CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

yup, thats a CV. this has happened to me every time I've replaced my struts. twice now. you'll have to remove the whole thing. Unbolt it from the front diff. Its a 12 or 13mm. then you'll need to clamp it in a vice, in the middle. take this opportunity to put new boots on. clean, inspect and re-lube the joint. check the snap ring on the end of the inner shaft. make sure it's still intact, line up the splined push down and give the end a sharp wack with a plastic dead blow hammer. it should make a slight click as the inner snap ring engages. re-clap the boot and reinstall the shaft. don't forget to torque the bolts on the diff.

Have fun, take your time, try not to swear to much and have a cold beer.

there are a couple of vids on YouTube where some Aussie mechanic goes through all these steps.

Hey S4 what size are those tires that on your pathfinder?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Those are 30's on a 16" factory rim

Sent from Tapatalk

yup, thats a CV. this has happened to me every time I've replaced my struts. twice now. you'll have to remove the whole thing. Unbolt it from the front diff. Its a 12 or 13mm. then you'll need to clamp it in a vice, in the middle. take this opportunity to put new boots on. clean, inspect and re-lube the joint. check the snap ring on the end of the inner shaft. make sure it's still intact, line up the splined push down and give the end a sharp wack with a plastic dead blow hammer. it should make a slight click as the inner snap ring engages. re-clap the boot and reinstall the shaft. don't forget to torque the bolts on the diff.

Have fun, take your time, try not to swear to much and have a cold beer.

there are a couple of vids on YouTube where some Aussie mechanic goes through all these steps.

Yikes....doesn't sound like fun at all. I just put it back together without doing anything to it. Probably a bad idea then eh?! Lol I haven't driven it yet as I still have a few things to do. One I find a way to get those rear shocks on, next problem is troubleshooting my CB as it says BUSY no matter what I do. I think I might have burned my transistor...?! That's the internet answer I'm getting so far from some good ol googling

Sent from Tapatalk

Solution: I'm mounting it without the metal rings. Only way to fit them without sawing the bottoms off and welding the old bottoms on. Cuz I don't have the tools to do that.

For anyone doing this, don't insert the metal tube rings into the the bushing or else you'll have to find a creative way of getting them out again. This is what I used. Worked well BtW lol

a1ed79d55c9040f313f2c23548364c53.jpg

ec246ed61b6c9246c9c739b103a04fa3.jpg

c662ab64361482f10e4464b3ff4bc6c4.jpg

And on another note...check out the toe on these suckers

96bdebd3a1b054688e910aadb36dabcb.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

Goddammit....wish I had replaced the coils too. Now with the new shocks, the driver side is visibly sagging...

The last thing I feel like doing is pulling those damn struts out again. All with hand tools and manual hand tool spring compressors....ugh, just spent 2 days on this!

668bef054d51ce26fe67999442015229.jpg

Sent from Tapatalk

88.5 cm driver side and 99.5 passenger side. From before and after measurements, the new shocks give an extra cm over the old ones. But once these settle that might be home again. The intent was not to lift it, but to support the spacer lift with the longer and new shocks and struts.

Sent from Tapatalk

Man that's a huge discrepancy , so your passenger side ground to wheel well is 99.5 cm after lift, and you driver side ground to wheel well is 88.5 cm after lift? Man why so much difference? Can you take side views of each side?

I opened up my radio and nothing looks fried. The fuse in the red wire seems good too. I unplugged the antenna completely from it and no matter what I do, it just reads busy. It keys in and shows that talk is active, but nothing works.... Any ideas?

Sent from Tapatalk

Goddammit....wish I had replaced the coils too. Now with the new shocks, the driver side is visibly sagging...

The last thing I feel like doing is pulling those damn struts out again. All with hand tools and manual hand tool spring compressors....ugh, just spent 2 days on this!

Sent from Tapatalk

I know your pain brother, First time I did this I put the spacers between the top hat and upper strut mount. then I F**#'d up the threads on the strut shaft pulling it apart to set things right. so first time I installed new struts I did everything twice. now 2 years later I did all again. I think I could do it in my sleep now. and yes all with hand tools.

before you button things up you'd better make sure that the CV is still together other wise it will rip itself apart. with the front on jackstands try spinning the wheel by hand, if the CV boot twists itself up you'll have to pull it apart and re-connect the two parts of the joint.

Man that's a huge discrepancy , so your passenger side ground to wheel well is 99.5 cm after lift, and you driver side ground to wheel well is 88.5 cm after lift? Man why so much difference? Can you take side views of each side?

Oups, sorry, just re-read my post. I meant to say 89, not 99. the difference is 1cm. not 11 lol.

True, thats a good point. The earliest I am expecting my wheels to be ready is mid September. Why it would ever take 6-8 weeks for steel rims is beyond me...

Sent from Tapatalk

f5a4499eb01da4c8d39ef1c4063318fd.jpg

c1fd4027432286bd27c4b1d175fbb332.jpg

d0603c31edd1856643a89ceaf9581127.jpg

Did some mild off-roading today. On my last weekend trip I discovered an awesome area with tons of black tracks leading off the main road, into the blue mountains. Went and took a sneak peak for some extended exploration trips in the fall.

Sent from Tapatalk

• Like 1

Took it off until I have stuff to put in it. Makes a lot of wind noise. And no, CB is still a mistery. Tried to ground the antenna better at no avail. It's a metal bracket screwed into metal. Figured it's grounded well enough?!

Sent from Tapatalk

Does the cb at least power on, your just not getting any signal from your antenna? Have you ran a swr meter on it to tune the antenna? Also try switching out your stud on your antenna mount, I had horrible swr readings like 2+ tried tuning it couldn't get it down switched the stud and was able to get it to 1.5, and yes my antenna mount is grounded as well since it's connected to my taillight guards.

Hmm...I don't have a SWR meter but my antenna is tunable by a screw on the top of it. Haven't really played around with that. It does turn on and goes through all 40 channels and the signal bars vary between stations too. It just says busy all the time and I cannot receive or transmit anything.

Sent via pigeon