CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Hope you're not suggesting that I think anything Stioc did was bad or wrong. Quite the opposite considering I proposed doing it, too. Nothing wrong with being mindful of other systems at play, and voicing it so others can draw their own conclusions and do things correctly. I'm the nay-sayer when I need to, but I'm also the guy thinking about how to do things better and safer.

...unlike that 12" SFD guy whining about cracking a pair of Fleurys spacers and calling them crappy and cheap on the NPORA Facebook page. Looks to me like he's using low-grade carriage bolts meant for lumber, judging by the square seat under a dome-shaped bolt head. He's the kind of backyard mechanic we should avoid being like. There's no excuse for making a death trap.

• Like 3

I raised the rear end an inch higher today. Will make a separate post for it to support Fleury's spacers. Here is a pic:

649dff37f3d62baa0f1525a544d6a5b0.jpg

And a teaser of things to come with the sliders:

d5ed52a1a1a3bb69c8afed9fb762c050.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks! And you are absolutely right. My intent was to get a roof rack basket, a 2" spacer lift and 31's. That was it lol. Buuuuut as we all know, a vehicle is NEVER finished and the gears keep turning and new ideas keep developing and more money keeps getting spent.

• Like 3

Still not mounted, but here's another sneak preview of what's to come. The install of these is much more extensive and complicated than I expected as the unibody "frame" sits behind the rocker panels. So instead of angling the connectors I'm welding on drop brackets to give the mounts a full flat surface to grab onto. This will also aid with protection of the undercarriage as the sliders will be flush with the crossmember brace underneath.

c91cd46e633e566a4b7fd00e370c4a94.jpg

6e88b80b0dfb7e5f72068419b21c5cbd.jpg

Edited by CDN_S4
  • Like 1

So I've been having this buzzing coming from behind my glove box that would go away when I applied some pressure on it with a finger. So I took a look behind it and stuffed it with rags to create that pressure from the inside. That didn't help so I decided to put a screw through it (this is where Hawairish will cringe lol) in order to apply constant pressure. So I figured if I'm already screwing into my dashboard, I might as well make something useful with it. Thought about a handle. But figured a handle would be better suited on the A pillar. So I decided on a strap to mount Molle pouches to hold various items that could be of use. And this theme matched my pathy as I already have a bunch of pouches all through it. This is the end result.

07a8e44038b1de8f6ef99e5e2bf969c5.jpg

babbec3168daf33ea316ae22c41d65c9.jpg

And since I was already drilling into the interior, I decided to permanently mount my machete.

abe90ca08d8a5093aa30b9ad488d8d1c.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using using Crapatalk

Damn man! A bit more armor, maybe some runflat tires, some added fuel capacity and you've got yourself one heck of a bugout ride! I think Steve made some custom "bugout edition" decals for bushnut, might need to look into that. Lol

Haha other than a belly plate I pretty much have all the armour there is. Added fuel, well I can carry 2 5gals on the back and I have 4 more I can put on the roof rack. I wouldn't put on run flat tires as I need the ability to air down. Key is simply to have a full size spare ready and a tire repair kit. I didn't build it AS a bug out truck but you are right, it definitely has taken that direction. Secretly we all hope for a zombie apocalypse lol. But seriously though if something happened that would call for people to bug out, I would be called into work lol. I might still need that bugout sticker though :)

• Like 1

I've always meant to put a 12V outlet in the trunk for convenience. When I saw the dual charger with USB and regular "cigarette lighter" plus volt meter on SPARKYONBASS's pathy, I knew that would be the way to go. Found this for $11 on eBay!

8c74f86c9bd3ca2bc33218c3cfbde02b.jpg

...this is where Hawairish will cringe lol...

Hahaha...no comment! :D

Actually, that seems to be a good way to use the space. I've seen similar setups, and after staring at my interior for seeming 30 mins today trying to figure out where to mount a CB, I pictured it with some holes.

Haha yeah that's a legit concern, but I've slammed the door a bunch of times and it spent 3 days on washboard gravel roads in that location and didn't budge. It's also very light and not overly sharp. I'm honesty not worried about it. Now if this was Final Destination 8 on the other hand... LOL

Edited by CDN_S4

Hahaha...no comment! :D

Actually, that seems to be a good way to use the space. I've seen similar setups, and after staring at my interior for seeming 30 mins today trying to figure out where to mount a CB, I pictured it with some holes.

Where are you thinking about mounting it?

Where are you thinking about mounting it?

Haha, well...I guess that's the best part: I'm not. I came across the Midland 75-822 earlier today. Handheld and mobile CB in one unit. You just swap the battery pack with an included DC adapter that breaks out into a 12V socket and antenna socket. I just need to run the antenna cable to the center console and boom: installed. Though, I suppose I need to figure out where to hang it. The unit really seems like the best of all worlds for my needs, and comes with plenty of accessories for the buck. I may even pick up an extra magnetic antenna for putting on the other vehicle for some upcoming road trips.

It's also very light and not overly sharp.

if your knife isn't sharp you might as well use a spoon.

A dull cutting tool is useless as well as dangerous as you have to apply more force to make it work, potentially causing it to slip and cut you. grab a file and sharpen that blade up mister. A machete doesn't have a hard edge so a file should do.

I'll also have to add, in our Boreal forest an Ax and a good pull saw (Silky makes great ones) will do better than a machete (jungle tool) for quick trail clearing.

• Like 1

I'm kinda a stickler about securing items inside a vehicle. After 18 years of law enforcement I've seen some pretty ordinary objects become deadly projectiles. In an accident I was involved in, a screwdriver from my toolbox I had all the way in the back was stuck in the dashboard(This was the demise of my 95 Pathfinder). I'm going to mount my Hi-Lift and pioneer tools to my roof basket and the other recovery gear in an ammo can that is bolted down. I'm working on plans for a drawer storage unit for the back. I guess I'm kind of ocd on this stuff. Just some thoughts on how to be a little safer.

• Like 2

if your knife isn't sharp you might as well use a spoon.

A dull cutting tool is useless as well as dangerous as you have to apply more force to make it work, potentially causing it to slip and cut you. grab a file and sharpen that blade up mister. A machete doesn't have a hard edge so a file should do.

I'll also have to add, in our Boreal forest an Ax and a good pull saw (Silky makes great ones) will do better than a machete (jungle tool) for quick trail clearing.

The machete is sharpened with a file, it's just not as sharp as I keep my knives. I did use a file too.

And I have an axe in my truck that's plenty sharp. It's mounted by 2 quick fists in my trunk also.

aea33947693816940da5ab5b98d67abb.jpg

Megaton, good point about the accident though. Due to the amount of things in my trunk, I'm planning on either installing a pet barrier or a raingler (sp?) net to keep anything from flying forward should I ever be in an accident.

Haha yeah that's a legit concern, but I've slammed the door a bunch of times and it spent 3 days on washboard gravel roads in that location and didn't budge. It's also very light and not overly sharp. I'm honesty not worried about it. Now if this was Final Destination 8 on the other hand... LOL

I can't put a machete there because that's where I have my 30 caliber machine gun mounted.

• Like 1