Is this bad mileage?

WyKi

Well... this is my quick question.. My farthest travel during the week is of 16.9 mi of distance. now.. traveling that far, the PF would drink up around 1/2-3/4 of a quart of tank. is that bad mileage or around normal to you guys? Thanks.

If you travel 16.9 mi 5 days a week then yes it is normal gas mileage. Do a tune-up if you want slightly better numbers. You can always start with a fresh air filter. :)

Edited by Tungsten

I thought he was saying 16.5 miles per 1/4~1/2 which is not good...

So is it 16.5 miles your using that much gass?

or

82.5 miles (16.5x5) your using that much gas?

On the highway, you should be getting @ least 80 to 1/4 tank.

Lower speeds and stop and go anything less than 60 to 1/4 tank is definte cuase for investigation.

I ranged from 14-19 dding 60-80 miles aday in the warm months.And 12-16 in the cold,snowy months(with one horrible 9mpg trip,)You could use a tune up or it could just be normal for you trip,do you have a lot of stops?It could be that you gauge is off too,Mine would read half a tank but only take 7 gallons to fill up.Just boucing ideas but maybe look into a decent tune up if it hasnt had one in a while.

Agreed, anything less than 14-15 mpg or roughly 5-6km/liter normal (highway+city) driving and there is something that needs attention. I have gotten 8-9km/liter on trips in my first Pathy.

B

the PF would drink up around 1/2-3/4 of a quart of tank.

I don't think he means a whole tank. I think he means take a quarter of a tank, and he uses about 1/2-3/4 of that quarter tank of gas.

Agreed, anything less than 14-15 mpg or roughly 5-6km/liter normal (highway+city) driving and there is something that needs attention. I have gotten 8-9km/liter on trips in my first Pathy.

B

After lift and 33's i'm getting like 220 miles per tank. And that's like driving on the highway at around 65. is that about what your getting?

I got almost 19mpg on my trip last weekend, 320 miles, 17 gallons. That was mixed driving on highway and old country, hilly, curvy roads. Not to mention, I need a tune up and oil change along with having loose steering and carried a metal table and chair set for half the trip.

I dunno, will let you know when this tank is dry. I am at 140 miles and the tank is 1/4 full. I do not need a tune up, maybe an O2 sensor though...no CEL has ever thrown in my truck...

I was averaging around 16 before the lift and 33's, now...whew its really bad. But that is part of it.

sounds like its time to re-gear.

4.9 sound good to you?

I averaged around 14 in town and 20-23 on the highway with a TBI system.

It all depends on how you drive it, I think a lot of poor mileage in city is impatient drivers (me included) that don't like to lolly-gag when getting up to speed and we do struggle with that a bit...

My truck has 4.60's in it now, factory according to the stamped emblem on the passenger side fender. For best economy, IIRC 3.91's are ideal for the 33 inch tire. I am not lacking power by any means, it is just mileage.

I'm keeping track om my mileage and since I got the PF running I've filled the tank 4 times and am averaging 16.7 overall, Still have not replaced the O2 sensor so that may help slightly, everything else tune up related is new. I'm sure if it had decent tires the rolling resistance might help also, But I do drive 80 everywhere!! LOL

My truck has 4.60's in it now, factory according to the stamped emblem on the passenger side fender. For best economy, IIRC 3.91's are ideal for the 33 inch tire. I am not lacking power by any means, it is just mileage.

My not feel lacking but % of potential...

My buddy could get over 27mpg on long dirves with his camaro. 6th gear movin allong @ barely above idle. Using 1% of its pontetial power. Now a truck being 2x the weight 3x the wind resistance and same engine can only best about a 1/3rd of that because it needs more % to do the same job.

Also If you look @ that chart and look @ the green for stock tires sizes the actually Factoy ratio is still numerically higher than that (closer to the red). running 4.9 with 33's will also but you within range of nissans speedo gear selection for acurate speedometer correction.

Kingman if you were more relaxed then you could get like 18 in the city :lol:

I wish lol. Driving like a granny the best mileage I've ever gotten strictly city was 16. I still don't find that too terribly bad.

True, I guess I should not complain too much. I had to put a chunk of money into the XJ gears when we lifted and re-tired her. At least the Pathfinder has good gears from the get go...

I don't think he means a whole tank. I think he means take a quarter of a tank, and he uses about 1/2-3/4 of that quarter tank of gas.

Exactly....from one quart of tank it uses up around 1/2 to 3/4 of that quart of tank. Tune up huh? new sparks, air filter, oil needs changing too so..what else? tranny fluid looks nice and clean, anything else other than those 3 things?

Dunno about the gauge being off as I havent filled her all the way up to see with how much it'll fill up. But with the needle almost on the line of empty, and the fuel light not turning on, I put 10 dollars in it and it'll full up to right on top of the 1/4 tank line if not a little bit more. and 20 dollars will give me 1/2 a tank. Now I dont do granny driving either cuz I hate being in traffic.

Our fuel gauges read funny, Mine will read full when filled, but be at 3/4 tank 20 miles down the road, then slowly drop as I go and hold just over 1/4 tank for about 80 miles before dropping again. So, it is more for a reference than a specific/accurate gauge.

Fill up, note the amount of gallons filled, reset trip odometer, when you get to empty again fill up and see how much gallons it takes to fill and compare that to the trip odometer. I get around 19-20 mpg with variable driving using this calculation.

My '95 SE automatic (180, 000 km or 112,000 miles) with roof racks and 31" tires @ 35 psi is getting 11.2 l/100 km which is 21 MPG (US gallon) or 25 MPG (Imperial gallon) on the highway at 115 km/h or 70 mph. This was calculated after a 300 km (180 mile) trip. Recently tuned up with new plugs, filters (air and fuel), dizzy + rotor, oil change, trans fluid change, & external trans cooler). Running regular unleaded gazolene. Hope this helps.