Back Window Wiper Squirter Doesn't Work

DoctorBill

This winter, I need to use the back wiper quite often and I tried the

squirter - no fluid.

I assumed a tube ran the length of the Pathfinder from the front reservoir

to the back.

Does the tube get hard and break ? Does fluid ever get into the roof space?

Or does that back have a separate reservoir - if so I can't find it.

'95 XE-V6

DoctorBill

Edited by DoctorBill

The Rear Wiper Squirter comes from the reservoir up in the front. there are 2 lines coming off it and 2 separate Washer Pumps. It could be you rear washer pump is not working. You can test it by taking off your Reservoir bottle, (3 bolts) disconnecting the connectors to Both pumps, then take 2 wires and connect them direct with the battery. And Don't forget to remember which hose came from which pump so your not hooking them back up backwards.

Both of my Pumps were shot, and at the Dealer cost in Canada it was $56.00 CAD each. I tried the Wreckers first and picked up 2 more. Those I just pocketed but turned out that only 1 worked anyway. I checked with Alkorahil in the Services section and he can get you them for $31.00 USD + shipping. Don't bother with picking up a universal no name brand cause it doesn't match up properly and it has to be Jimmy Rigged. Tried that as well.

If its not the pump then your line is clogged somewhere and your gonna have to do some searching. I'd start at the rear Nozzle.

*Edit*

Also forgot to mention, that if you have power to the Pump you should be able to hear it running. Noisy little buggers. Probably easier to test it from just listening then taking it off and what not but hey, maybe its the Connector too so if you hear nothing take it apart and test it to battery to verify its not your connection or wiring related.

Edited by Dowser

Good info Dowser!!

If you suspect the line is blocked (quite possible), then unhook the line at the pump and at the nozzle in back and try to blow back through to the reservoir with a compressed air source. Blowing the other way could work but may wedge blockage material even harder if there is a pinch point somewhere.

B

Good info Dowser!!

If you suspect the line is blocked (quite possible), then unhook the line at the pump and at the nozzle in back and try to blow back through to the reservoir with a compressed air source. Blowing the other way could work but may wedge blockage material even harder if there is a pinch point somewhere.

B

Thank you Precise.

And a minor note adding to what Precise mentioned. This is pretty straight forward but some of you may not think of it and cause yourself a headache. If your going to blow some compressed air thru it, try and remember its just washer hose and not rated for HIGH psi. Don't crank up your compressor to 120 psi and Open it up with a Blow gun. If there is a clog and you do that you could quite possibly blow thru the hose and end up having to replace it. Start off with just some low pressure. All you want to do is test if its clogged and if its not, then you're going to feel low pressure come out the other side.

Thanks folks.

It is 20° outside so I'd like to ask - where do I look for those two

small electrical washer pumps.

Right side - Left side | Front - back ?

If that long tube gets a break in it, does the washer fluid then go all

into the overhead cloth on the roof of the cab ?

Where does the tube go thru ? The roof section or underneath the cab ?

Could one buy new tubing, tape the new to the old and pull the new one

thru to the back or front - kinda like you can do with electrical wire

sometimes?

DoctorBill

2 door vs 4 door...

The Rear Wiper Squirter comes from the reservoir up in the front. there are 2 lines coming off it and 2 separate Washer Pumps

As was said the reservoir (drivers side near the fire wall) has two pumps on the back of it (towards the back of the car).

I don't know the answers to the rest but have you, by chance, downloaded a copy of the Factory Service Manual??

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=5410&view=findpost&p=457867

B

Least you don't have my problem where you hold the rear washer pump on and it starts dripping

onto the rear drivers passenger!

That's why I asked if one could pull a NEW tube thru the vehicle using the old tube taped to the new tube...

Or glued to the old tube with Instant glue and a peg insert between the new and old tube...then pull it

forward or toward the back - either way.

They sell tubing in Pet Stores (for aquarium air bubblers) or in Tubing & Hose Supply Houses for high

pressure lines and for Refrigerator Ice Machines, etc. There are all kinds, but you have to know what

to ask for because the clerks haven't a clue what you need.

DoctorBill

That's why I asked if one could pull a NEW tube thru the vehicle using the old tube taped to the new tube...

Or glued to the old tube with Instant glue and a peg insert between the new and old tube...then pull it

forward or toward the back - either way.

They sell tubing in Pet Stores (for aquarium air bubblers) or in Tubing & Hose Supply Houses for high

pressure lines and for Refrigerator Ice Machines, etc. There are all kinds, but you have to know what

to ask for because the clerks haven't a clue what you need.

DoctorBill

I think you will find it easier to remove the hood lining and trim as the tube runs up the front window pillar, along the trim above the doors and along the rear to the washer output.

Make sense. :scratchhead:

unhook the line at the pump and at the nozzle in back and try to blow back through to the reservoir with a compressed air source.

My 2 cents...

This line has a small one-way check valve (buried inside rear door, near the nozzle). This thing can be clogged too. Also, it's impossible to blow hose in reverse direction thru this valve.

To DoctorBill: remove rear door trim above the window (simply pull it out, there are clips inside - can't remember, plastic or steel type) to access all these things. Trace hose back from nozzle and you'll see a small plastic thing (one-way valve).

I doubt you can pull a new tube without removing some parts of interior trim (roof and front/back window pillars).

Check pump motor first. I had an issue with pump intake clogged by dirt (motor whirrs, but don't pumps a liquid).

Edited by Terrano1992

I had nearly the same issue on my '91. Motor was fine just no/little fluid to the rear glass. My problem turned out to be a ton of sediment in the nozzle. On the '91's anyway th nozzle is just held in the rear hatch with a prawl on the nozzle's base AIRC. A small flat bladed screwdriver or putty knife GENTLY, worked under the nozzle base's grommet will release the prawl and nozzle assembly. From there you can flush out the nozzle if that is your issue and reinstall. Mine wees like a Russian race horse now. Good luck.

• 2 weeks later...

I know I got the same deal, it will trickle slightly if I hold it for a while, but I can EASILY hear it pumping....I just assumed it clogged after however many years of no use..

Holla if you fix it ;)

I have the very same problem too. I plan on having the nozzle replaced this year and see if that would solve the problem.

• 2 months later...

I just assumed the front and back pump would be the same, not so much :( , my back works great, my front is dead. So I took the reservoir out and I thought if the one I got from the JY doesn't work I'll just switch hoses so the front will work until I can get a replacement. Ha, no go, the front is attached to the freakin reservoir, and mine is corroded to shiite. Anyone got a tip? My windshield is total crap daily after work here in the south, green oak pollen + sap = no can see

I suggest NOT buying a universal no name brand washer pump for cheaper cause they dont fit correctly and will need to be jimmy rigged. I still haven't got washer pumps yet either cause Nissan Wants too much for a pump. $31.00 USD without shipping per pump is the best price i could find new. I took 2 from the wreckers here from the only Pathfinder they had and only 1 worked and its beat pretty bad with rust and corrosion. I'm STILL looking for a pair.