VIEW FROM BEHIND THE PARTS COUNTER

Alkorahil

Nice, I got one. A long time ago back in NY when I was working at the 4x4 shop, the company was working out of a 2 bay shop at the time, one side was dealer work the other regular customer work. So one of the guys working on a new dealer truck breaks one of the wheel studs when installing a new set of wheels, the dumb ass put silicone on the broken stud and tried to stick the lug nut to it !! His cousin who ran the new car side saw it and nailed him !! May be related to the guy from wallyworld !!!

• 4 weeks later...

why cant you resurface it?

LOL

They still have one good brake pad, so they're fine. Must be just trying to rip off the customer...........

It's a common part of being in the industry people always think you are trying to screw them.

See, now you are just being technical! Was it at the wear limit? :lol:

I don't feel sorry for people who let things go this far. They HAVE TO know something is wrong and they just ignore it. Car repairs aren't always convenient or cheap, but they must be done. Putting off M, PM or just plain repairs will almost always mean a higher bill in the long run.

All to often I hear a vehicle drive by, squealing, clanking or grinding, and I just roll my eyes and mutter "Idiots" under my breath.

B

• Like 1

I know what you mean, I hear that squeel and think......not spending $50-$80 now for front pads will cost you $300-$500 pads and rotors soon.

I wish it was just brakes. I hear CVs popping, power steering or alternator belts sqealing (sometimes non stop), horrible exhaust leaks, radiators leaking/hissing, loose parts clanking and even dragging. I don't claim to know it all, but WTH? One day my ex-landlady pulled up and said her car was making a clunking noise, so she drove 10 feet so I could hear it. I told her to pull in the driveway and when she asked what it was, I said "watch" and when I popped the hub cap off, 2 lug nuts fell out. Yeah, it was a 4 lugger... :rolleyes:

B

My great-grandfather ignored the godawful wheel bearing noises in a Chevy he had until the wheel straight fell off. The man was cheap (he lived through the Depression and spent much of his life in search of the cheapest drinkable scotch) but not broke, so there must've been something else at play here... some mixture of ignorance and apathy.

I guess it's easier to say 'it just does that, I'll get it looked at one of these days' than take it to a mechanic and shell out.

Rob, where the hell do all these people/cars come from for you to take pictures of? I swear it is not remotely normal, so don't say "Texas" because I already know that Texas is not remotely normal, but that doesn't explain it... :lol:

B

We have a 24 bay shop and there are some days where we roll 100 vehicles or more vehicles through the service department. Odds are we will see strange/odd and bizzare things now an then!

Add to this we are dealing with the general public, not mechanically minded or anything. All most people know is how to put gas in their car, and sometimes change the oil and put tires on it. Otherwise, as long as it starts every time there is nothing wrong with their car and nothing it needs done to it. They never look under the hood. You would be surpised how many people have never looked under the hood of their car and dont even know how to pop the hood of their car, and its not just women, men too. (though more women than men)

When you talk to them they have no clue what you are talking about, even if you try to keep it simple. It is actually refreshing when you get a customer who knows just basics of car mechanics and can follow along with what you are talking about.

People dont believe me when I say rats can cause problems in winter. They look for nice warm and safe places to hide and nest like your garage. Add keeping food items or pet food, etc in the garage and its a rat/mouse dream come true.

Every year around this time we get stuff like that. This past Friday a tech did an EGI harness repair on an Altima where rats had chewed on the harness.

• Like 1

Unfortunately, I do know how clueless some people are, begining with my wife. I won't go into it unless asked, but I did explain to her that my belief is that you have no right to drive a car if you can not/do check tire pressure, engine oil level, tranny fluid level, radiator level, fill the gas or change a tire and know how, when or why, much less when to pull over when there is a problem.

Seriously, I've told my wife to change her own tire when she was 4 miles from home (she often travels 200 miles). I hung up when she was whining about not knowing how, but I'll be damned if she didn't have the spare on by the time I got there. Funny that... ;)

B

• 3 weeks later...

I got to help out the police department figure out an Altima VIN number today.

They only had the last 7 numbers they could read.

It was a stolen vehicle and the VIN plates had been removed and scratched off.