What other projects do you have?

Extreme90path

Picked up this beauty a few weeks ago. Still haven't had a chance to do anything to it yet, but she will clean up good.

Is fully loaded with the 3.0L engine, 4x4 (naturally), electric windows and doors, sunroof, etc

DSC03916.jpg

DSC03917.jpg

DSC03920.jpg

Going to fix the body and repaint it the original color. Then do some upgrades to make it more trail ready.

Came with some nice extra tires.

DSC03929.jpg

Even came with the original manual and warranty book with the name/address of the original owner back in 88 ;)

DSC03936.jpg

I've got an 86 BMW 325e that I've been working on. Found it out in a field, body is pretty straight besides one fender. Picked it up for $500, non-running, though it could technically run. I wasn't interested in it for its engine though. I had a 2001 BMW 330ci for a few years, and because BMW designed the rear subframe mounts poorly(class action settlement is supposed to cover them), mine ripped out, BMW said no-go, I got tired of fighting with them, ripped out the motor and trans, and started gutting the 325e. The 330's engine is a 225hp 3.0l in it's current form, 10.2:1 compression I believe. I'm going to be rebuilding the 3.0, either using lower compression pistons or a thicker head gasket, and I'm going to be turboing it. The engine is currently at my mechanic's, had to use an oil pan from a early 90s 525i because of the location of the front subframe on the 86, so my mechanic is making a custom oil pickup tube to work with the new oil pan. I'll be running a modified Garret GT30R turbo(seen here, goal will be 400rwhp out of the old 86. I'll be running the engine on an OBD1 ECU, and having it tuned locally for the turbo.

The 86 turned out to be more of a deal than I expected as well, because it has the Getrag 260 transmission that makes for the best swap transmission(and the trans was behind a motor that couldn't go over 5000rpm, so it's got 143k on it, but with only 120hp and low torque it should have minimal wear) so I don't have to use the high mileage ZF transmission from my 330. The car also came with a limited slip rear diff, instead of open diff, meaning I saved some 300-400 depending on gearing. I'll be rebuilding the diff with a different gearset, as it's only 2.93:1, I'll probably be going 3.25 or 3.46. Some pics of the carnage:

0a7a78df.jpg

The 86 in the field I found it in

e3f3b12f.jpg

Under hood, don't need that paperweight!

d1b649af.jpg

This is the hole where the rear subframe mount on my 330 used to be... That hole is 8" wide, and about 5-6k to repair the damage properly, which is almost the value of the car.

b92aa3e3.jpg

Engine out of the 86

ab9a1268.jpg

Engine out of the 01

4a5f7c1a.jpg

86 in its new home in the garage, which is also the home of my wood shop, I build guitars on the side.

Under the valvecover on the 01's engine:

36ad8813.jpg

bf42e49b.jpg

Looks brand new, hard to believe there's 150k on that engine, compared to the Pathfinder's 200k engine that's completely covered in brown oily residue.

Edited by Adam

Northernpathy you could turn that hardbody in to a PreRunner style truck with the long travel kind fiberglass fenders and stuff

Yup that is a good idea that I am looking at. They do still look good with a king-cab.

mybudweisernissanTTEDIT.jpg

I am also looking at doing something similar to this:

DSC00567.jpg

DSC00568.jpg

P1020795.jpg

Many things I could do with it. The truck is in great shape as it came from the west coast, so no frame rust. Last hardbody I picked up looked decent till I took the box off and found the back half of the frame completely rotten as well as both rear cab mounts rusted off.

Edited by Northernpathy

I've got an 86 BMW 325e that I've been working on. Found it out in a field, body is pretty straight besides one fender. Picked it up for $500, non-running, though it could technically run. I wasn't interested in it for its engine though. I had a 2001 BMW 330ci for a few years, and because BMW designed the rear subframe mounts poorly(class action settlement is supposed to cover them), mine ripped out, BMW said no-go, I got tired of fighting with them, ripped out the motor and trans, and started gutting the 325e. The 330's engine is a 225hp 3.0l in it's current form, 10.2:1 compression I believe. I'm going to be rebuilding the 3.0, either using lower compression pistons or a thicker head gasket, and I'm going to be turboing it. The engine is currently at my mechanic's, had to use an oil pan from a early 90s 525i because of the location of the front subframe on the 86, so my mechanic is making a custom oil pickup tube to work with the new oil pan. I'll be running a modified Garret GT30R turbo(seen here, goal will be 400rwhp out of the old 86. I'll be running the engine on an OBD1 ECU, and having it tuned locally for the turbo.

The 86 turned out to be more of a deal than I expected as well, because it has the Getrag 260 transmission that makes for the best swap transmission(and the trans was behind a motor that couldn't go over 5000rpm, so it's got 143k on it, but with only 120hp and low torque it should have minimal wear) so I don't have to use the high mileage ZF transmission from my 330. The car also came with a limited slip rear diff, instead of open diff, meaning I saved some 300-400 depending on gearing. I'll be rebuilding the diff with a different gearset, as it's only 2.93:1, I'll probably be going 3.25 or 3.46. Some pics of the carnage:

0a7a78df.jpg

The 86 in the field I found it in

Under hood, don't need that paperweight!

This is the hole where the rear subframe mount on my 330 used to be... That hole is 8" wide, and about 5-6k to repair the damage properly, which is almost the value of the car.

Engine out of the 86

Engine out of the 01

86 in its new home in the garage, which is also the home of my wood shop, I build guitars on the side.

Under the valvecover on the 01's engine:

Looks brand new, hard to believe there's 150k on that engine, compared to the Pathfinder's 200k engine that's completely covered in brown oily residue.

BMW designs their engines pretty well.... Looks like a fun project! Is that your Suburban in the background? Looks really nice. Lol sorry, I have a thing for older Suburbans since I grew up with one and learned how to drive in it. Still miss that old boat.

Edited by Kingman

• 2 weeks later...

Welp, just picked this up for 400 bucks ... as if I needed another project aside from the Audi and the Pathfinder :takebow:

The Jetta now be doing DD duties instead of the Pathfinder for a long time!

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

Didn't run when I picked it up. Got that all sorted out and now I am sporting 35mpgs of 8v goodness!

I just started to rebuild my HybridZ,74 260Z, 383 sbc. Putting a R200 with a OBX in, all new bushings thru out. Next it's thru the motor and a 700R4. It's endless, but damn it's fun.

Welp, just picked this up for 400 bucks ... as if I needed another project aside from the Audi and the Pathfinder :takebow:

The Jetta now be doing DD duties instead of the Pathfinder for a long time!

DSC00803.jpg

DSC00801.jpg

Didn't run when I picked it up. Got that all sorted out and now I am sporting 35mpgs of 8v goodness!

My friend has one of those it looks nice but man its more gutless than the pathfinder is.

Just picked it up and drove it home saturday 125 miles.I have $650 in it.

1985 BMW 635 CSi "the shark"

car actually was owned or 24 years to MAJ in USMC that lived 12 miles from me.Now it is back home

pass100.jpg

Those 6s were the best cars ever made by BMW in my opinion.

• Like 1

Those 6s were the best cars ever made by BMW in my opinion.

I think so also,one of the best body lined car ever made.

Came with full power Recaro memory seats and among other things.

Owner even left his am/fm/cd player with Infinity amp in trunk.lol

now to get her running correctly again

Lately Ive been working on my Spyder

003.jpg

Originally it came with a 4.3 merc but when I received it, it was empty so I decided to get a 260 Mercruiser(350) with an alpha 1 unit, since in USCG rules I/O boats don't have power restrictions. Anyway been tearing the 350 down and I found 7 gallons of Dijon mustard :thumbsdown:

P1000494.jpg

Which unfortunatly made me start looking for a crack and I found it....

The gray line near the top is the crack, there is also a large bulge to the right of the numbers

P1000502.jpg

Thankfully chevy 350 blocks are dime a dozen.

Edited by SilverPath

• 8 months later...

Well heres my new project! I now have 2 zs!

IMG_20101101_155355.jpg

you can see the old z in the back

IMG_20101101_155447.jpg

How shortly after i bought it

IMG_20101101_155612.jpg

Now

IMG_20110521_194655.jpg

IMG_20110521_194733.jpg

Replaced all the suspension with poly and solid mounts where I could, new tires, new tie rod, new ball joints, new wheel bearings, body kit(not pictured), hids, fixed all the lights, 3 gauge pod, aem wide band, e85, Garrett gt35r turbo, installed interior, nistune, short shifter, strut bars f+r, turbo blanket, ss headers, vg33e, 3" ss exhaust, z32 calipers, ss brake and clutch lines, eliminated all emissions ac and ps, 680cc injectors,maxima intake, zr3 lowering springs coming, manualzed steering rack, lsd diff,bosch 044 pump, in bay fuel gauge, efan, intercooler, 15-20psi boost, underdive pulley, maxima alternator, custom alt pulley.

Edited by edicer2

Damn sexy spider Silverpath. Any up dates?

Sadly no, Finances tanked not long after I took possession. Its been under a tarp for awhile. Thankfully if I need to sell it off I don't have much in it.

This is mine:

1959 Simca Aronde P60 Elysée

fotografia0095.jpg

fotografia0096.jpg

Had all body done, rust free and new paint. Still missing the side trims, the blings.

Now for a fews mechanical things... everything in a very slow motion.

This is mine:

1959 Simca Aronde P60 Elysée

fotografia0095.jpg

fotografia0096.jpg

Had all body done, rust free and new paint. Still missing the side trims, the blings.

Now for a fews mechanical things... everything in a very slow motion.

drool.gif Awwww damn ... I love the old rides. That. Is. Nice.