price on replacing timing belt

ahardb0dy

Today I got a chance to meet one of our newer members that just moved close by to me down here in Orlando (Lucidpathy91), nice guy, we went to one of the local junkyards and just looked around, talked a lot,etc. He was saying he wants to replace his timing belt,water pump and thermostat, I told him I would help him if he wants to do it himself but I would ask my mechanic that I use for any big job that I won't do myself for a price. My guy told me $200 to replace the 3 items listed with Lucid providing the parts. I know most people here would say do it yourself but just wanted opinions on the price. Thanks

My guy is funny, I was telling him that Lucid may do this himself and he was like tell him to do it, my buddy works on cars on the side, works full time for Disney, he rents 2 bays, has a lift all the tools and equipment he would ever need to do anything, he works on all makes, is in the process of re-doing a older corvette,now has a helper working with him and still hates working on other peoples cars !! LOL but he is good and quick, if I brought my truck to him to have this done today it would be done tomorrow, most of the time if he has to work on an area that gets hot he will have me drop off the car/truck in the morning and have it done that same night or the very next day. And as I posted he is reasonable. He charged me $80 to swap the 4 speed tranny for a 5 speed in my sentra and that price included replacing the clutch cable!

So come on down I'll hook you up, oh, and I don't make any commission for referring people !! LOL

He has done a lot of work for me and I refer a lot of people to him so he takes care of me, plus I help when he works on my cars when I can. And the biggest thing I know he likes about me is when the job is done I pay him and usually give him a tip. Yesterday while I was there his wife was telling him about someone that needs something fixed but has no money, he was like and that's my problem how?? LOL

• 2 weeks later...

Today I got a chance to meet one of our newer members that just moved close by to me down here in Orlando (Lucidpathy91), nice guy, we went to one of the local junkyards and just looked around, talked a lot,etc. He was saying he wants to replace his timing belt,water pump and thermostat, I told him I would help him if he wants to do it himself but I would ask my mechanic that I use for any big job that I won't do myself for a price. My guy told me $200 to replace the 3 items listed with Lucid providing the parts. I know most people here would say do it yourself but just wanted opinions on the price. Thanks

that is a fair price for a shop, granted book time may be 3.5 to 4.5 hrs at the shop rate, which in your area is probably 90-100 bucks an hour. The mechanic would probably only make 16-22.00 bucks per flat rate, meaning he would only get 80-100 dollars in his pocket. The job could be done in 1-2 hours by a tech with experience with it.

I just did my Wagon last month and it went fairly easy.

FYI when buying a timing belt always replace the tensioner and use a belt that has the alignment marks ( or mark the old belt and record the teeth in between to make sure the new one goes on correctly( the gears and the rear timing belt cover have markings but they are for general alignment in assembly, if the marks are lined up-gear marks to cover marks, the timing will be one tooth off)

I also got quoted $900.00 from the dealership in Grande Prairie Alberta when I lived there. For 200 bucks I would have paid for it to get done instead of having to bother with it. So long as he's reputable and will stand by his work.

• 1 month later...

With all the things you take apart inside your truck and your sentra you pay someone to change your timing belt? :blink: I don't blink an eye when it comes to taking apart the engine but I won't take apart my A/C switch until it doesn't work at all!

James

Anyone know anybody in the Seattle area that could replace a coolant bypass hose? How much should I expect to pay?

That coolant bypass Hose is a Bear to get at. Basically have to tear it down in the same way that you do when you do the timing belt. While you got all that crap off and out you should do the timing belt, waterpump, cam and crank seals at the same time otherwise it will end up costing you more in the end. If you haven't done the timing belt yet then I would just get quotes for the timing belt, and then add the bypass hose cause the price is going to be similar anyway since there will be a fair deal of labor involved.

Unless someone else knows of some miraculous trick of replacing the bypass hose without tearing things down. I'd love to hear of one if there is.

Edited by Dowser

With all the things you take apart inside your truck and your sentra you pay someone to change your timing belt? :blink: I don't blink an eye when it comes to taking apart the engine but I won't take apart my A/C switch until it doesn't work at all!

James

I wasn't asking for myself, I got a price for Lucidpath and wanted to ask what you all thought of the price estimate. Bad thing is lucid's PF was rear ended recently and his insurance totaled it!!

Yeah replacing the dash in the sentra was one of my biggest jobs, the AC switch in the PF was interesting, I think the hardest and biggest job in any vehicle I did was to replace the knock sensors in the Q45 we used to own, cracking the last runner on the intake plenum and having to spend $100 for a new used one didn't help either!! but boy did it run after that !! I want another one now!!

that is a fair price for a shop, granted book time may be 3.5 to 4.5 hrs at the shop rate, which in your area is probably 90-100 bucks an hour. The mechanic would probably only make 16-22.00 bucks per flat rate, meaning he would only get 80-100 dollars in his pocket. The job could be done in 1-2 hours by a tech with experience with it.

I just did my Wagon last month and it went fairly easy.

FYI when buying a timing belt always replace the tensioner and use a belt that has the alignment marks ( or mark the old belt and record the teeth in between to make sure the new one goes on correctly( the gears and the rear timing belt cover have markings but they are for general alignment in assembly, if the marks are lined up-gear marks to cover marks, the timing will be one tooth off)

my guy works for himself, not a regular "shop" he just rents 2 bays and does mechanic work on the side, he works full time for Disney.

$200 for a timing belt is pretty cheap...i wouldn't do it for under $400 if htey supplied parts esp if its on a MPFI VG...I did timing belt,valve covers, t stat,spark plugs, valve cover gaskets and cam seals on the gf's pathy which took about 6 or 7 hours...i'd at least get $35/hr if i was doing the work myself but i did have 2 people helping off and on (the gf and my buddy whose house i was doing it at so say 2 people for 6 hrs (12 hrs) so that would a been about $400...i'm trying to think of the app that i looked it all up on and i think the timing belt was called out as a $700 job...

keep in mind they need to be experienced b/c if they screw it up you're out of $200 and possibly an engine...

"keep in mind they need to be experienced b/c if they screw it up you're out of $200 and possibly an engine..."

that's a good statement, I would never just go to the "lowest" price shop because the price is the lowest, luckily for me the guy I use for big jobs knows what he is doing and he is quick, I've never found anything wrong with anything he has done on my vehicles.

the estimate to do the timing belt was for someone I knew, he probably would have done it for me for even less, hell he swapped the tranny in my sentra & replaced the clutch cable for $80, his wife even told me that was the least amount he's ever charged anyone, so I gave them $100, I always try to give him a tip or assist him in anyway I can to make his job easier. I also pay on time, unlike some people he deals with. He was bitching about this guy last time I was there, his wife was telling him about some guy that needed work done but had no money he was like" and this is my problem how?? LOL

This reminds me of nismojunky's mechanic, great guy, he did my tension rods for 80 bucks including all the welding, drilling and installing the new parts. Plus he let us use his shop to mount my arb.

the bypass hose took me like 30 min to do i have done 2 of them u just need an xtra long pair of needle nose pliers

Are we talking about the same hose? The little small 90 degree hose that sits between the cam gears, on the back side of the timing cover, to the left of and below the distributor? With all that crap in the way I don't see how you could get to the bottom hose clamp or to even break the old hose free effectively. Perhaps it can be done as I've never tried it and I'd be VERY impressed if all you need is a pair of Long extension needle nose pliers. Good luck with that. I'd be swearing a constant stream of obscenities Trying to do it that method I think. Definitely try that method first for sure.

Edited by Dowser