Tranny cooler relocation?

GrimGreg

I was thinking about relocating my tranny cooler to under the truck in the void of space on the passenger side under the rear seat, with it's own e-fan. My thought is to install it at a slight angle to increase airflow, yet still keep it tucked up out of the way. Then put the e-fan on the bottom side to help protect the cooler from stuff getting kicked up at it.

Thoughts?

No. :thumbsdown:

Reason?

Because all manner of things will end up being flung at it, sticks, stones, mud n stuff.

The E-fan will not be enough to protect it alone, and if something did come into contact with a blade, the blade cuts through the core?

You wont know until its too late, will you?

Nope, bad idea IMHO.

Reasons listed above, and mainly mud and road grit will coat the cooler, reducing the heat exchange capacity, not to mention drastically shortening the life of the fan.

Also, think of the heat you can feel when you don't have a shifter boot in place. All that gets blown back at speed, it is very hot down there!! Imagine idling in traffic on a hot day when the temp of the road alone is 120+ degrees...

I've been trying to think up a better place for my cooler also, considering some kind of fan for low speeds perhaps, but I just don't think that is an answer. That said, for now I plan to run a second cooler in series.

B

Actually the area under the rear seats is no where near as hot as the tranny hump area. As for road grime type stuff, a lot more hits the front than the underside of the truck. Being up behind the frame rails sheilds that area from tire spray.

To be honest the only major concern I would have is to hit a stray branch on a trail. Which the expanded metal would hopefully stop that from puncturing the cooler.

Sounds like the only thoughts you want to hear are "good idea". :D

Hey, why not, rig it up. I don't think it will be as efficient or safe as the current location thoguh.

If something bad happens your temp gauge should tell you about it either by skyrocketing or plummeting.

B

No, just looking for thoughts beyond the simple, "it's gonna get hit"....

Yes I am kind of set on doing it. Actually, some of my thoughts as to why I want to do this include; it sitting up front getting over cooled in the winter, and flow to restricted when idling offroad. Being under the truck it won't get as high of flow yes, but that and also it might pick up some exhaust heat could help in winter. In summer, since ther really isn't room for a second e-fan up in front of the truck, I could mount one directly to the cooler if relocated. It would also shorten the run to and from the tranny to the cooler.

Out of curiosity, what makes you think there's such a thing as too much flow, even in winter? My cooler is front and center, and I believe our climate here is colder than yours, and I've had no issues with mine whatsoever. The tranny warms up to proper range (torque converter will lock up, shifts are smooth) every bit as quick as it did when I had the stock cooler in the rad.

No, just looking for thoughts beyond the simple, "it's gonna get hit"....

I'm sure you've heard of KISS :aok:

What's your reason for moving it? Not taking the piss, I just don't know why you'd need to move it :shrug:

Too much spare time? :lol:

:beer:

My OIL filter has yet to recive a deadly blow, its tucked up where the trany xmeber meets the frame rail its tucked up pretty close to the body sitting about 2-3" higer than the bottom of the frame. I have finned aluminum cover over it that would protect it from punctures.

I could imagine a small cooler doing well in this space if postitioned directly over the x-memer and enclosed in a luvered box to protect it from punctures. the box could always be opened to hose the road dirt or sludge from mud/water crossings.

Tex, read my 3rd post.

I would be more worried about an air tank under the truck myself. I know Eli had put his dual batteries in the area I'm talking about...

Basically looking for an alternate location that doesn't require a bump out on the body or losing a window and cabin space.

You seem pretty much hell bent on doeing it, the general census seems to be nay-sayers, you seem to be pretty much planned, and I'm dumb with automatics. I say try, it's reversable right?

Tex, read my 3rd post.

I would be more worried about an air tank under the truck myself. I know Eli had put his dual batteries in the area I'm talking about...

Basically looking for an alternate location that doesn't require a bump out on the body or losing a window and cabin space.

So your reason is to stop road grime? Really? When are you going to remount the radiator and AC?

I'VE GOT IT..... Drive in reverse everywhere :lol:

Grimgreg

Is it possible that you could put a sock or blanket over it to keep it warmer in the winter and remove it in summer? Or with the use of a high pressure tap or valve, you could pass it through the OEM cooler in the radiator in winter and through a front mounted external cooler and the radiator in the summer? I have a lot of stone chips under my Pathy and can't imagine to think what your trans cooler could go through if mounted under there. I am not sure how much off roading you do though which would affect that. You didn't mention that if it got too warm in summer, just too cool in winter. In OZ I often drive and tow a horse trailer up and down hills in 90 - 100F heat with no overheating or performance issue from the trans.

Please post pics and report if you do put it under there somewhere.

Nick

Edited by Nickj

Mine is tucked between the radiator and the AC now, lower corner. The OEM cooler is removed from the system to avoid the common clog issue. As for summer, the only time it does get really hot is when I am offroading, the slow speeds in low gears gets it really hot.

Tex, no road grime is not a worry of mine, it was a worry of B's.

Mine is tucked between the radiator and the AC now, lower corner. The OEM cooler is removed from the system to avoid the common clog issue. As for summer, the only time it does get really hot is when I am offroading, the slow speeds in low gears gets it really hot.

Tex, no road grime is not a worry of mine, it was a worry of B's.

I think that is part of the problem of it getting really hot at slow speeds, you are between the radiator and AC. The reduces the effectiveness 20-25% when you are moving, and means that when you are stopped, the air being blown on it is directly off of the radiator, circa 180 degrees. That's not going to help much with heat exchange...

As for your concern about it warming up in the winter, can you not put in a shield to block direct flow over some/all of the cooler without significantly interfering with the radiator cooling capacity (that isn't being used at capacity)?

I do question what improvements can be done to my cooler set up as well. I'm leaning towards a second cooler inside of the engine bay with a selectable E fan on it or something. It has yet to be determined, but I suspect that my current set up will not perform to my satisfaction on a hot trail. :shrug:

Like was said, what the hell, give it a shot. It is reversable and you already have a gauge to monitor things so it's not like you are running blind.

B

Being between the radiator and AC it sits in front of the radiator, so it gets the cold air before the radiator, and at slow speeds the fan pulls the air through it before the radiator. I can see some heat exchange at low speed do to proximity, but the fan should negate a good bit of that.

BTW, haven't mentioned this before, but this is on my 93, my wife uses it as a DD all winter. If it were a dedicated trail rig, I would just pull out a rear side window and put it up in there with a shroud ducting it out the rear. I'm still using the stock cooler on the 88, it had a new radiator in 04, and has worked fine, but I'll be installing a dedicated one on it, probably on the underside of the hood with a cowel on top of the hood and e-fan below the cooler. Not going for pretty on it, but not going for ugly either. The 93 I want to keep somewhat pretty, for my wife's benefit.