CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Yeah I have 31x10.5 on 15x8 coming. Rock crawlers, flat black with the brass studs.

I ordered from rack attack. Definitely not a cheap investment but I rather buy a more expensive solid rack right off the bet, than take my chances with a cheaper one, only to eventually end up buying a brand name one. Especially since I'm planning on packing the rack with a full size spare and all kinds of gear once the rig is ready for expedition.

ytutuba3.jpg

yha3unav.jpg

In comparison to my Exploder.

So is a spacer lift a suspension lift or a body lift? Or neither nor? This does extend the shocks further, I read that they don't "need" to be replaced, but "should" they?

so technically its sorta both..by pushing the suspension down, you lift the truck. you gain a little ground clearance at the front diff, and approach/break over and departure angles get better. however down travel of wheels suffers a little.

As for longer shocks...Yes! if you did 2in in the rear than at least a 2in longer travel rear shock is required. I didn't do it at first and found that my cornering and rear flex suffered as my shocks were always pushed to their limit of travel. Down travel is as important as up travel. you want the wheel to be stuck to the ground.

unfortunately we are screwed with the front strut system. no one makes a longer travel strut that fits out truck. I'd recommend searching the dreaded top out thread.

My KYBs have been holding up with spacers and stiffer springs, but if I had to replace them tomorrow I'd use OME as they are designed to deal with a stiffer spring.

I've also found an Australian company called Ultimate suspension that makes custom struts but they are spendy....

and yes get an alignment but don't bother until you get your new wheels and tires as you'll just have to do it again.

Thanks for the explanation Bushnut. I will probably go with an OME kit at some point down the road. For now this lift seems good enough for what I need it for.

In other news, this arrived today:

uhebydy7.jpg

And the mounts for the crossbars, which meant the oem rails came off. I was really surprised at how flimsy they really are. Glad that Rack Attack made me aware of their very low load capacity.

umuse6eq.jpg

Topless for now until the bars arrive. Should be next delivery day.

Fitted the $10 deflector from the junkyard today:

I used double sided to tape to mount the brackets, then screwed them into the trunk. Then covered the entire mount in Flex Seal so the drill holes won't get wet and start to rust.

8y7yqa6a.jpg

y4uzaqah.jpg

adahunyv.jpg

gejutasu.jpg

Looks sharp. I like what you got going on there.

Were you planning on using it to tow your boat?

No I have 2011 Explorer to tow the boat. But I decided to give the PF a shot, especially where I was taking it to a more remote and rockier launch site that time. It did a great job!

Still 6 weeks for the wheels and tires....this wait is killing me!! But CB radio should arrive soon and the roof rack will go on tonight so more to follow on that shortly...in line to pick it up right now :)

Cross bars installed

uzepyma8.jpg

juzehezy.jpg

And roof basket:

uparyver.jpg

ara8u3uh.jpg

umaqy2ys.jpg

Gettin there. But this rig won't look the part until those wheels and tires go on....

Today I added 2 auxiliary driving lights from KC and added the windshield decal.

She's starting to take on her persona but it just won't be where I want it to be until those damn wheels and tires get in!! Have I mentioned I'm super impatient when it comes to goodies lol

From what I've read, the wiring harness is in place regardless if the fog/driving lights were installed on the factory line. I want to recall that the harness is either green or brown? Either way, I would be more curious if the fuse was installed if the option for the lights were available.

From what I've read, the wiring harness is in place regardless if the fog/driving lights were installed on the factory line. I want to recall that the harness is either green or brown? Either way, I would be more curious if the fuse was installed if the option for the lights were available.

I didn't know of the fog light wiring harness. But this is good to know I might retrofit a pair. However there is no fuse for the fog lights, that I did check.

This arrived today:

upu4ugut.jpg

This is where I'm at now:

jeqyheja.jpg

Sits in there purdy but it's not hooked up yet. Ground is in and I wanna put the red wire into a 12V fuse as per the instructions but I can't determine which fuse uses 12 bolts...?! Any advice!? Thanks

I ended up using the cigarette lighter fuse and it worked fine.

The antenna is currently attached to the roof basked due to the braket type that came with it. I think I will have to buy a hood mounting bracket or make one for the trunk area.

Any other suggestions on where to mount this?

It's a 3Ft FireFly.

jaruratu.jpg

ne4upe9u.jpg

yduby4ur.jpg