Tread Lightly

MAXEDpath

i support the idea, but at the same time i think i kinda depends where you live. the bush around here is so thick, taking out a few trees isnt a big deal. I dont leave garbage or parts on the trail, thats my treading lightly. we need more trails around here anyway. *starts chainsaw*

i support the idea, but at the same time i think i kinda depends where you live. the bush around here is so thick, taking out a few trees isnt a big deal. I dont leave garbage or parts on the trail, thats my treading lightly. we need more trails around here anyway. *starts chainsaw*

I don't think you're getting the whole concept of tread lightly. It's not just about hacking up trees and making trails and issues of that nature, it has a lot to do with the fact that there are a lot of diverse ecosystems that may be established and are only in that specific area of the world. Running a 4x4 thru them doesn't really do it a lot of good. That is the whole reason the Tread Lightly approach was even initiated really. From an environmental stand point, That was the main issue with ALL sports in an outside environment. They've adapted the same kind of tread lightly approach to many sports from Mountain biking, Rock Climbing, Hiking, etc, since many of these sports, like us, are suffering from closures of great places.

And Obviously yes I support the Tread Lightly concept. I think Personally it should be a no brainer for anyone that it's critical for not only our sports Future but for all outdoor sports. Not only that, but since we may not know the full benefit of some of these ecosystems that could be destroyed, (remember that our medical system is based on plant/fungi species for treatment of our ailments) We could be destroying a system that could hold remedies and cures to things that we have not discovered cures for yet. Once gone, they could forever be out of our grasp.

perhaps I should have just said. x3.

I don't think you're getting the whole concept of tread lightly. It's not just about hacking up trees and making trails and issues of that nature, it has a lot to do with the fact that there are a lot of diverse ecosystems that may be established and are only in that specific area of the world. Running a 4x4 thru them doesn't really do it a lot of good. That is the whole reason the Tread Lightly approach was even initiated really. From an environmental stand point, That was the main issue with ALL sports in an outside environment. They've adapted the same kind of tread lightly approach to many sports from Mountain biking, Rock Climbing, Hiking, etc, since many of these sports, like us, are suffering from closures of great places.

And Obviously yes I support the Tread Lightly concept. I think Personally it should be a no brainer for anyone that it's critical for not only our sports Future but for all outdoor sports. Not only that, but since we may not know the full benefit of some of these ecosystems that could be destroyed, (remember that our medical system is based on plant/fungi species for treatment of our ailments) We could be destroying a system that could hold remedies and cures to things that we have not discovered cures for yet. Once gone, they could forever be out of our grasp.

Well said.

x4

Yes it started out as this,now its pretty much a tree huger stand by,they see ruts in a sand pile they get chubbys thinking about how there going to close a trail net work down.

you guys who question the tread lightly may want to consider going to some of your regional meetings with some of the clubs that are working to keep our ORV parks open.

they are all being CLOSED because of dip @!*% idiots.

they are now implementing wheel base and width restrictions.

I cannot wheel at evans creek anymore. 72" outside of tire to outside of tire.

rattlesnake trail in naches 75" width, 95" wheelbase

and by next spring, all of naches (and associated areas )will have a 75" wheel base restriction.(with leght as well.)

I'm so tired of my wheeling areas getting closed down (they are getting closed because of idiots that don't care or tread lightly, but instead of patroling the area, they are cutting down traffic with these restrictions)

If i see any one of you purposely going off trail, or damaging the area,

I will take a picture of YOU, YOUR VECHICLE, YOUR LICENCE PLATE,

and i'll send it to the authorities.

http://orvtrailwatch.org/

• Like 1

Make sure you get my good side,

This is just a Bull@!*% thing thats not worth replying too,there is a diffrence between on trail riding and off trail riding.The reason the stuff is being closed down is 90 percent of the time pinko *** tree hungers saying that even the trails are ruining the land for the animals.Which they have NO proof of because the crust of the earth changes every day on its own.Kinda like the oil spill,big frigging deal,the earth has been pissing it out for millions of years,is a little more gonna hurt it.

Edited by nismothunder

Make sure you get my good side,

This is just a Bull@!*% thing thats not worth replying too,there is a diffrence between on trail riding and off trail riding.The reason the stuff is being closed down is 90 percent of the time pinko *** tree hungers saying that even the trails are ruining the land for the animals.Which they have NO proof of because the crust of the earth changes every day on its own.Kinda like the oil spill,big frigging deal,the earth has been pissing it out for millions of years,is a little more gonna hurt it.

your right.. no argument from me.

there is a difference between on trail and off trail riding.. one is legal the other is not.

but if all it takes is for people to stay on the trail, be responsilbe, and tread lightly.. to keep our trails open.. then i'm all for it.

How many people on this board have been to a work party?

i have about 40 hours of volunteer time in this year alone, and more last year.

Edited by 87pathy

Slash and burn!!! Rape!!! Pillage!! Rape!!

B

Hide your livestock!

I support commen sence, even if it seems I generally lack it to some people here...

to me tread lightly is basicly common sence with written rules(not in the mood to get in depth, just being general. Don't get uptight)

I support it 100%, here in Western Australia I have 3 trails that are still open within 2 hours of my place, I live in the coast, yet I have to drive an hour north or an hour south to be able to wheel on the beach. They are being shut down because people just dont care, they figure they have a 4wd, they can go where they want and do what they want, ruining it for everyone else who play by the rules.

• Like 1

Ya and what I'm getting at is now a day when I go out I see people just throwing there trash out the window when the driving, going and ripping threw areas makin new trails even if the area is posted with LARGE no trespassing signs with fences and much much more..... which are getting areas closed like MAD out here. I do agree with yall about there is a difference between trail and off trail (good point). And the whole "Common Sense" riding is very good point to but there is one large problem with that and that is common sense is not common what so ever anymore. And I do hate how when one Dumb @$$ goes out and ruins it ALL for everyone even if those people are trying to conserve and take care of the area......

I totally respect the wetland areas, i dont destroy sensitive marsh land or anything. i dont like getting stuck up to my doors anyway. What you gotta realize is where i live, there are no off-road parks, official 4x4 trails or anything like that. most of the trails here are all dirt, gravel, and big rocks, (the Canadian Shield) flat rocks big enough that you can park a vehicle on top, there is not much damage you can do to that.

Edited by slade420

Yes.

Why do you ask?

well like I just said with all the closure and restrictions out here and plus I have seen a couple of videos posted that show the "Intelligence" of quiet a large group of America

??? What are you referring to?

This really only pertains to the states,

In canada you don't have public ORV parks.

Down here, we have work parties to clean, maintain, and repair severly damaged trails.

90% of this is done by volunteers.

I'd like to know how many of our US (more specifially Washington or NW) have attended work parties to keep our decreasing ORV parks open.

Cause when there are no more volunteers, we will have no more ORV parks (public)

Ah okay, I figured it was something like that.

In Ontario we have the OF4WD (Ontario Federation of 4WD Enthusiasts), and they're the crew fighting to keep trails open, and working with the Ministry of National Resources, and other clubs like the ATV'ers and Snomobilers to share and maintain trails.

We don't have parks here, so we share our trails (which are on Crown Land) with the snowmobile association.

Anyway, I have spent a few days out cleaning and clearing trails. Because we are not in a park, our trails are often very close to people's cottages and homes. We have to make an attempt to keep the sport as a positive thing in the public eye... all it takes is enough locals to be fed up with trucks ripping up their access roads, driving around like idiots, littering and drinking to get a trail or the access to a trail closed. We almost lost access to one of my favourite trails because someone caught a bunch of idiots driving around IN the lake on camera.

I haven't attended a work party yet because I usually work on days that they occur, but when I do go trailing, if I see beer cans etc, I will pick them up and toss them in the back of the truck to throw away later.

Slash and burn!!! Rape!!! Pillage!! Rape!!

B

You said rape twice? :scratchhead:

Yes it started out as this,now its pretty much a tree huger stand by,they see ruts in a sand pile they get chubbys thinking about how there going to close a trail net work down.

You are way off on that. Tread Lightly isn't tree hugers protesting trails, it is a trail riders group trying to keep trails open by being minimum impact. Tread Lightly advocates to keep trails open. The Rubicon would have been closed a long time ago if the people using it hadn't adopted the Tread Lightly concept. It is also a way to wheel, not throwing trash out the window, cleaning up your spilled fluids or broken parts, not "trail blazing", etc. It's a respect thing. Basically adapting the Tread Lightly mentality will help keep trails open, since the "haters" will see less of what they hate about the trails, and won't have a complaint to raise. On private property/ private wheeling parks I don't tread quite as lightly, don't mind running down a tree if it isn't marked in some way if I have to, but I'll still not litter or leave a big slick of oil laying there if I get a leak.

And being in an area where everything is in parks or federal land when were person goes out and does something stupid the "tree huggers" waist no time to try and close down everything they can. So when we go out we pick up trash and clean up as much as we can. With the work parties we go as much as we can even if there is only small groups of people to try rebuild and clean up areas to keep them open and give use to THE PUBLIC!! :sly: