Pulling heads/HEAD GASKET

Slick

i was gunna say.. in my hanes it shows it.. but i am without my manual here right now.... it's drying out after my intake plentum peed all over it after i sprayed 2 cans of carb cleaner inside it :blink: (the intake not the manual) me, my manual, and my baggies were victims of the blackness.... it was gross...... REALLY ...gross... :angry:

ao again.. how do i set the cam sprocket back to "normal".. after i take it off can i put it back on one tooth over? i will have to see today how the innards work.. the cam sprockets n backign plate n headers come off today... tomorrow heads.. oh joy.. can't wait :mellow:

mm... my t-belt has the "squared" nub thingies on it...... just FYI ;)

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Slick, there should be punch marks on the sprockets themselves. Just line all the punch marks up with the ones on the new belt and you sould be fine. This is assuming your new belt already has the marks put on it, and the direction it should go on. Since you have the valve covers off, you can verify the timing is in proper order by pullin plug #1, watchin for TDC, then watching the valves and the distributor for compression, ignition, exhaust and intake.

ok.. so today my RH header bit dave n he proceeded to bleed everywhere :blink: the cam sprockets would NOT come off so we had to quick blast them with the air gun dealio.. they came off then.. i lined back up LH sprocket.. eberything so far looks good.. heads come off tomorrow.. oh joy.. that's when we'll see.... here are a few pics from todays episode :X

Edited by Slick

Slick, Slick say it aint so.... you hit the cam sprocket bolts with an air gun??? Dangerous move there. Ok for subborn bolts like that you use a chain type vise grip, wrap it around the sprocket and then use a breaker bar to loosen the bolt. Put it back the same way.

AS for TDC. maritime man is correct except you will have the heads off and you can see the piston when it hits TDC. Just remember that it comes around 2 times so when the timing mark is close to point then it is on its compression stroke. Stop the piston at the top and leave it there do not touch the engine crank again until you have finished the timing belt install.

Since you are not replacing the T belt you will not be using the marks on teh belt for alignment. I say this because the marks only align about every 50 rotations of the engine. This is because of the number of teeth on the belt. The marks are really only good for the first time you install the belt, unless you get very lucky. (88 back me up here you know that I am correct)

I think you said you were not removing the front timing cover. Without doing that you can not see the marks on the crank gear. Now generally that does not matter because Nissan forgot to mark the block on almost every engine. So you just use TDC on the piston. Just take care it is not about TDC it needs to be exactly TDC. Then just line the cam sprockets with the marks on the backing plate and install the belt. Real simple.

the huge vise grip idea didn't work... whatever they previously put those cam sprockets on with it was TIGHT... dave tried while i held the sprocket.. i tried while he held the sprocket.. and NADDA. i had sprayed them for 2 days with PB blaster too! and STILL nothing.. so that is why we HAD to resort to air. the sprockets did not move.. we made damn sure of it.. and he only hit them real quick to break then loose.. after that it was by hand.

I may change the t-belt... but mine looks real good and is only 3,000 miles old..... haven't decided yet. i have an i'view today so i won't be getting the heads off til tomorrow now... exhaust n all is off so it's just the heads now.. *bites nails at what she'll find* sssh

I shoved a prybar through the holes and braced on the head while I took a breaker-bar to the bolt. Worked OK for me.

tried that.. no luck. air was a last resort :angry: only a quick shot of it.. that was enuff to break 'em loose.... then by hand after that :aok:

that's surprising that it didn't work... with your 'man-hands' and all.

:)

:laugh: even between both of us they would not budge... either they were exceptionally stuck from the factory.. but i think the PO torqued em too tight.. you can see where some dipsh!t stuck the screwdriver against one of the LH cam teeth n chipped it.. not bad enuff to worry about it... but enuff for me to notice n be pissed off about it...lol..

need a replacement? I still have mine in a box in the garage.

i thought i took a pic of it.... but i can't find it on the disk.. i will take a pic tomorrow n you can let me know if oyu think it should be changed.. the only ting i am worried about is it chewing up the t-belt over time with the rough edges.. but i am afraid to smooth down the "divet" it made... any thoughts? how much are new cam sprockets? or yours?

as long as there are no burrs on it, you should be fine. The timing gears run about 40 or so each. Obviously, mine would be much cheaper and would be no more than 8.10 to ship (flat rate box - priority mail). Curious to see the pic. Check your current belt for indication of abnormal wear due to the score-mark. I'm guessing that you're fine.

as long as there are no burrs on it, you should be fine. The timing gears run about 40 or so each. Obviously, mine would be much cheaper and would be no more than 8.10 to ship (flat rate box - priority mail). Curious to see the pic. Check your current belt for indication of abnormal wear due to the score-mark. I'm guessing that you're fine.

the only thing that caught my eye was the belt seemed to be "wearing" (discoloring/showing more signs of wear) on the outter edge than inner.. the burr/stab mark is in the outer side of the sprocket... i do not have access to my pathy or the camera until i get in touch with dave as i am not driving his car until i talk to him.. i will have him take a pic... i think he still has my spare to the pathy. (sprockets are inside pathy on floor)

i am very anal.. if it's not perfect.. all hell breaks loose..lol

no prob. If you decide you want a used one with less than 80k miles on it, I've got.

:aok: cool beans. i will take a pic of it and you can let me know what you think... i would rather have a perfect condition one.. money is tight.. but my truck is worth it if i don't have to go in there for a long.......looooong time to come :blink:

im just sorta curious...y shouldnt you hit the cams with an airgun...i always use a breaker bar and hammer (same concept) but as long as the rockers are loose and the sproket is jammed i dont see the problem with using air to break things loose? granted its usually my last resort as well but i didnt know if there was some reason y u wouldnt want to use air except for possibly breaking a bolt off which in that case i have a drill and ez outs b.c most will come out after the tension is released from the bolt :shrug:

some1 please enlighten me

i've got some off of an 87 if ure interested and they have the same dimensions/ # of teeth...im not home but if ure interested just PM me and i'll take pix and make an offer but i dont think it looks too bad...

Edited by unccpathfinder

i've got some off of an 87 if ure interested and they have the same dimensions/ # of teeth...im not home but if ure interested just PM me and i'll take pix and make  an offer but i dont think it looks too bad...

:(:aok: thanks for the offer but K9 offered to sell me one of his already.

Well.. both heads are off and it just gets uglier.... here are some pics from today...

just a note: i didn't drain the block of coolant before pulling the ehads.. i dunno if it's supposed to be there.. but it is.. :(:(

this one has literally melted on the rhs....... you can rub your finger over the large bump of piston..

Edited by Slick

ohh yes this sucks...i feel ure pain but there is always a way to make things work it might cost a lil extra or a lil more work but it'll be ok...on that note when i crank mine up after this swap this weekend i might have a diff outlook but thats cuze i have bad luck and it'll always be thata way...but im sure u'll find a way to make everything ok...just dont get too discouraged...it'll be alright in the end :)