VIEW FROM BEHIND THE PARTS COUNTER

Alkorahil

Anyone know 4wheelers/quads? Didn't Polaris use CVTs? I know in my senior design class we used a CVT setup stolen from a Polaris? for our mini-baja project. It wasnt' computer controlled and worked on centrifugal force/speed.

The whole problem with CVT transmissions is not the transmission itself but how the computers on those cars are programmed. I agree they do suck on most cars but they only suck because no one can set them up properly. When set up properly, they are better and lighter and more compact than any other transmission. For example CVTs are great for turbocharged applications because they can vary the ratios to keep perfect boost all the time. Nissan has been working on some new cool CVT designs too that can handle heavy loads.

The cvt not always lighter. Just got done replacing a cvt in a 07 maxima. That sucker was heavy!

I like how they operate. Nothing like staying on the power curve as long as possible!

Yep not always lighter. I feel your (back)pain on that maxima transmission.

Did you get your fluid problem worked out? I am guessing the transmission was no good if you replaced it.

Yep, had a Cube traded in that needed a new axle that day. I was able to verify the correct fluid and show my S/A and manager. Inspector came out tried to move the car and just signed for a new trans. They were all a bit skeptical. So it goes for a Nissan tech working at a Toyota dealer!

Cubes are trash. It's like a bootleg Scion. Apparently they are very popular but you get what you pay for.

I think that eventually these issues with CVTs will be resolved just like everything else. For now they are going to be a big pain in the you know where but in time the CVT transmissions will actually be really good on future cars.

Their biggest issue right now is in the friction belt. Nissan is actually working on something called Extroid CVT to get rid of the belt completely.

Extroid_CVT.jpg

:jacked:

So this afternoon my favorite kind of customer came up to the parts counter and I went out to help them (it was my turn)

He and his wife had just bought a new Titan Crew Cab SE. In a nutshell he and her BOTH wanted everything you could possibly buy for it as far as accessories, and even asked about some Nissan didnt make. For the things they wanted that we dont carry I made some recommendations for reputable companies.

I went though all the options with him, showing them how they looked and pricing. He never batted an eye at any price I gave. I showed them some they didnt know about and made recommendation against things I didnt think they would like and my reasoning.

Everyonce in a while that sort of customer comes wandering your way. I always feel its important to balance selling things with giving them infomation and choices and establishing some sort of relationship, and never come accross as pushy ever- I am not a car salesman.

• Like 1

They bought about half the things and I gave them information on the others. Even if they bought nothing that day I never consider that a waste of time you never know who will come back and make a purchase. If anything they had a good experience and will come back when they need something else.

Edited by Alkorahil

So I read this article today and just shook my head. Take a look and be warned:

U.S. auto safety officials will warn Americans today that the air bags in over 100 vehicle models could be dangerous counterfeits, telling them to have their cars and trucks inspected as soon as possible. The unfortunate catch: Owners will have to pay -- not just for the inspection, but for the replacement of any counterfeit air bags, which could cost more than $1,000 each.

The unprecedented alert from the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration follows a lengthy investigation by auto safety and U.S. customs officials into counterfeit air bags, mostly made in China, sold as cheap replacements for factory equipment to independent mechanics and on eBay. While NHTSA says it has no reports of injuries or deaths linked to a counterfeit device, in its testing the counterfeit bags had "consistent malfunctioning," ranging from not deploying on impact to throwing metal shards.

The warning only covers vehicles which might have had their air bags replaced in the last three years by any mechanic not connected to a dealership; dealers are required to use factory certified air bags. That means not just vehicles crashed, but those whose air bags may have been stolen or used cars and trucks that may have deployed their air bags before they were bought. The advisory also applies to anyone who bought an air bag from eBay or "non-certified sources" for unusually low prices, typically about $400.

"Anytime equipment that is critical to protecting drivers and passengers fails to operate properly, it is a serious safety concern," said U.S. Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood. "We want consumers to be immediately aware of this problem and to review our safety information to see if their vehicle could be in need of inspection."

Although NHTSA says counterfeit air bags affects "less than 0.1 percent" of U.S. vehicles, that would still be roughly 3 million cars and trucks needing inspections. Officials say the problem shouldn't be that widespread, expecting only tens of thousands of fake air bags have entered use.

If your car meets those criteria and is listed in this table showing the models affected, NHTSA asks that you call your vehicle's manufacturer at hotlines which are still being established. There's no way short of a mechanic's inspection to know whether a replacement bag is counterfeit; the faulty bags were often sold with fake insignias.

Earlier this year, federal agents charged a North Carolina man with trafficking counterfeit air bags, seizing more than 1,500 in a raid. In February, a Chinese man was sentenced to three years in federal prison after Customs officials seized more than 300 fake air bags from his auto parts company. The man, Dai Zhensong, admitted that his firm had bought original air bags from several automakers, then tore them down to make moulds for counterfeits, using badges bought from auto dealers in China. The fake bags were advertised on his company's site for $57 a piece; a real replacement air bag can run $1,000 for a driver's side unit and more for other locations.

That cost may prove the biggest hurdle for the government to overcome. Since NHTSA's action isn't a recall, vehicle owners will have to pay for the inspection, which may cost up to $100. If a fake air bag is found, owners would then have to pay for a real one to be installed. Many newer model vehicles have several air bags for passenger and side-impact protection; NHTSA hasn't yet clarified whether those types of air bags will need to be inspected as well, although most of the fake air bags found so far have been driver's side. Even when a recall is paid for by an automaker, on average about a third of the vehicles covered are never brought in for service.

This has been going on for years, it isnt really news to us behind the counter. SEMA has been trying to get legislation for years against cheap copies and knock off from China being sold here. There are too many safety, brake and suspension parts made from cheap metal and inferior materials coming into here. All people see is that it is cheap. As a long-time ebayer of parts, once Ebay started pushing the E-store feature, I have seen Ebay become inudated with these sorts of things over the past few years.

I dont know about other states, but here in TX its illegal to even use a salvage airbag. I know it happens anyways as it isnt enforced too much. I have been witness and present at a salvage yard and seen them selling them to customers and making the transaction. On the other hand, if you go on the cheap and it doesnt work when you need it to...oh well you made the choice, same as buying any other salvage part.

Airbags can only be purchased at the dealer. If the airbag is $800 and 'some guy' online is selling it for $300. The dealer is not ripping you off. But that is the position people always take, that we are the bad guys somehow, not realizing what is really going on.

Yes, airbags are expensive. I will not dispute that. But the auto manufactuer is the one that had to do the R&D and go through the mountain of government mandated saftey tests and ceritifications on the part that cost a lot of money and time to do.

Those cheapo copy guys do not have to go through that, and do not care if their part meets any standards. They also do not have the liabilty the manufactuer has if the part fails in a crash.

Using a salvage yard bag ain't unheard of here. Heck, most the time when we get a used steering colum for something it has the bag with it. I will admit that it makes life simpler, as long as you don't have a light as soon as you turn the key. You ain't supposed to sell used converters but yards will do that and just right it up as "exhaust pipe" if you want a receipt.

I dont see an issue either if the bag was from a non-wrecked vehicle. I would be leary of one from a big wreck that didnt deploy.

I do have a problem with body shops buying them used and billing insurance for a new one and/or not telling the customer what was put in their car.

Here is the video in question:

[media=]

[/media]

The problem is that air bags are expensive and anyone looking to save money on repairs that won't be looking in a junkyard is going to be browsing eBay for so called cheaper alternatives and this is what could happen.

Nothing like shrapnel to face.

Might as well replace it with one of these:

427895_447007072008590_1650036240_n.jpg

Edited by Tungsten

• 1 month later...

So we had this Altima in the shop today with a no start issue. The customer had just got a new battery put in at WallyMart.

Apparently the terminal was corroded and broke when the new battery was put in, so they put a new (wrong) terminal connector over the old one to make a connection and put a nail through it to hold it in place........

You see the darndest things here sometimes.

IMG950010.jpg

Edited by Alkorahil