Pulling heads/HEAD GASKET

Slick

wooooooooooooooo Hoooooooooooooooo!!!!!! -bounce- -bounce- fixed my lil whoopsee from last night, got the suspension done, and she runs like a champ n purrs like a kitten. smooooooooooooooooooooooth oh so smoooooooooooooooooooth *hearts* *sighs* now.. where'd i put that 1/2 gallon of jack.. sssh

think i'm happy? took dave out for a lil test run n he took the pic while we were cruisin down 120

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

:aok: One final Congrats... good job Slick... and Dave ;)

:bow: yes!! HUGE HUGE kudos to my better half for all his muscles n help on this .... woulda broke lotsa stuff without him :hide::rolleyes:

Alright Slick! :beer: This post has inspired me. My engine should be here today. -bounce- Headers and cams are just sitting there teasing me. I won't be tearing the whole thing down like you, but it was nice to see the process. Hey the purple looks pretty cool. Nice job.

Let the Fun Begin... Slick back to driving her baby.... and having a complete Engine to play with in her spare time...

Im thinking that I am going to have to import Slick or drag my pathy to her...

:clap: on heart transplant :clap:

:bow:

Let the Fun Begin... Slick back to driving her baby.... and having a complete Engine to play with in her spare time...

Im thinking that I am going to have to import Slick or drag my pathy to her...

:clap: on heart transplant :clap:

:bow:

-bounce- oh yes. the town fears me once again! :takebow: took her to UC Davis today (nice 135 mile round trip break in ride) and her lower rad hose was not yet done telling me it was not yet tight enuff.. so there was poor Dave.. fresh from his operation.. sitting in the pathy while i was on teh ground pulling off the skid plate and tightening the rad hose.... all good now tho! ;)

Hehe, always has to be something little...

That reminds me I need to put my skid plate back on....

I got lucky, no leaks so far.... Im still playing with the timing

-bounce- coool! :aok: yeah.. i must've been quite the sight in the middle of the UC Davis medical bldgs.. in teh middle of sacramento.. laying under the pathy pulling the guard n stuff.... she's ok now but i have to put the guard back on... i just wanted to get poor dave home... :unsure:

****FYI!!!!!!****   If you get a block from an automatic and you have a manual 5 speed.. there is a HORRIBLE "extra" little pilot bearing you have to get out.... and it doesn't like to come out..... it sticks out and is only for atuotragics.... replace pilot bearing as usual, but LOSE the "extra" dude else yer clutch won't go on right (I guess.. we took it out prior to clutch installation)

So how did you get that pilot bearing for the auto out? I'm at the same problem and can't get it out. What did you use? The wife's motor is still in the truck.

BTW I sent you a yahoo IM about the same problem

So how did you get that pilot bearing for the auto out? I'm at the same problem and can't get it out. What did you use? The wife's motor is still in the truck.

BTW I sent you a yahoo IM about the same problem

ok. it's a little unceremonious.. but it had to be done.

PB blaster.. liberally. vise grips. TIGHT. screwdriver and a hammer.

after 1/2 hour.. we pretty much had to beat the ever lovin snot outta the thing... cuz we don't have a tool to removce it. there is a pilot bearing puller available, but we didn't need to spend any more $$ on stuff.

we twisted, turned, smacked, and finally beat it into submission.

if you feel inside there is a little lip... if you have the puller for it it is simple.. if not.. grab a beer and a big strong arm and give it hell. twist n turn it as much as possible, that'll help loosen it too.

good luck.. may the force be with you :bow: cuz it is a PITA :angry:

Speedy;

A trick I learned from my old mechanics instructor for removing pilot bushings was to find a shaft or even a wooden dowel that would fit tightly into the bushing. Fill the inside of the bushing with hard grease and then pound the dowel into the bushing. The grease will push the bushing out.

I'm not sure if this will work for the pilot bearing because I don't know exactly what it looks like (can the grease get out past the bearing cage) but you might consider it.

Brian

Speedy;

A trick I learned from my old mechanics instructor for removing pilot bushings was to find a shaft or even a wooden dowel that would fit tightly into the bushing. Fill the inside of the bushing with hard grease and then pound the dowel into the bushing. The grease will push the bushing out.

I'm not sure if this will work for the pilot bearing because I don't know exactly what it looks like (can the grease get out past the bearing cage) but you might consider it.

Brian

been there.....tried that. didn't budge at all.the grease bein everywhere just made matters worse. that's when we resorted to beating the ever lovin snot outta it..that worked :P

Well I finally got it, what a PITA, I broke the first puller and the secound didn't seem was going to work the all you heard was POP and it was out. But as hard as it was to come out, I don't think the grease trick would work, maybe for a pilot bushing but not this thing, heres a pic of it. If you look at slicks pic you can see where it goes. It sits in front of where the pilot bushing would sit.

Hey slick, I think you had better luck with yours since it wasn't in the truck, I was fighting with mine for about two days with know luck. But then again I had no room for any prying action let alone getting a good swing with the BFH.

Only cost 30 bucks for the puller which I can return since its a rental and get my money back, unless I want to keep it. Kind of a handy little tool.

post-9-1142631408.jpg

:clap: glad you got the little bastige out. yeah.. i will post a pic of the one we got outta mine someday.... what's left of it...lol...

glad it all went well....it's always the smallest parts cause the most trouble P...

So ya got her back on the road...

Good on ya, Slick! :clap:

It's a bee-otch sometimes to do your own work but doing so brings a lot of pride (not to mention a fatter wallet!)

Yeah, those bushings can be a royal PITA, huh? :blink: No worries, though: You showed it who's boss! :P

Cheers!

Gary

ok. so i figgered out the MOST annoying issue i was having with my new motor. my high rpms.. bot at idle and driving.

i knew i had a vaccum line that had stretched otu and so was "too big" for it's "spot" on the charcoal cannister..... so today i went back and sure nuff.. it was whistlin dixie under the hood... i squeezed the connection.. whistle stopped.. grabbed baby size zip tie n zipped er down cuz the clip holdin it was all wore out/stretched/not doin its job.......... rpms went down to a smooooooooth idle and no more vrOOOOOOOOOOm crap....... ahhhhh.....

now..... to figure otu my thud down below.... P...P...

Only cost 30 bucks for the puller which I can return since its a rental and get my money back, unless I want to keep it. Kind of a handy little tool.

Speedy;

Glad you got it out. What type of puller did you use? Can you find a picture of one?

Thanks

Brian

I was gonna take a pic of it but I didn't, sorry. But I rented it at Parts America for 32 and change and its called a pilot bushing puller. Had to return it to get the exhaust piece from the "Y" to the cat.

Boy let me tell ya, thats what her truck needed was a stick. Kinda glad the auto tranny went. Wifes alot happier since I was in there we put in new torsions and headers :D

Slick

I never saw a puller with the two outside feet before. I was just trying to picture how the puller "pushed" against the crank. Makes sense to me now.

I'll keep it in mind if I ever need to replace my block.

Thanks

Brian