in the CO winters. Had an (admittedly older) 4wd Subaru that slid around an icy mtn turn and right into/along the side of a guy's pickup while he was parked to put on chains. Never needed chains with the Pathy so far.

Even before I put on the 31's I laughed at many other suv's/truck's excuse for ground clearance.

IIRC many significant elements of the frame/drivetrain/etc are beefier on my 93 than later models... incl my bud's new Xterra. :P

:clap:

#6 Spark plug location

I mean where better to put a spark plug. I'd really like to shake the hand of the engineer that put that there.

hahah, #6 is freakin easy to get to once u know how to

haha yeah, and you put on a 3" body lift, then it's like cheating. Seriously, one of my favorite details of the vehicle is the overall comfort. I have ridden in every seat, and I can't really say that there is an uncomfortable seat. About the only uncomfortable places I have found is riding in the cargo area on a bumpy road, or on the roof, but I don't think they had those in mind when they designed her.

ditto on the beefy construction of these things. the beefy steel truck frame, steel bumpers (i would've broken plastic ones several times by now), 6 lug hubs... these things are practically indestructible!

i also like the factory fender flares.

i think my only real complaint is the under powered engine, but it's not that bad.

There isn't anything I DON'T like about my Pathy at the moment...except maybe that it could have a better cupholder set up ;) But if that's the only thing I can complain about...it's not a big deal...I've added a different cupholder anyways...and I'm completely happy with the truck....it's a hell of a wheeling rig too...I can't say I've been stuck yet, except for driver error (not enough momentum to get up over a certain obstacle....but I wasn't hard enough on the skinny pedal...so I'm all to blame for that one :) )

I too like the seatbelt clips in the rear, the fact that the seats recline, and the fact that you don't have to remove the lower part of the backseats to put the seats flat down (like you have to in an Xterra...had an '03 X as well in the past)...and yes, all the seats are comfortable, and two adults can fit comfortably in the back with little or no complaint after a long drive.

and to be honest, if i didnt own one and i didnt know what these things are capable of, i would have never given these things a second thought

very true i watched my 87 on the POV lot on bragg for about a month my aunt really liked nissans (my uncle that died of cancer only had datsuns and nissan trucks) so she talked my mom into it and i was like well ok (really didnt like how the rear end sat up so much higher and the small radials) so they went out and got it and after driving it for about a week i never wanted nething else

in turn my cuz(the aunts daughter) bought the 95 that i just recently bought from her

been hooked on pathys since 16

#6 Spark plug location

i havent ever really had a problem with it but i have seen much much worse on fwd cars and the ls1's

very true i watched my 87 on the POV lot on bragg for about a month my aunt really liked nissans (my uncle that died of cancer only had datsuns and nissan trucks) so she talked my mom into it and i was like well ok (really didnt like how the rear end sat up so much higher and the small radials) so they went out and got it and after driving it for about a week i never wanted nething else

in turn my cuz(the aunts daughter) bought the 95 that i just recently bought from her

been hooked on pathys since 16

i havent ever really had a problem with it but i have seen much much worse on fwd cars and the ls1's

You're damn right about the GM cars being a bitch to get to as far as the sixth plug...on my old W-Body...I was about to set fire to the car I was so pissed about the location of that damn plug pssd

Also,

• The jump-up steering column

• The automatic heating/air-conditioning system

• The seats being low to the floor for that sporty feel

• The cargo tie-downs/net for the rear cargo area

• The E-AT adjustable automatic transmission

And the fact that I drive over obsticles that make Wrangler owners ask "How come *his* wheels didn't come off the ground like mine did?" :-)

i love the handling best. in no other suv would you DARE to zoom round corners at the speeds i somethimes take them in my pathy. :D

it's very comfy

the 5 link rear

parts compatibility

looks (once the front gets a bit of a makeover)

the fact that you can choose from 3 different stances depending on taste (ie: nose down/back up.. or back down/nose up or level)

that it comes STOCK on 31's (ok.. mine didn't but most do)

the fact you can cram an awful lotta crap inside when the seats are down

all the little doodads n gadgets you pay $1,000's extra for on any other make/model

umm... i'm sure there's more........ -bounce-

#6 Spark plug location

I mean where better to put a spark plug. I'd really like to shake the hand of the engineer that put that there.

I'd like to shake the neck of that engineer :furious:

the fact that you can lift it for under a few hundred bucks....try that with a ifs chevy....the durability the damn thing will rust away before it quits running. Manual 4wheel shifter and the auto hubs that stay ingaged there is a noble concept

The front lip on the ashtray can be used as a bottle opener

I NEVER THOUGHT OF THAT!!!!!

:bow: :bow: :bow: :bow: -alcohol-

I really like how well these rigs handlewhen 'wheelin.....go a lotof places in 2WD that most jeepers cant

ALso like the car-like feel of the whole thing its like offroading in an older lexus

-<Fixed your Quote tags>-

Edited by vengeful

I agree with many of the already mentioned items, but the one thing that really amazes me is the diffs+tranny+tcase breathers that come up way up high to where the windshield wiper motor is. Also number 6 plug is easy if you use the Nissan supplied tool.

I am also amazed that we got rear disc brakes.

that nifty lil interlock button (although its on the wrong side IMO)...not even sure if my 95 has it but it is awsome in the 87 if the keys over just bump that lil button and she'll crank right up just gotta be careful if its in gear cuze that doesnt matter

Yeah, the fact that Nissan supplied that spark plug tool was really nice. It also comes with a fairly substantial jack as far as cars are concerned. The tire iron is better than ones you can go out and buy at the store! One time I broke a Pontiac Grand Am's tire iron by using it...it was a piece of pipe rounded into a hex head...after a few twists, I had rounded it back into a circle! I went back to my car (then a non-Pathfinder) to get a cross-wrench.

Also, the little doors in back to access the amps and taillight fixtures are awesome for holding small tools, jumper cables, spare belts, a spare cap and rotor, etc. I'm sure Nissan didn't intend for that, but it sure works out nice for me!

Also in the pre-airbag days gloveboxes were HUGE. I keep a giant Maglite, a Chilton's guide, the owner's manual, and all sorts of other stuff in there.

OH and this is a BIG one...(for me)...the parking brake handle is located on the console like God intended. Helps big time with the manual transmission when getting started on hills, unlike clumsy press-to-release foot pedals.

WHEN YOU PRESS THE STEERING WHEEL IN THE CENTER, THE HORN GOES OFF. I can't stress the importance of this. As nice as airbags supposedly are, they've caused a great loss of this ability. Little buttons on the side are impossible to find when you're mad and you only have one hand available.

Other little things:

Easy-access air filter

Air vents, typically something to break quickly on a car, are set up in such a way that the entire body pivots up and down, and only inside that body do the vents pivot left and right...Very simple and effective.

Factory alarm and keyless entry, that, after 11 years, still works flawlessly.

Okay, I'm sure I'll think up more, because it's fun, but for now, again, that is all.

I can't really think of too much specifically (mostly stuff already said), but I just remember when I first got mine how everything was where I expected it to be... Stupid things like when I had to put my cell phone somewhere, there'd be a perfect spot for me to put it (that little space on the console up next to the gear shifter). When I was outside the car and I had to set down my drink, there was a perfectly level edge there on the end of the car that looked just made for putting things on. Not rounded or anything like some cars, it looked like they made it intentionally for that purpose.

It was like someone had thought out every little detail on these cars lol. Every stupid little thing I'd try and do, there was some compartment or some feature that looked like it was designed just for that. It was little stuff, but it really made me fall in love with my car.