Pulling heads/HEAD GASKET

Slick

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Did he re-ring the pistons for you while it was out? :)

he? no dear.. you misunderstand.. i do MOST (99.9%) of the work... i need him for muscles when i can't get s stubborn bolt out.... no re ring on this one.. that'll be my other motor that gets all the goodies. the purple turd is just to get back on the road and mobile again

sly

bad news Rach... heads won't fit in a flat-rate box (by about a half inch and my post office is a stickler about not deforming the box)

eh.. cruel bastids. welp.. i will prolly still want them.. just need to save up the acsh for em first.. so save me the cam sprockets and the heads.. and that juicy FI rail you have.. hehehe....

UPDATE: here she is as of today.. ran out of daylight puttin the FI rail back on. Should be able to get her back in the pathy tomorrow or thurs at the lates (dave has some runnin round to do tomorrow)....

NOTE: If you have no way to hold your cam sprocket still while torquing down..... there here's whatcha do.

1. Grab old t-belt and attach to sprocket you are torqing

2. use small hose clamp to hold belt together

3. find frined/bf/wife/whatever to hold said belt while you torque the sucker down

worked like a charm for us -bounce-

Thanks for keeping us updated on the progress Slick. There's a lot of information in this thread that will help me when I swap mine. Looking good. :aok:

np. i have lots of pics n info if you need it. hopefully this weather will hold for more than just tomorrow so we can get the motor in thurs -bounce-

-bounce- TA DAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!!! it's IN!!!!!!!!! WOOOOOOOOOT!!!! -bounce- -bounce-

****FYI!!!!!!**** If you get a block from an automatic and you have a manual 5 speed.. there is a HORRIBLE "extra" little pilot bearing you have to get out.... and it doesn't like to come out..... it sticks out and is only for atuotragics.... replace pilot bearing as usual, but LOSE the "extra" dude else yer clutch won't go on right (I guess.. we took it out prior to clutch installation)

should have her runnin by tomorrow. i am still sick as a dog and she was ornery gettin the purple turd in .......

see pic for area where nasty little auto bearing is :angry:

and let me just tell you..Dave is a big strong man.. but by god he had to beat the ever lovin snot outta that thing to get it out..... after 5 years of sitting.. it was pretty well stuck! P...P...

Edited by Slick

Great news Slick :aok:

:bow: amen. NOW! lets all pile over to reds place n get his motor in! (air fare and booze on red of course) sly

:bow: amen. NOW! lets all pile over to reds place n get his motor in! (air fare and booze on red of course) sly

don't forget the pizza! :P

Congrats Slick! Will be good to see you & mini me back on the road again! :beer:

:blink: yeah, tickets are in the mail :laugh:

put a hold on those tickets.. rain delays play over here. big "storm" (CA "storm" ;) ) comin in and it's been rainin all night and gunna get worse... sposed to last til tuesday.. WTF.. i just wanna get the pathy RUNNING!!!!! :(

They install a "pilot converter" on the end of the crank for an auto and a pilot bushing on the manuals. That's what the "extra pilot bearing" was. :) The input shaft mating sufaces for each tranny are a leeeetle bit different.

They install a "pilot converter" on the end of the crank for an auto and a pilot bushing on the manuals. That's what the "extra pilot bearing" was. :) The input shaft mating sufaces for each tranny are a leeeetle bit different.

ah ha! so that's what the lil bugger is called. thank you aaron. :beer: Dave spotted it after looking at my motor then back at the purple turd.. welp.. that's a good FYI for anyone doing a auto to manual swap or vice versa. I would not have spotted that most likely. (not until i tried to put the flywheel n clutch plate on anyhoo)

:o IT'S ALIIIIIIIIIVE!!!!!!!!!!! smoked like chitty chitty bang bang for about 10 minutes.. but besides a lil hiccup (bottom bolt holding lower t-belt cover rubbing lower timing pulley) she puuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrrs like a kitten....... and my exhaust sounds even BETTER :bow: there is a god. really.

AND! that nasty little power steering pressure switch that just broke as i watched it fall off... well.. thanks to the local JY loaning me one free for life.... i got that replaced (from a 300Z no less) and she is alive. the purple turd is ALIVE!!!!!! now.. to put the front diff back under her.. i may be able to actually DRIVE her tomorrow... lmao..... :blink: -bounce- -bounce- -bounce-

sssh and here's the lil whoopsee with the bolt.. it was rubbing the back of the timing pulley (quite a nasty little noise) and cracked the base.... guess what i get to do tomorrow? :blink:

Congrats slick!!

As for the timing cover bolt.. my original engine was the same way (new one is fine) What a wonderful noise that little SOB makes :blink:

You can fix that if you REALLY want too... I believe it only requires a new oil pump... that's all :laugh:

Congrats slick!!

As for the timing cover bolt.. my original engine was the same way (new one is fine) What a wonderful noise that little SOB makes :blink:

You can fix that if you REALLY want too... I believe it only requires a new oil pump... that's all :laugh:

nah. i have a plan i think will work. bend the black tbelt cover base straight and then cut the butt off the bolt.. then the head of the bolt should drop off... there. problem fixed. it's cracked very low and i think it will be fine once the bolt is removed. nothin a zip tie can't handle...lol :P