VIEW FROM BEHIND THE PARTS COUNTER

Alkorahil

It frustrates and amuses me that some that people will try to return something stating they never used it....when the box is open and it is covered in dirt and grease adn the bolts have the paint off the edges here a wrench was on it...then when you tell them it is used they of course they got it that way out of a sealed box from the factory...... <sigh> We then have to stand our ground and we become the bad guys somehow....I dont get it.

Its almost as bad as when someone tried to return something they got in a salvage yard in a box. I then point out to them the salvage yard markings they (are suposed to) put on the parts by law here. I have been doing this for a long time.............and I know where and the names of most of the salvage yards in DFW. LOL

But I also seem to possess some powerful magical powers. I can make the phones ring! All I have to do is sit at my desk doing nothing for awhile, then get up to go do something and BOOM, three calls for me all at once! Several times a day today this happened. I should get on a talk show....

It frustrates and amuses me that some that people will try to return something stating they never used it....when the box is open and it is covered in dirt and grease adn the bolts have the paint off the edges here a wrench was on it...then when you tell them it is used they of course they got it that way out of a sealed box from the factory...... We then have to stand our ground and we become the bad guys somehow....I dont get it.

Its almost as bad as when someone tried to return something they got in a salvage yard in a box. I then point out to them the salvage yard markings they (are suposed to) put on the parts by law here. I have been doing this for a long time.............and I know where and the names of most of the salvage yards in DFW. LOL

But I also seem to possess some powerful magical powers. I can make the phones ring! All I have to do is sit at my desk doing nothing for awhile, then get up to go do something and BOOM, three calls for me all at once! Several times a day today this happened. I should get on a talk show....

Even worse, I've been in line behind the idiot who is arguing about returning a used part. I usually want to slap them and push them out the door... P...

I learned about the phone phomenon a long time ago. If I'm waiting for a phone call, I go do something else that will interfere with me answering it; being out of earshot or under a car or something like that. It's the quickest way to make the phone ring.

B

"Both of these tires have really poor sidewalls and are junk.

I never had a decent tire fail like this on me. Even after running a punctured tire for 20 miles not realizing it was punctured or that the pressure was low. I still run the same high end Yokohama tires and they are still on my truck and I never had any problems with them even with all the things they have been through. They are due for a replacement soon though because their tread wear is low."

Well we've all heard the Firestone stories, I have to admit I researched and bought the Firestone's new, I had vibration problems with them when I first bought them, I bought them mounted on the wheels from Tirerack.com, they were pretty good ended up having all 4 replaced, won't buy them again, running kumho's now and they seem pretty good, had falkens before them, not many choices in the 195/50/15 size in my price range.The goodyears were on the truck when I bought it.

Having mounted tires for a few years and working in a 4x4 shop I wouldn't buy a set of goodyears, the one's that were on our titan were crap too. I like Michelin but they are just so pricey. Years ago I had a set of Yokohama mud diggers on my hardbody, I always ran mud terrains even though most of the 4 wheeling we did was on the beach in real soft sand the mud terrains just did really good, but 2 things about the Yokohama's I noticed, one they don't float very well in the sand they just wanted to keep digging down, and two the knobs were so soft you could push them around with your finger so they didn't last very long.

Give it time when you get a couple more sets of tires you may have a problem one day, everyone does, hopefully you won't never want to see someone get hurt or anything, but when you've had as many sets of tires as I have had over the years sooner or later you will have a problem with one of them.

I had tire blow outs on other vehicles. They were all bargain bin junk so far. Why so many people buy the cheapest tires possible is beyond me. I get the best set I can find. Price is no object when it comes to safety and reliability.

• Like 1

Not my vehicle but here is one that went on me:

407602_10150478536109075_2085804906_n.jpg

POS Michelin tire. Not a run-flat type. The tire just blew up for no apparent reason. My theory was it caught something which caused it to deflate first and then pop from flexing the sidewall.

393977_10150484933584075_1619780837_n.jpg

New tires, Yokohama Geolandar AT-S. Run-flat type tires.

Later got this crap stuck in it with my luck and even though the tire could not be repaired it did not blow up on the road even with no pressure inside.

420036_10150602474719075_589584726_n.jpg

Case in point, good tires are worth buying. Take a loan out if you have to, it might save your life. If they are not from the bargain bin, they will most likely be able to take a hit or two without blowing up.

Don't mean to hijack the thread but I feel like it's worth sharing.

You can keep posting your stories now. :lol:

Edited by Tungsten

Weird... I always thought they were run flat just by how well they keep their sidewall together. That would be a mistake on my part then. They are still an amazing tire for minivans and trucks. Either the HT/S or AT/S is definitely worth getting depending on your preferences.

Ok so yes back on topic. Any more stories?

About that license plate thing... I think it's really funny how it's mandatory in some states and not others. Every time I go to PA it gets trippy when I don't see the front plates on vehicles when I'm so used to seeing them around here. Also some cops can be really nit picky about things just to write more tickets. They are usually newbies and just started working. One time I got pulled over for failing to remove some thin crust of melting snow off my hood. $50 ticket for no reason. I was only going to spend more money with time and gas fighting it.

I have a behind the counter type story. One day when I was working at the 4x4 shop back home, this guy pulls into the parking lot to have four 44" tires balanced, not a big deal we worked with 44"s and larger tires all the time, the weird part is this guy drove to the shop with a 70's Cadillac or chevy 4 door car and had one tire sitting on the hood, one on the trunk lid and one on the roof, can't recall where the 4th tire was and not one of them was strapped down !!!

he must have been driving real slow no idea how he made it to the shop. Thought I've seen weird things down here in Florida but have never seen anyone do something like that again !!

I kid you not...

We had a lady about 4 or 5 years ago pul her car up on the service drive, it was an older 90's altima or maxima IIRC.

She had old tires tied all around the sides of her car......like you see tugboats do.

Needless to say she was a little..........strange......

That also makes me remember the lady one Saturday morning who came in right after we opened who proceeded to tell the service manager that she had been abducted by aliens and they had just dropped her off in the empty lot accross the street from us.

Everyonce in a while we have fun like this at work....

I kid you not...

We had a lady about 4 or 5 years ago pul her car up on the service drive, it was an older 90's altima or maxima IIRC.

She had old tires tied all around the sides of her car......like you see tugboats do.

:rofl:

It's always nice to have a camera handy for this reason.

Ok, this is dredged up from a while back when I was about 20 but I remember it well. I was working at a gas station when a local guy pulled in and said he needed a new tire because someone said so*. We walked over to this (IIRC) Chebby Citation where the front driver's side tire was in the worst condition I have ever seen to this day on a moving vehicle (and the passenger side was close). It was scalloped about 1/2" deep every 4" radially but not just at the edges; it tapered to the center of the tire and was at or throught the cords at the deepest points.

I explained that he had more than a tire issue, that there were severe issues with the front end and that I doubted it was safe to drive on. I wanted to put it on the lift to take a look but he refused, saying he barely had the $ for a new tire. He left without a tire...

I felt bad for the old guy but we couldn't just slap a tire on for liability reasons. He seriously looked like this

Denver_Pyle.JPG

Even worse, he lived 3 blocks away from me and I saw that damn car hopping and clawing it's way down the street with Uncle Jesse at the wheel more times than anyone would ever want to see. Apparently someone just sold him a used tire... :shrug:

B

I'm running Yoko Geolander AT/S's - never seen them marketed as run flats.

Idaho requires front plates too. Growing up here I first found it odd that it isn't like that everywhere! Also, it's your own damn fault if you don't install the front plate. They give you both plates at the dmv when you pay your registration... :shrug: They will even loan you a screwdriver to install the plates with!

I'd like to see some more strict(er) rules here. We have emissions testing in my county (unlike the rest of the state) and we're trying to get it implemented in the next county over. Doesn't do much good to test our vehicles when any hick can drive his smoking heap over here.

I've seen poor scenarios with tires before too. I worked in a corner shop through high school. Can't even count all the times I had to turn people away because a tire was too worn to repair, or we couldn't safely work on something without overhauling the whole front end. Just the other day I heard a "fwap fwap fwap" sound coming down the street. When it finally appeared it was an old jeep truck that had one of the front tires coming apart and fwapping against the road as he drove (very) slowly.

One of my favorite memories is someone coming in with this ugly green old chevy van, complaining of a ticking noise. Yeah, he was only about 4 quarts low on oil....

Edited by Harbinger

I dont understand.

It happens a lot.

A person calling in a phone order from another state will freely give their full name, address, phone number, credit card number, experation date, cardholder name as printed and CVS number on the back of the card and email address........but doesnt feel 'comfortable' giving me their vehicle's VIN?

On a different note....the 2013 Altimas are rolling on on the trucks now. Something new is good I guess. I always reserve jugdement till the first year is over to listen to customer feedback on a new design. Im nervous about the new Gen II CVT and still puzzled by how they fit a 7 speed manual that will hold up into one with a V6.

Can't stand the CVT transmissions, my wife's friend has a 2007 sentra (which I heard was designed by renault or something ???), has the CVT, everytime you lift on the gas pedal it just feels like someone stepped on the brake. I'll keep my 5 speed with it's cable actuated clutch thank you very much

You just have to adapt to how the CVT works. Letting your foot off the gas is telling the computer that you want to slow down and it's what you get. A CVT is hands down better for fuel economy than a conventional transmission. For a daily appliance type vehicle it works fine.

For a driver's car, manual is the way to go. For automatic transmissions, a CVT is a whole lot better (and lighter) than a conventional automatic. The only place you might run into trouble running a CVT is on heavy vehicles like trucks.

My 90 HP sentra is a drivers car !! LoL, I drive the crap out of it, 85-90 everyday to work, and it's 22 years old, no major engine work has ever been done, and I just filled it and averaged 32 MPG, I know new they were rated like 36 highway so 32 is pretty good considering the way I drive. Not having the plugged cat on it definitely helped it out a lot.

CVTs suckkkkkkkk. We have a Caliber with one at work, that thing is retarded. Feels like a slipping auto. To me a mile a gallon or two isn't worth putting up with a CVT at all.