Caturday Is Everyday

Precise1

Well guys it looks like I may be getting me a cat this weekend. A friend of my mom said she has a cat in her apartment complex that is a inside cat that has been put out and forgotten. I'm going to try and go see it and if things go well, I will be taking her to the vets for a checkup and making her a part of the family. If all goes well will post some pics.

James

I hope it works out for both of you. Please share...

People who just cast off pets piss me off to the Nth degree. Not only are they not equipped to fend for themselves, they counted on the people to shelter, feed and protect them, not to mention the emotional attachment. Anyone who just cuts that cord because it is convenient/inconvenient deserves some really bad karma, (or a day in B's pokey stick ball, being dragged by horses)

There is a reason my cat comes running (from outside) when I call. I treat him well and he is part of the family.

People that don't understand that, please, don't have pets!

B

• 2 weeks later...

Well I've officially joined Club Caturday. Was up at my shop one day working, started hearing the sound the little baby kittens make, like all the time, that crying mewling whine, I start looking around, where is that coming from? Well, I found it was coming from inside my yard amongst all the old equipment and boxes..two baby kittens! Posted Image so I take them to the vet, get em check out, vet girl says she wants to keep one, I say tell her great, it's hers, it wasn't doing so well. So now I've got the other one hanging out with me at work, it's our shop cat now, here's a pic of Danger (I think that's his name, I've been struggling trying to name him, and he's fearless, he's always in danger in my shop, cuz every time you turn around, he's right there under your feet or running here and there) and I on the fork lift. It feels weird to say I have a cat. Boss likes him too, he's so sweet, he just wants to be held and play and gnaw on fingers. Posted ImagePosted ImagePosted Image

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

No Mama around? No cat looking around, or a cat carcass anywhere? They look a bit young to be left alone...

Good for you for having them checked out and keeping one. Feed him well and try not to run him over, I know it can be hard when they dash everywhere, but use the horn and he should learn quick. Actually, maybe the best bet is to train him to stay on your shoulder or a piece of carpet on the forklift. Anyone who says you can't train a cat is an idiot...

What's strange about having a cat? I never understood that, it is just another animal that needs shelter, food and companionship. I think you might be surprised how much character and loyalty they can have. ;)

Congrats, he's a cute little bugger!

B

what's strange about having a cat.... well they sh*t in your house....however mine is a real peach...he comes when called, scrams when he's doing something he shouldn't and snuggles with the dog (after 2 years of practice) and yes is learning to sit just like the dog when I feed him . you can train a cat you just have to be more stubborn, or have a 10th degree will power bonus.

Well these were dropped in my lap,I didn't know what to do, so I gave it a week, no mama. I left them where I found them, but she never came, so I gradually increased my involvement. My boss thinks now that one of his aquaintence dropped them on us so he could get rid of them. What's strange about having a cat is, it was so out of the blue and now I have a whole other pet life occurring,I feel like I'm cheating on my Maltese Sasha at home, I don't think she knows yet I'm seeing another animal...

Sent from my SGH-T989 using Tapatalk

Ahh, I get it now, you are feeling guilty about your new fling... :D

I'm surprised she didn't smell him on you. Boy, that sounds strange... :unsure:

what's strange about having a cat.... well they sh*t in your house....

You are doing it wrong...

B

Are you effing kidding me? This is twisted and sick. I wish I could say that I almost don't see the novel attraction of stuffing your deceased cat and turning it into a drone...but then my brain and sense of reason, and the pain of loosing a loved pet snaps me back to reality. This guy (the pilot / video maker) has a wire loose, some disconnect in his brain. And then to go and show it off to people...wtf? I'm really sorry if you think this is funny or cute, no offense.

Edited by gv280z

We had to put my cat Satchmo down this week. He was 18, I'm 22, and he was about six months old when we got him from the shelter. We'd been together a long time. :( We knew it was coming, and I'm glad we were able to spare him the slow death, but it still hurts.

Good excuse to drink though...I did when I put my Rottweiler down. I went to the c-store and loaded up on a fat..six pack...and drank my tears away!

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not sure how I missed this thread before - I thought I'd read through everything. :scratchhead: Oh, well.

I know what it's like having to say goodbye to our furry family members. Our kitties have been:

- Hodge Podge (1989 - 1992) - got out and never came back

- Blondie (1990 - 1996) - had to put her done because of cancer

- Portnoy (1993 - 2008) - just old age

- Kliban (1996 - 2009) - complications from diabetes

A drink will only go so far to dull the heart ache... For us, at least, we need something else furry to fill the void.

So our current fluff butts are Persephone (my cat, the grey one in the tube) and Pandora (wife's cat, the black one photo bombing on the couch).

persephone3.png

Below is Persephone trying to "help" me work. As you can see, she's a big girl - 14 pounds of muscle and fur...

Persephone2.png

Thought I'd give a little Danger update:

Danger Kitty is growing and really coming into his own up at the shop. Our shop is clean and organized now so there's far less miscellaneous debris hazard. Danger takes every opportunity to learn his environment and he is diligent about inspecting every new piece of equipment that comes into his domain. He plays on it, climbs on it, climbs under neath it, whatever it takes. My co-worker and I always get a kick out of his antics while we're in there working on something, Danger will come running by and dart this way or that. Here's a pic of him asleep in his bed on the shop couch that only he is brave enough to occupy

121_zps9baf4951.jpeg

My buddy snapped this pic while he was sitting on the forklift eating lunch, all of a sudden Danger somehow jumped up on to the hydraulic mast on the forks.

562_zps484c6513.jpeg

That cat is something else. In my opinion I don't believe he's any ordinary domesticated house cat, he looks a little wild I think. I've done some research and so far he fits in two categories: the Charcoal Bengal and an Ocelot (both of these classes refer to a Pocket leopard or a Dwarf Leopard nickname). He's got a mask on his face and the stripes over the top of his head and the leopard spots on his body and tail, and his freaking paws are like catchers mitts. He's aggressive and always wants to be biting / gnawing on soft fingers, hands and shoes. And he's a sweet very affectionate little Being, not intentionally mean or vicious. His fangs are pretty vicious though.

Edited by gv280z

I'm sorry if this is getting old, anyone that feels so please let me know, and I'll back off. I just wanted to share a couple more pics our shop cat Danger, hanging out in the shop, inspecting the equipment.

20140506_113614_zpsiobtxrlu.jpg

20140506_113705_zps1zkyvrnu.jpg

20140506_113755_zpstkbalcsn.jpg

It is awesome, keep it up!

I love that you saved his butt, and he obviously believes that you are family now. Hopefully he is learning to stay out of the way, he looks to be in the spunky age, but some cats are smart enough to handle industrial environments and watch their own arse. Try not to squish him though!

By the second photo, I'm certain he has a lot of Mackerel Tabby in him. Not to say he isn't a mix. but the M on his forehead is so pronounced, it looks like a brand. ;)

Enjoy your bundle of crazy, they are great fun.

B

It is awesome, keep it up!

I love that you saved his butt, and he obviously believes that you are family now.

B

X2, were probably more willing and happy about the sharing f him than a cat forum :lol:

x2. Reminds me of my first cat, a gray tabby with spotted belly and slight reddishness to the light fur.

Make sure you get Danger spayed or neutered, though - do it young. You don't want either kittens birthed under the hood of the forklift or (if it's a he) spraying and marking around your shop.

How are you teaching him/ her to avoid the dangerous things in the shop?

Thanks everyone, we really enjoy Danger while we're working. He is a little terror though. The only real way we've found to train him away from serious danger like the forklift mainly is a water spray bottle, we try to keep it with us and spray him when we're on the forklift. I had a really close call the other day that scared and shocked me; I was actually sitting on the forklift, started it and was about to back up but I made a point to look around and try to find Danger before moving...I didn't see him anywhere..and then I just happened to look down and there he was halfway laying under the main chassis of the lift...I freaked out, to say the least. I started yelling at him and revving the engine but he didn't move, just laid there. My co-worker finally came and got him away. So, after that we've tried to be very vigilant on spraying him with the bottle when we're on the forks.

But, unfortunately it goes beyond that...he has made the entire complex of buildings his ranging area, his territory that he covers and he's hard to control while we're in there working...we've started keeping the bay doors closed which kills the breeze blowing through...but it's to keep him safe..I just hope he is able to learn somehow to stay out of dangerous stuff...but then again, that's his name...

20140508_093154_zps3ukeam8y.jpg

x2 on that nervousness. I think the idea of having a shop cat is awesome, both on the level of "epic win" and practicality - keeping the rodent/ pest population down. But he won't be much of a shop cat if he gets squooshed. Beyond the spray bottle, the only thing I can think is that he has to actually be scared once or twice to realize the dangers around him. Not sure of a controlled way to do that where you minimize risk. Maybe keep him away from the forklift altogether as that is probably his biggest danger. . . unfortunately that means no more "lap rides" on the forklift.

On that note I have always enjoyed going to businesses where there are resident cats. Says something about the place.