Conflicted about my RR Super Sliders

stioc

I really wanted to get the Rocky Road super sliders and I finally got them. First thing I noticed was they are very well built, good quality and sturdy- but heavier than I'd expected at approx 80lbs for the pair.

Anyway, I got one of them installed today after 2hrs of lining up and drilling- no template was included so I had to do some extra measuring etc. However, for some reason I'm not 100% sure I like them. I kinda like the cleaner no-slider look better or maybe I just need to get used to them. I'm als not thrilled that I lost about 2" of clearance under the rocker panels because of them. 2" or so is all I have over stock so I'm not excited about losing it, granted it's under the rocker panels but now I have more chances of getting hung up on rocks and really using the sliders just from the fact that there's 2" of extra stuff hanging under the rocker panels now. If I had a bigger lift I wouldn't mind them at all.

What are your guys' thoughts? remove and sell them or keep them?

Without:

CC0B66CC-FBD0-47A8-90E8-6899D6313283-513-0000002E59173891.jpg

With:

32AD42E0-B5AB-416E-ACA8-B5F4DAF119C0-513-0000002E5429F348.jpg

Without:

08465EF8-5453-4C23-B525-D3C6A79AA40A-513-0000002E4DE9B9FE.jpg

With:

989AE654-E6A1-4432-BD88-7C09A28BDB26-513-0000002E48389629.jpg

they look real nice and dont hang down low at all. ive seen ones that hung way down. thats nothing. if anything. its up close to the body too much for my liking! lol. i want my sliders to double as steps for wd21. :)

I have had the whole truck sliding on them and they have held up well. I think they look good and they provide a highlift jack point as well. the first time I wheeled my Pathy I dented the passenger door (rear) from not having them installed they were in the garage! LOL!!!!

Edited by PaMountianbiker

I would keep them. They look great on your rig, and you definitely want to keep your rig looking as clean as it is.

They aren't really that noticeable, and you're actually not really losing any ground clearance anyway, since parts of the undercarriage, including the transmission crossmember and the trailing arm mounts, are lower than the sliders. The sliders are helpful in situations where you are trying to steer around a tree stump or rock and you need to force the slider into the rock to pivot around it. Without the slider, you would be crunching up your rocker panel, or being forced to take a wider line which might cause other issues with successfully negotiating the obstacle.

• Like 1

^^^ This a very good point actually because the bottom of the sliders is even with the bottom of the frame rails. The truck just 'looks' lower now (more sedate if you will) because the gap between it and the ground is not as much as it used to be. Wish I had another couple of inches...of ground clearance :lmao::laugh: Maybe 32s next time- but I'm so need to stop spending all the cash on it :blush02:

^^^ This a very good point actually because the bottom of the sliders is even with the bottom of the frame rails. The truck just 'looks' lower now (more sedate if you will) because the gap between it and the ground is not as much as it used to be. Wish I had another couple of inches...of ground clearance :lmao::laugh: Maybe 32s next time- but I'm so need to stop spending all the cash on it :blush02:

Let me know when you manage to do that... cuz i sure havent been able to! Every $ i get goes to mine! :rofl::suicide:

They also provide a good jack point for a high lift. Remember, although they may be 80lbs, that weight is very low on the truck. Definitely keep them, I always dread spotting the guys without sliders, slows everything down, one misplaced tire and Crunch!

32's will only get you another 1/2" of ground clearance from what you've got now, and the whole reason you get sliders is because you don't have enough ground clearance anyway. If you had gobs of ground clearance, sliders would be less of a necessity!

More good points man! :)

The tire size I have is a 245/75/16 so it's 30.46" and most people run 265/75/16 on the R50s which is 31.6". I was in a connundrum when I was deciding on the tire size. Initially the 32" is what I wanted but I heard that I'd need additional backspacing. Not wanting to replace the wheels or run spacers I decided to go with a skinnier 245 tire (OEM was 255) and it's turned out to be a good choice for the amount of lift I have and its weight etc. I sometimes wonder if I should've tried 235/85/16, at the time I thought that would be way too narrow compared to the stock tire and may peel off the stock rim when air'd down on the trails but I'm sure it would've been fine. I know some even run 37" tires but personally I wouldn't want to go beyond 32" tires from the reliability perspective.

Do you have a lift on your's? your website's not working and your sig is not helping my headache :laugh: OK I got the front/rear ARB lockers, tires size and the engine code, not sure what RE4R01A/TX10-3.7 is though :blush:

• Like 1

Do you have a lift on your's? your website's not working and your sig is not helping my headache :laugh: OK I got the front/rear ARB lockers, tires size and the engine code, not sure what RE4R01A/TX10-3.7 is though :blush:

My "website" has been inoperative for quite a few years. I gave up on maintaining it. :)

I have the 2" AC lift on my ride and I've driven some pretty gnarly trails up here in NorCal and out in Utah. My sig indicates, among other things, that my powertrain has the 4-speed automatic tranny and the TX10 transfer case with 3.7:1 crawler gears installed.

I've been pondering whether to get the SFD. I already have extended brake lines, so all I really need are the subframe blocks and strut spacers, panhard bracket, steering link, rear springs and shocks. I haven't really "needed" the extra lift for the type of trails I've been running, though. What I've got has been working pretty well for the last 10+ years. Besides, the lack of ground clearance forces me to become a better driver. ;)

• Like 2

I agree with everyone else, your truck is in such nice shape it would be a pity to have the bodywork end up looking like mine :laugh: (especially if you come out to Joshua Tree again or Anza Borrego with us).

Don't worry about the weight, I think my El Cheapo brush guard, rack & off road lights weigh more than your whole truck!! :lmao::laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

• Like 1