CDN_S4 build thread

CDN_S4

Lol yeah like I told my wife, she's no Prom Queen lol. I'm thinking that after next winter there will be new rust so I'll replace them then.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Time for a random photo.

6e504240a0343242503883e6901d8ee4.jpg

Also been talking to Fleury to make a rear spacer for the top that is designed for the WJ coil for all those running the SFD with WJ coils setup. 1" stackable as usual. Although mine sits pretty level I would like to raise the rear just a tad more. Especially now that the fenders in the front are cut more, it looks like it's lifted higher in the front.

9f69cd145d18686d7e5d91cf1020f5f4.jpg

Doesn't the pinch weld that runs along the bottom edge kf the car parallel and could be used a way to get things level? Oh wait, sorry it's early, you're going for a specific look, nevermind.

Still looks good!

-Kyle

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about lol

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about lol

The point where the side of the car meets the floor, I think it a good reference point to check for level ride. As it's usually parallel to ground. But I read your post again and saw you were going for something different. I thought I didn't click reply on that post, so yeah, it was was kinda of a pointless post. Lol

-Kyle

Hahaha, yeah Kyle's talking about the pinch weld below the rocker panels. It's got a straight edge, so you can get an idea of how level/raked the truck is. That is, presumably, if it too hasn't rusted off. :D (Ok, I'm done with the rust jokes...for now, hehe.)

Haha funny Patrick! Yes she's got her fair share of rust, she has her quirks, she rattles and squeaks, but she always comes through for me, never disappoints, always delivers and surprises me with how capable she really is, even when I try to push her limits. She's not the pretties of them all, she's not the fastest and not the strongest, but she can be trusted, she's reliable, surprisingly low maintenance, sexy in her own way, confident and best of all, she's mine! :)

c466f37a9e94fe4fd6b8a8a78682af09.jpg

• Like 1

Oh I know! I make light of her rust all the time lol. The sliders are arriving on the 4th. But I will be out in the woods until the 6th so it will be an after trip install unless they arrive a day early as I shipped them down to my buddy in Maine, where I'm headed for this trip.

Hey just read through some of your build thread. I really like your truck and S4. I just purchased an 03 Pathfinder with the same intentions as you to go where my Vw cant take me! Glad to see there is other Vw/Audi enthusiasts on NPORA

d4dfb2f4629cecf16dae15b1186ec0b2.jpg

a2794208015c276983a486d82860ade5.jpg

Edited by BuffaloR50
  • Like 1

Got back from the B52 trip. Had some unexpected challenges. My strut had popped out. Luckily with some creativity, a high lift, a crow bar a BA hammer and some ratchet straps we were able to pop it back in and continue the journey.

8e136645e0bb4d307586a0d0c31f9ffa.jpg

ff488144240018a71fa505742833ec20.jpg

017ff988d1e7d7a7fbede88e72ef67e2.jpg

370ed3a56aa61e39c8c1ccab8862f84f.jpg

1137d057e5d6dec02ac8901a38c23b05.jpg

90997408ce36bb6a56a498b3051a453a.jpg

27f5ff396f53f95690d7b6992ad3cd94.jpg

b954f43127a09e7ac8d73a6041035f33.jpg

b57a129afc791a1dcd8d02ddae35534e.jpg

3855da9228b1387b0f549775733c88ee.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/06/becb3caa78fbb0a7af82f2fbf68f73fd.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/06/e58ff369b7db21d6baed0ae6d9cf5e92.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/06/99e5814998a8e5f2cd58a58af3abe395.jpg

https://images.tapatalk-cdn.com/15/09/06/114a1ead37bfdaf72a1b1ad1af7aa769.jpg

• Like 2

Yeah the nut had loosened from the vibration of bombing down dirt roads and after some playing around in a gravel pit, this happened. Luckily we found the nut and nothing was actually broken. But the threads are toast so I'll have to get new struts.

Wow! Looks like you had quite an adventure, and a real "holy sh*t" moment! Awesome pics too, thanks for sharing. We love it up in Maine, can't wait to get back up there. I'd love to check out some of those trails and the crash site sometime. Will be great when my girls are old enough to enjoy stuff like that (currently 7mo & 2.5yrs).

Yeah the nut had loosened from the vibration of bombing down dirt roads and after some playing around in a gravel pit, this happened. Luckily we found the nut and nothing was actually broken. But the threads are toast so I'll have to get new struts.

That's really surprising/odd for a few reasons. I wonder if the nut was on too tight, though, enough to damage the threads on the strut. That's all it takes to that failure. It wasn't a nylock nut?

Not sure, it was just hand tightened. It was the stock nut with the built in washer, know what I mean those nuts with the wide flat end on one side. I'm thinking it wasn't tight enough and therefore it wiggled itself off and in the time it took the threads got damaged from getting banged around.

Okay, hold on, something doesn't seem right, first of which. You got a nylon lock nut on with your hands?? Dang Lol, assuming it was just loosely put on, should the nylon prevent the nut from turning at all??

In all seriousness though, glad your okay. That looks like a fairly scary situation.

-Kyle

It wasn't a nylon and it wasn't by hand of course. It was a flange nut. I never leave home without a socket set and a torque wrench. Luckily this happened while slowly driving up a winding gravel road to the top of a mountain. I had just turned a hard right when something popped and the truck pulled hard to the right. I immediately pulled over. This is how we were able to find the nut, which despite the 4"deep SFD spacer managed to fling out of the engine bay. Had this happened at cruising speed I'm sure it wouldn't have ended this well.

• Like 1

Oh crap, my bad, I seem to loose my ability to read and then comprehend what I read when I enter your thread, lol.

And that's crazy it founds it way out, proof to how much force our shocks and Springs have, I wouldn't be surprised if you found a dent in your hood structure from the nut! Lol

Your going for some GR-2'S I presume?

-Kyle

I'm just surprised the flange nut came loose in the first place. The torque on that is relatively high, I believe...I want to say near 50 ft-lbs. But yeah, glad it was at low speed, that could've been really bad. Just imagine: at one point, the truck was fully supported by the ball joint and a twisted spring...and that's about it!

Oh crap, my bad, I seem to loose my ability to read and then comprehend what I read when I enter your thread, lol.

And that's crazy it founds it way out, proof to how much force our shocks and Springs have, I wouldn't be surprised if you found a dent in your hood structure from the nut! Lol

Your going for some GR-2'S I presume?

-Kyle

Lol

Yeah I'm sticking with the KYB, despite the issue. I'm going to attribute it to either too much or too little torque on the nut. I'll get another Excel-G, as that's what I have on the other side. Struts are only 11 months old so no need to get them both replaced.

No dent in the hood as I still have the hood liner in. This will go once I put in hood louvers.