driving thru deep water

bandit727

lol, if you unclip it (so that the top is somewhat open), then you will give water another way to get in.

If you go through water that deep, it is better to "look gay" with a snorkel then "look stupid" sitting in the middle of a trail with a hydro-locked engine.

Snorkels can look good depending on your setup.

Yeah, snorkels must be pretty gay. :rolleyes:

I suppose ARB must epitomize homosexuality in your eyes with all their "gay" builds.

Have fun hydro-locking your truck.

Dont listion to this gooned out mf-er,unsnap your air filter box and hit the deep puddles...Dont forget to post your truck up here for cheap after words.

Ever seen a shopvac or vacuum cleaner suck up water? Your engine creates more sucking force than either of those so if water gets in the air box at all, it's going in the engine.

So if you plan on going into water deeper than your hood line, which I don't understand why.... You'll need a snorkel. :gay:

i have a home made snorkel. And i don't have any problem with deep water (except the under surface obstacles). Even with the stock airbox in the fender i always used to end up with a dead engine. I was just lucky not to destroy my engine. But i ruined the filter every time and had to hose out the box. So thanks for sayin snorkel's are gay, just don't ask me to turn around cause your dead in the water. Pun intended.

extremely! :new576:

i'm gonna be redoing mine like yours when i get a new fender, but i am tryin to figure a way to get it decent flow of air. dead ending it above the tires wont work in my case, since i don't have splash guards, they were destroyed by my 33s :thumbsdown:

Edited by skulptr

is it a good idea to unclip my airfilter box when going thru really deep water. so water cant get sucked up? or is there a special valve for that. snorkels look gay

dont u guys know the air pick up tube is about a foot lower than the air filter box. its a nissan ram air system. right in front of the drivers side tire. drive around the city with ur kn air filter on top of ur roof. im not that hick

Alright everyone, lets ease up on the comments about what something is or is not and just focus on the real topic on hand.

Everyone is entitled to their opinion, but lets keep it civil and clean as some comments are best left on said on our forum.

Thanks. :aok:

ill have to agree with scott on this one.

even though i personally like snorkals and theyre capability. but not everyone HAS to like or NEEDS to like em.

but im not running around tellin people off about why they should like or shouldnt like them. ;)

judge.gif

Snorkels are not the real subject here, lets move on and respond to the question at hand

is it a good idea to unclip my airfilter box when going thru really deep water. so water cant get sucked up? or is there a special valve for that.

Dont listion to this gooned out mf-er,unsnap your air filter box and hit the deep puddles...Dont forget to post your truck up here for cheap after words.

No, he should listen to me because unsnapping your air box and going through paddles is going to lead to disaster. :togo:

So Is mine gay? You can't see it, does that just mean It hasn't come outa the closet yet?

:rofl:

dont u guys know the air pick up tube is about a foot lower than the air filter box. its a nissan ram air system. right in front of the drivers side tire. drive around the city with ur kn air filter on top of ur roof. im not that hick

How's a snorkel hick? I don't get your logic, bud. :scratchhead:

This topic has been very entertaining, and that last video was great :tongue: those Russians are Crazy!

I too think snorkels are stupid (gay if you will) but I live in the desert and haven't done a water crossing in... Ever! If there was water here I probably would get one.

If you don't like the look of a snorkel you can always just route your air filter right into the cabin, its the best of both worlds! It wont be noisy at all, and you could make it into a stylish place to rest your arm while you drive :jig:

Edited by DanAK

is it a good idea to unclip my airfilter box when going thru really deep water.

no.

so water cant get sucked up?

no, water will get sucked in.

or is there a special valve for that.

no.

snorkels look gay

don't get one then. figure something else out that won't suck water into your engine, but you'll be hard pressed to think of a less gay option.

If you are going through water any deeper than the hood of the truck there is little to nothing better than a snorkel. Even if you are quickly going through water that deep there is always a chance of getting water into the engine. Lots of guys have hydro-locked an engine driving only 1-2 seconds through water.

Maybe put together a temporary snorkel so that you can remove it when not needed?

XSrcing thats a pretty good vid, but this is what you need a snorkel for Someone needs to make a submarine pathy. Like this

Sorry Red, I had to. :)

Got a bigger sub ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ICKLGYs8CE8

And no, I am not trying that with my deuces ;)

The air pick up tube is not a foot lower than the air filter box, unless you or a previous owner removed part of the intake system. The air filter box in the engine bay opens into a secondary resonating chamber below it, in front of the wheel well. The resonating chamber has a tube extending behind it inside the fender, above the wheel well. So, main air intake is actually about the same height as the air filter box. Note, however, that the resonating chamber in front of the wheel well is not completely sealed, so it is possible for water to enter during especially long water crossings.

done it, when my airbox got smashed up, i found several inches of earth inside of it that had settled on the bottom

maybe trucks are a bit different, but i've seen many cars get hydrolocked without even driving through hood-level water for extended periods of time. i've seen a Z attempt to go up a driveway that he wasn't familiar with. there was water that flooded the gutter some, but i guess there was a lot more water or a ditch that he obviously wasn't aware of. the bumper got submerged enough to cover half of the POP charger, and as soon as it did. the engine shut off and locked. there was maybe a millisecond of time between the time the POP charger got submerged in water and when the engine locked. i've seen that happen many times on several different sports cars. again, maybe trucks are designed a bit differently, but if they're not well....

Damn, Dean beat me to it, in all fairness he probably said it better than I could anyhow. As someone who has had gone through water crossing that wasn't as high or higher than my hood & destroyed my engine because of it (see the sig pic).

You can always route it though your glove box, this is something I've thought of. But alas I have conceded to functionality over looks with the snorkel, sorry. I want a wheeler thats capable not a driveway/poser queen...

The air pick up tube is not a foot lower than the air filter box, unless you or a previous owner removed part of the intake system. The air filter box in the engine bay opens into a secondary resonating chamber below it, in front of the wheel well. The resonating chamber has a tube extending behind it inside the fender, above the wheel well. So, main air intake is actually about the same height as the air filter box. Note, however, that the resonating chamber in front of the wheel well is not completely sealed, so it is possible for water to enter during especially long water crossings.

ok thats helps. thanx. xplorx4 only info that was worth reading so far

As an added piece of advice, when crossing deep water, drive just fast enough to maintain forward momentum, and allow a bow wake to form. The wake will actually cause the water level right behind the bumper to be much lower (6-8") than the static water level. Problems arise when driving too quickly through deep water. A snorkel is not essential when crossing deep water, but it offers good peace of mind knowing that there's no chance to hydrolock if the water is just a bit deeper than you expected.

My Pathy has an open-element air filter (POP charger) in place of the stock air filter box, so it will absolutely ingest water if I am unwise when crossing.

This is the deepest water I have crossed. You will note that I'm not driving very fast through it. In fact, on a previous trip when the water level was a little higher, I decided to drive backwards across the creek. If the water level looks like it will go above the hood, then unfortunately, I'd have no choice but to turn around.

img_0483.jpg

In this photo, I'm probably driving just a little faster than I should be:

IMG_8095.jpg

Ironically, this pic shows the result of driving TOO SLOWLY through the water. There was too much backpressure on the submerged exhaust, and the engine stalled. Because of the backpressure, I was not able to restart the engine and needed a tow.

IMG_5261.jpg

Edited by XPLORx4