Pulling heads/HEAD GASKET

Slick

i am highly considering buying some POS car after i save up some $$ and then rebuilding this motor with all the bells and whistles (it won't be smogable) .. OR heading up to N.O.W. and getting another engine.. throw that in and rebuils this one.. being as that is what this one will need now.. might as well go the whole hog... but i need a driveable vehicle.. the pathy is my only vehicle now.. and i live in BFE... have to get to work somehow! sssh

and ALWAYS when i an BROKE BROKE BROKE!!!!! :(:( :oops:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

A driveable vehicle...

Hmm... I have a full size '79 chevy van you can have for free - literally. Unfortunately, it does not have an engine or trans. Now if Dave had a spare laying around... And ya'all were willing to put some time and effort into it. I have most of the other parts to put back on... But a couple JY trips would be required to get it fully operational.

Here's a pic of it. The wheels and tires are being swapped to my new van, but I have a couple sets of quite usable stock wheels.

post-9-1139247889.jpg

thank you so much for the totally kind offer mws.. but we don't have a smogable motor to put into the van.. i really appreciate the kind offer :bow: :beer:

lol unccpathfinder........what bank account? :confused: lol :aok:

thats what i said...this whole deal has made me even more broke

:bow: amen. i feel your pain. now.... if i could get this job that pays more than $500 every 2 weeks... i may have a chance :blink:

-bounce- ok. latest developments: N.O.W. have 2 motors that apealed to me.. a VERY (below 50,000 mi) LOW mileage VG30E, 6 months full warranty.. $900. the other motor he has is a 166,000 mile motor, 6 month full warranty for $650 (I know I can get him down to $600)

Both motors have been tested and are sold complete and drop in ready. Running.

so i may just take a lil trip to Rancho Cordova in the next week or so n snatch up that $650 motor.... now.. what bank to rob..... sssh

sounds like a pretty sweet deal...does the warranty cover things like a timing belt break and/or the accessories or u should prob switch some of that stuff over...the 1's i looked at the waranty was kinda shady and seemed like they really wouldnt honor anything if it broke

:) ok. I put a $100 deposit on a motor today, I got him to knock $50 off so now i am getting a motor (with LESS than 166,000) for $600 -bounce- -bounce-

the only thing the motor DOESN'T come with are manifolds, which don't matter anyway as i have my thorleys.. all exterior parts i need to use my existing ones. the motor is out of a running 94 pathy, and it is now onna shelf waiting for me to come get it :D the 6 month warranty covers everything mechanical, EXCEPT belts.. which of course i had just put brand new ones on my pathy, so i will be using those anyway. I will buy a brand new t-belt though. WOOHOOOOOO.. i will be hopefully runnin again by next wed!! -bounce- -bounce- (I have Mon & Tues off so we'll go pick it up on Mon am)

well.. this will be my 2nd motor pull/install in a year.. so now i know what to do.. and i have good help and a great wealth of tools to do it with.. it shouldn't take long at all.. i will have everything prepped n ready by the time we get the new motor... then it's just a case of checking it over (i will put my new valve cover gaskets on the new motor) and installing the t-belt/h2o pump and a few other bits n pieces..then dropping her in.. -bounce- the suspension is the biggest PITA :angry: but it should come off easy enuff as we had it off a year ago and all/most of the bolts are new down there so rust is not a problem there... ah for the love of power/air tools :bow:

ok. got the motor out today.. i will NEVER......EVER....EVER use bars leak in ANYTHING i own EVER again. It clogged up EVERYTHING!!! here is my oil pump filter....... all that crap on the screen is bars leak :angry:

my beautiful clutch i installed last time i pulled the motor however looked the shining example of health.. though the rear main seal appeared to be leaking again (it was a new one installed when the clutch was put in this time a year ago)

Good luck with the install slick! :beer: And I think this can be a lesson to all of us to just say NO to bars leak ;)

What needs taken apart in the suspension to remove the engine though? *never pulled an engine before*

:angry: more like what DOESN'T have to come apart! cv joints... cross member.. becasue i have a leaky seal at the back of the front diff we also pulled the driveline this time.... i will take pics of that mess tomorrow so you can see.. oh yeah... front sway bar too.... P...

:angry: more like what DOESN'T have to come apart! cv joints... cross member.. becasue i have a leaky seal at the back of the front diff we also pulled the driveline this time.... i will take pics of that mess tomorrow so you can see.. oh yeah... front sway bar too.... P...

What I like about such global repairs is that you can replace\repair minor things... for example, some slightly leaking seal, which you would never bother to replace, as the job would require to disassemble everything under the hood.

It means more money spent, though :lol: But at least you can repair everything, since you have everything pulled out)))

Good Luck...after this weekend im gonna let my truck sit...really i think i just need a battery and to put oil and coolant in then cross my fingers and crank but im gonna hold out for a couple weeks...im getting a 95 from my cuz...she lost her job and finally wants to get rid of it (really wish she woulda decided this about 2 months ago so i coulda bought hers and worked on mine on the side) but good luck hope it all goes well like 10x better than mine did

and just as a backup throw a case in the fridge or a 1/5th in case you need to chill out for a bit...

ok. So after much ado, the new addition is home. I must say we were both FAR from impressed when the motor was brought out. First thing was that this motor was SUPPOSED to have only 144,000 on it and the tag said 170,000! :angry: then we noticed they only took one manifold off when it should of had NONE..... gee.. maybe it's because they BROKE 1 stud and decided not to #$!&^% up the other side? pssd THEN! i leaned over and noticed the head had been WELDED...... in the corner where obviously a stud removal had been skrewd up b 4..... and where my worst stud removal was........ ok.. no biggie.....

got it home.... pulled the valve covers..... not bad...... pulled the spark plugs (they were generous enuff to leave me 3 :angry: almost new looking NGK plug wires attached) and the plugs looked good too.

Very dirty engine.. i am used to my pristine (almost) clean motor.... but I think she'll clean up well. I pulled the t-belt cover and the belt looks brand new. Also looks like this motor had an autotragic tranny.... does this make any difference to me with my 5 speed? the same right? Looks identical....

anyhoo.. the motor came out of a 90 pathy.... here are a few pics i took just after we got it out of the back of dave's bros truck...

sssh did i mention we almost got lost out in BFE when we saw a DOT cop and i flagged him down?? yah.. me..flagging a COP down... once in a lifetime op..... anyhoo.. here are a few more pics...

LMAO.. oh yeah.. and whoever "fixed" the valve cover leaks they only put the gaskets on.. and they didn't even get that right... lol.... so of course they leaked like sieves! D'OH! :blink:

oh yeah. how generous..they gave me the intake but TOOK the INJECTOR RAIL... BASTIDS :angry:P...P...

Edited by Slick