best snow driving techniques?

FUELER

Slow and no sudden movements, either gas, brake or steering. Low pressure couldn't hurt either, and having your tires siped is a definate plus.

And for more practice, find yourself a nice open parking lot to let 'er rip. sly

Slow and no sudden movements, either gas, brake or steering.  Low pressure couldn't hurt either, and having your tires siped is a definate plus. 

And for more practice, find yourself a nice open parking lot to let 'er rip.  sly

I'll second that... I was skeptical as to the actual difference siping would make. But after sliding in heavy rain after hitting the brakes to avoid a parking lot as I came around a corner @ 60mph on hwy599. I decided to give it a try.

The next time I was in that same location, with equally heavy rain, I hit the brakes in the same spot just to test them. They did not slide at all :aok:

Edited by RedPath88

Do NOT go faster than you can stop.

That is the key.

I drive in snow, oh 6 months or so of the year :laugh: . We have a highway that is posted at 110 kmh (about 70 mph). See way more SUV's in the ditch than cars in winter. When you talk to most of them (and watch them drive) they are unaware that a SUV can not stop any better than a car. Sure you have better grip when starting, but not stopping. So drive to the conditions.

Lower the tire pressure and drive slowly.

Not sure about this lower air pressure thing and would like to know more. Around here, we prefer a narrower tire that can cut down through the snow rather than float on top. Will not lower air pressure promote flotation on top of the snow? Is this better? :shrug:

I know from personal experience that it works wonders on ice, we get so little snow here that I dont air down till the ice comes, but I have heard of that theory in mud, hence a tractor tire, maybe someone else will chime in :D

Edited by headpeace

Yeah i too have heard various things,

some say to drop the tire pressures

some say keep them filled to cut thru the snow to the ground

either way, i still keep getting my QX4 stuck everywhere

I'm with Trainman when it comes to ice. Smaller footprint = more downpressure per square inch = better traction.

With snow, I dunno, standard tire pressure is too much fun to mess with B)

When it comes right down to it, the best way to find out what you CAN do in the snow/ice is to find out what you CAN'T do first! The more you lose control in a controlled situation like a parking lot, the better you'll know how your vehicle behaves.

DTA (dont trust anybody) watch'em all

around here in charlotte when we get snow i never put it in 4wd b/c its usually a small amount of snow <1ft but some people throw their trucks in 4wd and haul ass and im just like uhh u cant stop so several times i had to get on the gas and get outta some1's way when i was stopped cuze i knew they couldnt stop B4 they hit me

The more you lose control in a controlled situation like a parking lot, the better you'll know how your vehicle behaves.

yep i always go out to the middle of no where and practice/play with controlled spins and things like that but never around people

i'd say stay away from driving on ice at all costs

IMHO, snow requires different techniques than ice.

Snow is much more predictable and forgiving. I'd even go so far as to call it fun!

Ice is like playing with cobras. Or juggling small nuclear devices.

Extreme caution, drastically reduced inputs, and constant focus on avoiding potential problems long before they start are the keys. And avoiding the other idiots is a huge priority. I find it anything but fun.

:blink: the best thing to do is practice, and remember not to hit the brake hard or you are screwed judge your stopping distance twice as far as you normally would. And if you do start skidding LET OFF THE BRAKE people think if they pump them they will work __wrong___ i live in colorado and drive in alot of snow (whenever i get the chance) and i have learned the best thing to if your are skidding is let off the brake, this way your wheels start turning again and you should be able to atleast steer away from cars into a ditch or something, trust me i have done it. in my camaro. now i know in some situations you can not steer away if your in that situation then you did not brake soon enough so you gonna get what's coming to ya. that is the fact of ice and snow. As far as tires go we had a bad storm in denver last night and of course i had to drive right through it. traffic came to a stop on the interstate and it was because people could not get traction on the up-hill so the cops shut down three out of six lanes so these rwd morons could spin there tires all night. My truck has 31x10.50 BFG's and i can tell you i stopped on the ice i mean we are talking an ice rink!! thought i was gonna have to drop it in 4wd but i did not have to just lightly hit the gas and went along my way. so people who do not beleive in all-terrains, should come ride with me sorry i rambled i am at work and bored.

The skinny tire/wide tire argument has been beaten to death. What you want on snow is flotation and traction. Same with mud and sand. Lowering the pressure allows a larger tire tread contact patch and more tire surface area to come into contact with the snow, thereby giving more traction.

The "cutting through to the bottom" argument doesn't hold water. The bottom layer under road snow is usually ice or hard-packed snow very close to ice, isn't it? What would cutting through to that accomplish?

The skinny tire/wide tire argument has been beaten to death. What you want on snow is flotation and traction. Same with mud and sand. Lowering the pressure allows a larger tire tread contact patch and more tire surface area to come into contact with the snow, thereby giving more traction.

The "cutting through to the bottom" argument doesn't hold water. The bottom layer under road snow is usually ice or hard-packed snow very close to ice, isn't it? What would cutting through to that accomplish?

Thanks 88,

Around here, most (but not all) the loggers use the skinniest tire they can mount on the wheels of their 3/4 and 1 ton P/U's. They drive in snow 6 months of the year, 5-6 days a week. So I was just going by what they are doing.

Same with the logging trucks, on the steering axle. A wider tire will hold more weight but the truckers switch to a narrower tire in winter for better steering, so they say. And when they get paid by the weight of their load, any extra weigh they can carry is more money for them. So changing to a tire that does not allow then to max out on payload says volumes about the narrow tire being better in snow, on a logging truck anyway. :)

if you notice, the tractors have skinny tires up front for steering but the back tire is anything but thin. traction and ability to steer are independent in cases like these. sooo, get a couple skinnies up front and some studded ones in the back and you're good to go.. :)

if you notice, the tractors have skinny tires up front for steering but the back tire is anything but thin. traction and ability to steer are independent in cases like these. sooo, get a couple skinnies up front and some studded ones in the back and you're good to go.. :)

I'll just chain up! :D