Crazy things the previous owner did...

ChatWithaNinja

What have you found that the previous owner did that you would NEVER do?

I found out last night as I wobbled to a stop that the previous owner put new rims on the Pathfinder with conical lug nuts on a flat lugged rim...

Had to pull out the jack and tighten them down. 3 lug nuts were missing...

I'll be getting the correct lug nuts soon, but at least I am safe for now.

I found on my rig, shortly after I got it, that the previous owner had the exhaust manifolds repaired. Unfortunatly it didnt last long. I went in to repari adn found whoever repaired it, cut slits in the body to bend the sheet metal to they could gain access to work. They didnt put it back or anything. Oh, and they had to drill out a stud I found and were a bit off center, creating a issue with new studs going in. I fixed it and just shook my head.

PO wired 4 - 35W lights via one 16g power wire. The run went from the engine compartment all the way back to the hatch, up to the roof and back to the front of the cab. He couldn't figure out why it was blowing fuses :shrug:

Cut th grill so the wal-marts cheapy fog lights would be more flush, replaced the Stock shocks with the auto magic adjust factory ones and wired it decently, added a mistory button under the dash that I have never figured out what it did. And Smoked crack in it.

the day after i pick up my 92 4 door i was cleaning it out and some thing hissed at me .. the PO must of been a prankster he had a rubber motion sensitive snake set up under the front passengers seat after changing my undies it got tossed with a few expletives :) he also had created the mother of all rat nests of a sound system install ive never seen the like of again :)

LOL That snake thing is actually pretty damn funny!! Well, maybe not that funny in OZ I suppose, where most of the snakes are poisonous...

I've seen a lot of dumb stuff in the past, but all 3 pathys that I have purchased were pretty much stock, so little to critique. The first one did have an after market shifter installed, the Kragen one size fits all-clamps with a set screw kind. It must have been loose or something because the PO filled it with epoxy and stuck it on too. I had to remove it with a hacksaw...

B

hmm. let me think. There's been quite a few things. Nothing terrible like airconditioner.jpg

But here's a few things:

First of all, not really that big of a deal, but what pisses me off the most is that the previous owner put 30inch tires on the truck. So my speedometer is off by 14%, my odometer is racking up 14% more miles, and my engine is revving 14% higher. 3 different brands of tire. The spare tire was on a Nissan XE chrome wheel with a 27inch tire.

The stereo wiring harness was a mess...omg.

I have one brand of speaker in the drivers door, another brand in the pass. door, and some speakers out of a Chrysler in the back.

SEVERAL broken bolts/screws that were just left.

2 of my 3 tensioners for acc. belts were broken.

The intermediate pipe (the one with right after the Y pipe, and has the cat) has about six different welds. It has been spliced at least that many times.

My rear sliding window has no latch. I have no idea.

My sunroof glass has black caulk all over the bolts.

When I bought it, it had a half-full bottle of Power-steering fluid just chillin' next to the battery with no cap. Not even DEXRON, just some gas station BS.

The left side of my bed, pretty much where the tail light is, is all putty and bondo.

And my wiring harness for a trailer hook-up is pretty much nonexistant.

I think that's all I can complai- Uh, I mean, "think" of right now.

Other than that, there's just a lot of minor broken and missing stuff.

If I had spent a bit more time looking at the vehicle, I would have seen most of the stuff, but I still love it.

Wired the headlights into each other so that one wouldnt work....

Restored to stock wiring and they work fine...i have NO idea why they even did that...

Put a screw in a vacuum line instead of buying the 50cents in line to replace it...

Left sunflower seeds in the center console...

and left a 20$ under the driver seat!

Wired the headlights into each other so that one wouldnt work....

Probably trying to bypass a failing headlight switch then replaced the switch without ever un-doing the half-fast wiring

Hmm... never washed out the frame rails, left what I think was a mixture of cigarette ashes and coffee in the console, left several varieties of french fry under the seats, parked it under a pine tree for ages, and did this to the ignition wiring:

P1010002-10.jpg

That's a knot. They crimped in a new section, then (was it too long? were they out of crimp fittings?) they cut it in half and literally tied the loose ends together. :doh:

Edit: turns out the PO installed the cheapest timing belt he could find, and tightened it down way too far.

That said, I've spilled both fake blood and pine-scented kerosene onto the rear carpet, hacked a power outlet into the dome light to run a little vent fan, 'fixed' my worn out rear hatch struts with a coat hanger and some duct tape, and installed two switches for one set of lights... I don't intend to be a PO, but if I become one, doubtless someone else will curse me. :lol:

Edited by Slartibartfast

Gfs truck has been a nightmare...budget lift....removed coil spring spacers...scary @!*% right here...had to replace the springs

004.jpg

He had wires run thru holes in the front wall with no grommets and couldn't figure out y the fogs didn't work...no fish battery to switch to lights to ground...a wonder the truck didn't burn down. I pulled about 300' of unused, spliced in sites that I clipped and called good..also he did an awful bondo job...like 2" thick of bondo.

Edited by unccpathfinder

Gfs truck has been a nightmare...budget lift....removed coil spring spacers...scary @!*% right here...had to replace the springs

004.jpg

He had wires run thru holes in the front wall with no grommets and couldn't figure out y the fogs didn't work...no fish battery to switch to lights to ground...a wonder the truck didn't burn down. I pulled about 300' of unused, spliced in sites that I clipped and called good..also he did an awful bondo job...like 2" thick of bondo.

WOW!! That is a serious "REDNECK" lift...but i bet it rides like a caddy.....NOT

004.jpg

That is unbelievable!! I am totally dumfounded that someone would do such a thing! Seriously... :ohno01:

B

One of the rubber ones came out while cornering...knew exactly what it was...the metal ones were still on the springs when I tossed them...they sale these things at advance and autozone...its like their ricer wheel spacers....don't do it

One of the rubber ones came out while cornering...knew exactly what it was...the metal ones were still on the springs when I tossed them...they sale these things at advance and autozone...its like their ricer wheel spacers....don't do it

Good call.

This truck was abused before I got it...the windows is cracked and the trees went down the entire roof

009.jpg

007.jpg

005.jpg

Its got new fenders, bumpers, passenger side door...hope to weld in a rear quarter panel this summer

Now

DSCN6125.jpg

IMG_20110319_121556.jpg

Edited by unccpathfinder

Previous owner was a dealer,

but failed to address the minor leak coming for the passenger valve gasket (finally became a big leak and now im fixing that when the parts finally come in)

Also promised to turn my check engine light off, and they did (not that impressive).

Also, since my speedo worked, they said (Oh yeah, well get it fixed) four, 35 each way trips, replacing practically every speed sensor on this thing, and as i approach my 3 year anniversary, the stupid speedo, still doesn't work right.

More of a rant that, but still, frustrating as all get out when you practically have to punch your instrument cluster just to get it to work as it should. lol

-Kyle

I had the same thing done as another person. The po put smaller tires on my Pathfinder. My mileage is way off of what it should be. I really don't care that much. Gonna drive it til it dies.