Custom Rear Tire Carrier & Sliders

Pezzy

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

here is a bumper with the hi-lift jack on the angled brace that supports the spare. Would interfere with the CB antennae but just for ideas - since it seems most of the R50 owners are fixated on rear bumpers recently. I like the side guards, for wheeling in trees the rear quarters take a lot of abuse. I think this is by Hanna, who does nice work, and really makes some overbuilt stuff. The Land Cruisers can take a lot more weight hanging off the rear end than R50s, but this pic was just to show the side guards and hi-lift option for ideas.

post-7-1144842534.jpg

I dont have a hi-lift so it wasnt in the planning, but with a bit of work we could add that if I ever do want.

No hi-lift? :o What will you use if you get a flat while on the trail? (I hope you weren't counting on the bottle jack!) ;)

Edited by XPLORx4

• 1 year later...

Similar to Pezzy's and many other tire carriers, my bumper's tire carrier also uses a similar spindle for the hinge. The most important thing about welding to the spindle is to prevent it from getting too hot, or the metal will crystallize and fail. My spindle was TIG-welded in phases to keep the metal cool.

hingebracket.jpg

Probably a safer solution is to build the tire carrier hinge in double-shear, with a bracket above and below the hinge, and not use a trailer axle spindle at all. In this pirate4x4 thread you can see how the trailer spindle snapped (crystallized metal), and the redesigned hinge was built in double-shear.

For the latch, I recommend this part, #5071A62. (To order, go to mcmaster.com and enter "5071A62" in the search field.)

latch.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4

Hinge... that was a custom job -- a relative of my ex who has his own shop made a few for us. We had to be careful as XPLORX4 said re: heat... it was a matter of making a few welds then letting it cool...

Latch... mine is pretty much the same as above... I was going to go snap a pic, thanks for saving me Dean! :D

Tires... I've had the Revo AT's since April 2005 and have had no problems, they didn't seem to alter my millage much, they're good in the winter, and I love them offroad... They may not be mudders, but they have seen a lot of mud, and rocks, and they haven't held me back.

• 1 year later...