Pulling heads/HEAD GASKET

Slick

Slick, I feel your pain... the engine I have is supposed to only have 131K but it looks like hell... my original 291K engine is FAR cleaner than the replacement. But who knows maybe mine was just kept in a better environment (keeps telling himself that).

Whether that engine had an AT or MT attached to it should not make a difference.. afaik.

It figured they would keep the F. Rail!

Now make a trip to the parts store and say "I need to order half of a set of plug wires.. oh, and a coil wire" see what kind of looks you get :lol:

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

if its the same fuel rail thats on an 86 maxima or lower or upper intakes i've got those if u'd like em they look similar in the pix but i dont know if their the same and i need to get them outta the garage i was gonna throw it all on ebay but if its something htat u need and would work just throw me shipping and i'd send it out...but i did forget u've got ure old motor so that should work

i found a good way to get out those old broken exhaust studs is to soak them in pb blaster and/or wd40 then get an screw extractor set from napa or a local parts store and drill it to the appropriate size and hammer in the extractor and take a pair of vice grips to bakc it out i've had to remove about 7 studs like that between my 1st upper rebuild and this maxima motor i got for the swap... i think i've finally mastered removing broken studs

oh. believe me.....we are old pros at the broken stud removal... i had 6 broken 9and i mean broken) studs on my motor last year.. so far this one has only 1...... and yes.. PB blaster is my friend.. i attacked the mtor with it before it even got out of the back of the truck...lol -bounce- i would LOVE another fuel rail, as i want both motors complete and running eventually.

here's my fuel rail: :beer:

I am a bit curious. If you had paid the couple of hundred more for the lower mileage motor, would everything had been there and in good shape or would have been the same just lower mileage?

Do replace the injector gaskets when you reinstall the fuel rail. A motor with that much mileage is likely to have those o rings leak air. This would not be a good thing.

I am a bit curious. If you had paid the couple of hundred more for the lower mileage motor, would everything had been there and in good shape or would have been the same just lower mileage?

Do replace the injector gaskets when you reinstall the fuel rail. A motor with that much mileage is likely to have those o rings leak air. This would not be a good thing.

it would just have been a lower mileage motor.... he told me on the phone all interior and intake would be in the motor, only thing that SHOULD have been missing i believe is the exterior bracketry, wires, sensors, cables, etc.. which they left ON the motor....... so needless to say i thought i was paying for the fuel rail too.... i may call them today and ask, he already lied once, not much from stopping him from lying again... only good point about higher mileage? most of the regular maint has already been done. with NGk wires and NGK plugs, the owner obviously wasn't a tight ass when it came to parts.... but with the bodge job on the valve cover gaskets, he probably just thought f' it! no more! or, the autotragic tranny gave out...

oh yeah... and no dirstributor either..... :angry: remind me what i paid $600 for again? :blink:

here's a pic of the dirty intake plentum..

and if anyone wants the 3 almost new NGK plug wires for #1, 3, 5 & coil you are welcome to them. I just bought a new set of Bosch wires last year when i had my motor out.

Yes, good point on the injector thingies (6am brain fart).. i had already bought my complete gasket set from parts dinasaur (HIGHLY recommend him) and so i need to give him a call n get those... *sighs* will my baby ever run again before i am too old to enjoy it? :shrug:

looks like the cams and rockers were overheated. Have a warrenty?

6 month warranty.. hy do you say that k9? i noticed the are a slightly diff color than mine, and when you wipe your finger inside the head it is sooooooooo clean.... of course, they had drained all the oil and god knows how long the motor had been sitting on the shelf...... curious as to how you came to that conclusion.. may help me a LOT in this :beer:

thanks aaron, but if i can't make a good case against these guys, then i will be stuck with another one of their "great" motors.. their policy is ctore credit or exchange...... if it's another burnt turd like this one i will be taking them to court. i am pissed. REALLY pissed. pssd

Most of the discoloration on that engine just looks like baked-on oil. That happens to a lot of engines, mostly from not changing the oil often enough. Clean 'er up, I bet it'll work fine.

Oh, and I happen to have a fuel rail with injectors in my garage that'll fit yours, Slick. I bought a box full of swap parts on Ebay a while back and it was in there along with a VG30E intake, TB, etc. Let me know if you need it...

:bow: I may still take you up on that fuel rail as i want 2 (1 for each engine), but the burnt turd is definitely going back.. i found oil in the injector ports... and just general crap.. 4 broken studs.... rusted to crap h2o pump and crank sprocket... oil EVERYWHERE, welded head on the LH side, distributor "hole" full of dirt and crap (it was plugged but still full of crap), it's just not a decent looking motor to even think about risking putting in my pathy.. that.. and if you break it.. oh yeah..they'll warranty their motors..all the motors except the BURNT ones.... soo... if i install a burnt looking motor to start with, and i break this one, then i am SOL with these guys. I want another motor, one that doesn't have a bunch of broken studs and one that will actually pass smog... not one that will smoke to death then die.... i paid good money for a decent motor with no bells and whistles....so a decent motor is what i want and what i paid for was a 144,000 mile motor..NOT a 170,000 burnt turd motor. he lied to me throughout the transaction about this motor i was to get. no compression test, nadda. I work too hard for my $$ to get f'd on this deal. P...

and the last time this motor was smogged was 2001. so it's been off the road since at least 2003..... and it sure was filthy when they btought it out.. :oops:

I think you should have no problem getting another/better one from them,Slick. Your complaints are totally legit and if they give you probs you will need to list their website.....NPORA is in da house and got yer back B) It's too bad you had to go through the hassel of getting it home and then finding all these issues though, I'ld be choked P...

i am beyond choked...... this is just such a huge PITA to drive ANOTHER 130 miles to take this POS back...... and that's another week my pathy hasn't run...... but it will all work out in the end......as long as N.O.W. play ball and don't act like a bunch of idiots.... then everyone will come out unscathed...lol B)

Hey Slick. I still have parts available from my pulled engine. Once you settle on a block and are geting it ready to install, let me know if you need anything.

:bow: schweet. ty K9. I am still gunna need that cam sprocket for my engine and a few other things.. like that fuel rail you have sly hehe.. once i get a motor i think is worthy of installing in my pathy i shall soon make a list of what i need. thanks again! :beer:

-bounce- thanks to filthy luker who ran a carfax report on the VIN supplied with this motor.... I AM KEEPING IT AND IT WILL BE INSTALLED AND RUNNING BY THE WEEKEND HOPEFULLY!!!! -bounce- -bounce- the vehicle has never failed smog and was in a crash just after its last smog in 2001 so I know it was't all burnt up.

I took the oil pan off yesterday and it looked good in there. Heads off today. I will post pics tonight. Just FYI... i RETRACT (at elast for now) what I said about N.O.W...... the motor has been sitting since 2001.... no wonder itsa mess.

Block should be painted by today sly

ok. so i fatrted around for 2 days pimp shining stuff and painting.. so the motor is now a couple days behind.. and it's sposed to rain for the next 2 days.. BUT! here she is yesterday. Today is put the heads and intakes on day. getting closer....

dave honed the cylinders for me (i am not safe with a gadget that has 3 legs and is run by a drill) and it's lookin goooood -bounce-