Pulling heads/HEAD GASKET

Slick

this is where i think it's leaking (see the gap on the right??)..... which would explain why #6 plug is always gross... and also the lowest on compression :angry:

Edited by Slick

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

make sure you post a pic once you behead it.

oh.. you know me.. got a pic of everything.... and i will do the same again... with a few i am sure dave will take of me "beheading" her.. or at least me having a psycho fit with a BFG P... :o

I am fortunate in that i have access to the best air powered tools (and non power tools) to make nay mechanic drool.... cleaning the heads and other bits n pieces will be no problem.. ahhh.. life is so much sweeter in a well equipped enviroment!

i envy you...

and on a poorness note i understand that completly im still using the oe 87 tensioner so i'd assume ures is still good and i think think they're like $40

ok. unless ym head bolts look crappy.. they are gunna stay.

Bad idea.. how on earth are you gonna say by LOOKING at them if they're good or bad? We're talking TINY amounts of stretch on the bolts here...It says in the manual to get new ones, then do so. Better yet, get a set of ARP fasteners. I think those you can reuse even. Do it once, do it right. :beer:

lol, another easy way to tell Slick is that the VG30 motor is a V6, and the KA is a 4 banger. Can you count to six? :hide::blink:

1, 2, ummmm, oh yeah, 3..... 4...... umm.... what was that last one..... 6..... :blink:

To finish this aspect of topic, Slick, grab your Haynes manual.

"Nissan/Datsun- Pick-up & Pathfinder

Pick-ups (1980 thru 1997)

Pathfinder (1987 thru 1995"

No, you're not losing your mind. The "KA24E (1990 on)" is the 4 cyl available in the Hardbody truck, but not in the Pathy. ;)

i am always difficult :takebow: hehe

ok. so like... timing pully is at ZERO. Rotor is DEAD ON its mark. RH (pass side) Cam is dead lined up to its mark.. and of course.. LH (driver side) cam is ONE TOOTH OFF :furious:

How do i get that one cam back in line? i searched through my manual with tired eyes... couldn't find anything about lining back up one cam... so i come to thee....while i am in there, cuz i assure you.. it WILL be the last time i do this wretched job... i want to get everything PERFECT. i do not want bent valves and broken belts in 2 yrs time from this.... so.. HELP!! :help: :sniff:

oh.. n here's a pic of me gettin the skid plate n lower rad hose awf :blink:

mark the belt and cam and slip the t-belt off, and back on the cam one tooth over. sheesh!

:blink: won't that then put the OTHER cam outta whack.. cuz i already thought of that....

sssh that seems simple enuff.. so which way do i put the t'belt? one tooth back or one tooth forward of the mark on the cam sprocket? i just want to be 100% sure i don't go the wrong way like a numbnutz.... :blink:

and thank you K9 n simon :beer:

ALSO! being as i have to pull the cam sprocket off before i run her again, will this affect anything upon reassembly?

so. what i am trying to say is this: do i move the t-belt 1 tooth over, then tighten it back down.. then turn the motor over by hand til all are at their marks and she's at TDC??

Edited by Slick

As K9 said......take the belt off......move the pulley back one tooth......

When you put the belt back on, make sure the marks line up on the 2 pulleys that were correct before.....your mark should now be 1 tooth off on the pulley that was out of line. That way, you know you've done it right....

Alternatively, you can make a new mark on the belt where it SHOULD line up with your sprocket, and when you replace it, make sure all the marks line up.

As K9 said......take the belt off......move the pulley back one tooth......

When you put the belt back on, make sure the marks line up on the 2 pulleys that were correct before.....your mark should now be 1 tooth off on the pulley that was out of line. That way, you know you've done it right....

Alternatively, you can make a new mark on the belt where it SHOULD line up with your sprocket, and when you replace it, make sure all the marks line up.

:blink: 2 pulleys meaning the one cam sprocket and the timing pulley? and the rotor? hell.. i think i'll go for the alternative... lol.... or can i do as i edited above?

If i use the "alternative".. will it affect anything else as i tighten the t-belt down being as it will be "stretched" one tooth too far so to speak? or will it all fall into place upon start up? i say fall into PLACE not fall OFF... lmao @ myself :blink:

Also, for reassurance (not yours, mine) could you post up a pic of your lower sprocket? Since you've got her open, I just want to make sure that yours is lined up where mine was........as I couldn't find a mark on the lower housing to line it up with.....so I just put my new belt on EXACTLY where the old one came off.

Alright....there's 3 sprockets. 2 camshaft, one crankshaft........I assume by your first post that 1 of the camshaft sprockets, and the crankshaft sprocket are correctly lined up.

1 camshaft sprocket is off. Is that correct?