fuel mileage

ahardb0dy

Finally had a chance to calculate my MPG, filled the truck Saturday ($64!!) but did not want to wait until it was near empty again so I drove 50.1 miles and filled it again, same station same pump, truck took 3.078 gallons, this was just around town mileage with aprox 10 minutes of engine running and not driving, numbers work out to 16.2 MPG. I know it's not totally accurate but it's an approximation. Still not too bad I guess.

Yeah I actually track the mileage on our cars through and app on my phone and backed up on a spreadsheet. You'll probably want to get a little more data going for a better picture. Its a good thing to track with each fill-up because a drop in fuel economy from your normal trend is a good indication of either maintence needed or a need of a repair coming real soon.

I keep track of the MPG for my sentra, have been doing it since I bought it, have filled it up 454 times so far!! I also keep track of the gas prices, but the PF I never fill it up because it's so expensive, just wanted to do what I did to get an idea.

I use Gas Cubby for iPhone.

A GREAT free app that also keeps track of oil changes! :D

Though if you're on Android, i HIGHLY recommend aCar. Free/Paid, You get TONS of options on paid. it's a really amazing app.

Edited by NissanNismoZ

I've been tracking mine now for a little over three months. I average a little over 18 in the city and got 21.8 on the highway during my last trip.

My main reason for doing this is to see if headers/etc on this truck actually improve gas mileage at all. (They did on my Sentra).

I get just over 18MPG in mine. I did the conversion for ya, 500kms on 65L is what I see. Mixed hwy and city.

Apparently its an 80L tank, took her as low as 70L once.

No fuel light, fuel gauge showed needle well below bottom of E line and 552kms on the odd.

My conclusion is the fuel light does not work or is burnt out, and sending unit in tank in off a bit for main gauge.

I have read on this forum that the light should come on with 5 gallons left in the tank, in a 20 gallon tank, thats at a quarter, seems odd to me.

So I had just over 2 gallons left in the tank and no light, didnt push her any further, didnt feel the need to suck the sludge into the filter.

Anyone not have the light come on until less than 2 gallons left in the tank?

Sorry re-read the previous gas light thread and the 5 gallons left was incorrect.....saw 2-3 gallons in there thow..

Edited by Maroon95SE

Wow, I'm doing pretty good I guess. I'm getting a solid 21 mpg. 4 tanks down since I bought Sarge and everyone has been over 20 mpg.

I know that something being wrong can kill the gas mileage, can it work the other way? haha. I think my commute just lets the truck run in a real sweet spot. Only explanation I can think of.

Wow, I'm doing pretty good I guess. I'm getting a solid 21 mpg. 4 tanks down since I bought Sarge and everyone has been over 20 mpg.

I know that something being wrong can kill the gas mileage, can it work the other way? haha. I think my commute just lets the truck run in a real sweet spot. Only explanation I can think of.

What speed and rpm are you driving during your commute?

My commute is on a 4 lane road for about 11 miles each way where I cruise between 45 & 50 most of the way but it has lights all along it and I maybe end up stopping and starting about 3 times on average in that 11 miles.

I also have a 5 speed and drive it effeciently so that probably helps. If I notice the light a 1/8 mile up the road is red, I pop it in neutral and coast there instead of slamming on the brakes at the last minute.

Drive it easier? Take off the 33" mud tires and run stock size when not wheeling? Fix exhaust leaks and bad sensors? Make sure the timing is good?

With my new to me '94 I'm averaged 21mpg on the way back from florida. Around town it's been getting 16ish. This one seems to have a lot more power too.

Edited by adamzan

when i had 31's on i averaged 13.2 mpg thats also pulling a 2 miles long 10% grade (i believe) everyday. I was getting 225 miles per tank and that was when the needle was even with the E line. i put stock size all seasons on last week have 210 miles on this tank and have little less then 1/4 tank left.

*edit* just went 285 on this tank and got 17.4 mpg. It was a $65 fill up! Just a couple months ago it was hardly over 40 wtf!

Edited by hillbillybob

has anyone had any trouble with fuel sender in tank as my fuel gauge drops dramaticly and rises again most of the time it drops a quarter of a tank

has anyone had any trouble with fuel sender in tank as my fuel gauge drops dramaticly and rises again most of the time it drops a quarter of a tank

I had to replace mine and it seems to be a common problem. The fuel sending unit is attached to the top of the fuel pump and can be found by removing the carpet in the rear trunk area. I would take a quick look at it and see what kind of dirt has accumulated. Since yours is fluctuating you might just need to clean it up and see if that does anything. Cheers

• Like 1

thanks for the help with the sender , but aussies get ripped of the most for fuel it costs $1.55 for one litre over here so it cost me $100 bucks to fill mine up it sucks