CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Apparently the roof is the best place for the antenna, because the body of the truck doesn't interfere, but i hate mine up there as well, it hits everything!

I like those KC lights, may look into a set, my hellas have seen better days.

I agree that for best reception/transmission capability the roof is the best place for the antenna, but aesthetically (and vertical clearance wise) not the best. Personally, I like the idea of a hood mount on the driver side (opposite the fm antenna), this will still offer great performance and would look decent. I like the look of mounting it on a rear corner, but have heard mixed reviews on performance.

Oh, forgot to compliment you on the radio location, looks awesome. Only suggestion would be to swap to a keyed power source, maybe use a fused mini tap and piggyback off the radio circuit. This way there's no chance of accidentally leaving it on, killing you battery.

Good point. Well for that to be the case though, wouldn't the ignition need to be on? I don't think my phone charges (cig lighter) unless the ignition is turned on, and since it's on the same fuse, that would mean there's no power to it. But I will double check this to make sure.

I'm not sure what you mean by mini tap...?

Good point, I forgot that the cig power is a switched circuit on our trucks. I use mini taps like this http://www.amazon.com/Bussmann-BP-HHH-RP-Circuit-Converter/dp/B004AHADOC/ref=sr_1_4?s=automotive&ie=UTF8&qid=1407934473&sr=1-4&keywords=fuse+tap anytime I'm pulling power for another added circuit.

Perfect mounting spot for the reciever, looks great there! Lift looks good too. You're moving fast with this.. she'll be a beast this winter!

Edited by patqx4

Thanks!

I need some advice with my suspension. I'm told my front left strut needs replacing, so I see this as an opportunity to replace all 4 corners and do some upgrading. Now I have 2"lift from Fleury's spacers, so my question is, if I were to buy a complete OME lift kit such as this here http://www.rocky-road.com/nissan-pathfinder-lift-kit.html, will my suspension be 3+ inches and with that cause other issues and parts needed?

Should I just replace the struts and keep the original springs? I like the height I have and I'm not really after more lift as 31's will look too small with too much lift and I'm not about to buy new tires anytime soon. Or should I also replace the springs, and keep the stock size or get HD spring coils and get more lift? I'm quite certain that replacing oem parts will raise my front a little bit due to 15 years or settling...but at the same time, I wouldn't mind something stiffer that can handle a heavier load.

Is KYB or Rancho preferred?

I have the ome springs you mentioned, I don't notice any harder ride than stock. I gained exactly 1.75" at each corner from my old saggy stock coils. If you're certain that you're good with the current height, keep the stock coils. However, I Can just fit 31's with no rub on my ome lift + nx4 spacer, but really wish I could fit 33s now. I went with kyb struts, no experience with ranchos, so I can't say which is better.

The OME setup comes only as medium duty I suppose as their HD is made with KYB shocks. What would our stock shocks /coils be considered? Light duty?

Sent from Tapatalk

Went through my old tour kit today for which I don't have any use at the moment and got creative.

First off, my patches:

9e42899b11af2dfb538cebe17a9b6cd6.jpg

Then my Molle belt and first aid kit:

bfe84e8ce10ca7e5a3bc6ef4326eb48e.jpg

Dump pouch

38dd693b923b315dc9a3a11de5f2d548.jpg

And mounted the fire extinguisher

29c5e77cb323ce06f4f688dc3cc4367d.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Edited by CDN_S4

I didn't know of the fog light wiring harness. But this is good to know I might retrofit a pair. However there is no fuse for the fog lights, that I did check.

I was checking that very thing on mine today. There are plugs (one on each side) for the fog lights. Mine came from the factory without lights installed put the plugs are there. The fuse block over the drives front wheel has a spot for a fuse, but none is installed. Where the knock outs for extra switches (under stereo) are there are two extra plugs that I assume are for 1. heated seat switch and 2. fog light switch. There should also be a relay for the lights under the hood somewhere. If the relay is there it should be just a matter of 1. hook up lights to existing plugs. 2. install fuse 3. install switch to existing plug. And let there be light!

Edited by kdj
  • Like 1

KDJ, that is good to know, definitely something I will pursue further a little bit down the road. For now, next step is replacing the 2 front struts with KYBs and the rears with 5100 series bilstein. I will be using my stock coil springs for now. Manual hubs were also ordered. I opted for the Mile Marker as this project is supposed to be on a budget.

I am looking into custom fabrication of a front bumper, which, if I go ahead with will incorporate the fogs, at least their wiring.

Question about the compass and temperature overhead display, mine, being an XE doesn't have that luxury, so was wondering what would be entailed in making one of those things work?

Question about the compass and temperature overhead display, mine, being an XE doesn't have that luxury, so was wondering what would be entailed in making one of those things work?

There should already be a harness running from where the temperature sensor mounts (in front of the radiator) to the main SMJ harness (behind the fuse block in the driver's footwell). You'll just have to run two wires from the main junction, along the a-pillar, to the compass/temperature panel, plus 12V. And you'll need that temperature sensor. Or at least that's how it was in my '96.

Correction: you might be pre-wired with a compass/temperature harness behind the glove box.

05-6Pin.jpg

I wasn't, so I got a harness from a junkyard and ran it from the main junction. Either way, here's a how-to; my write-up is there on page 2: http://forums.nicoclub.com/2004-pathfinder-overhead-console-upgrade-t543809.html

Edited by ltsnotme

Hey quick question , how do you mount the mic on the instrument dash , mine is mounted with screws but its not really secure.

This arrived today:

upu4ugut.jpg

This is where I'm at now:

jeqyheja.jpg

Sits in there purdy but it's not hooked up yet. Ground is in and I wanna put the red wire into a 12V fuse as per the instructions but I can't determine which fuse uses 12 bolts...?! Any advice!? Thanks

Just screwed it in there...since I trimmed the spare buttons piece out of the trim piece, I figured since it's mutilated already, might as well screw right into it. I think the spot works and looks well.

Sent from Tapatalk

I was confused what you meant by that, thorpe until I looked at my pathfinder and CDN_24's picture. You MIGHT be able to but I think you will need to pop the entire plastic assembly out to see for yourself to make sure nothing gets in the way of the wires. I guess you could do a basic small zapstraps on the top of the inside of the casing to fix that problem. Might be a feasible swap.

I will have to look at that because I am still trying to figure out where to put my CB radio and do not want to take out the single box (i have the single din deck) where I keep my rounds and whatever I need on hand right away.

By the way CDN_24, is that a garmin etrex on your automatic shifter? If so, nice choice. I got one and love it but where did you get the band for it? would love to have something like that for my treks.

Nissan_Boston, for the cobra microphone, you can get away with a velcro strap that sticks to the trim if you don't want to drill any holes through it. I wouldn't use screws personally just in case if I ripped the microphone off with pieces of the trims haha...

Edited by Quaintbucket

It's a Garmin Foretrex 401, they are made to be worn on the wrist so they come that way.

As for switch relocation, I don't see why that wouldn't be possible. Each dummy button pops out individually.

Sent from Tapatalk

I was checking that very thing on mine today. There are plugs (one on each side) for the fog lights. Mine came from the factory without lights installed put the plugs are there. The fuse block over the drives front wheel has a spot for a fuse, but none is installed. Where the knock outs for extra switches (under stereo) are there are two extra plugs that I assume are for 1. heated seat switch and 2. fog light switch. There should also be a relay for the lights under the hood somewhere. If the relay is there it should be just a matter of 1. hook up lights to existing plugs. 2. install fuse 3. install switch to existing plug. And let there be light!

I got that a bit wrong the relay is in the block over the drivers tire and the fuse is in the block over the passengers side tire.