Dream build's

unccpathfinder

Alright so I love my pathy but there are some dream builds that I would like to do. I will start off with one for right now. I'm going to set forth a few ground rules

1. Build what you, want how you want

2. Try and keep the build within your grasp (ie i could do a $200k build but really in the next 10 years I could probably pull off a $10k-15k build)

3. Have fun with it

4. List some goals for the build

5. Approximate timeline

well I wish I still had my 64 half cab scout to build but i sold that a few years back (kicks self in ass really hard)

My dream build has always been a 71 or 72 Chevelle. I would like to start off with something that has a solid frame and mostly solid body (i know these have floorboard and truck rot issues) something like this would do (a malibu and not a true SS is fine):

71_Chev_Chevelle_2HT.jpg

car051.jpg

and work towards this:

0608ch_02_z%201971_chevy_chevelle_ss%20rear_quarter.jpg

0608ch_04_z%201972_chevy_chevelle_ss%20burnout.jpg

I was thinking it would be awesome to throw an LS6 to it which would require custom engine mounts, radiator mounts and drilveline mounts...def change the nameplate from corvette to "Chevelle" or "project name":

ls6-frontside.jpg

Type: 5.7L V8

Displacement: 5665cc

Compression Ratio: 10.5:1

Valve Configuration: Overhead Valves

Assembly Site: St. Catharines, ON

Valve Lifters: Hydraulic Roller

Firing Order: 1 - 8 - 7 - 2 - 6 - 5 - 4 - 3

Bore x Stroke: 99.00 x 92.00mm

Fuel System: Sequential Fuel Injection

Horsepower: 405 @ 6000 rpm

Torque (lb-ft): 400 @ 4800 rpm

Fuel Shut Off: 6600 rpm

use the Tremec T56 manual transmission:

957-T56Magnum.jpg

Engine: $6500 (crate)

transmission: $3300

wiring harness: $900-$2500

Car: ~$3000

replacement/misc parts: ~$3000

I would get the car...do a frame off to inspect/repair the body and frame. I would then mock the engine/tranny up and go ahead and probably tube out a cage and seat locations, get the body primered up and drop it on and weld everything up. It would also be nice to upgrade the suspension for more than straight line driving but that would probably come down the road. This build would probably top out at ~$20k as shown but there are always the options of going with used engines/wrecked cars for harnesses, engines and tranny's and with the work being done by me I could cut corners on shop costs and it may very well be possible to get it down to $15k and easily go up to $40k+

As far as time frame I think this would be a good 5 year build

My current one is one of my dream build:

1995-1999 Maxima

as far as body work goes, start with stock, paint it 350z blue, get CF hood and CF lip kit by ionic dynamics. keep the current wheels.

next step is find a 3.5 + 6speed tranny from a 3.5 altima SE-r, or a 2004 maxima

swap it in, looking at about 4k for motor tranny, and ecu

build motor with upgraded internals. 1500

Stillen/Vortech sc kit. about 2k

and then the rest would be custom interior work.

Cost of car plus paint, body, motor comes to about 15k before interior work

Small block 79-80 Pinto wagon

Caddy Big Blocked Chevette

Pastel blue 1st gen Tracker trail ride

67 Buick wagon into a pro-touring style ride, all suspension though no bags

53 Bel Air hardtop sled

Dean Merc (49-51)

Something with a Caddy Cimmaron

almost anything late 60's early 70's mopar

just to name a couple of my money wasting ideas

I have always wanted to put a VG30DETT and a 5 speed in my 1969 Mustang coupe. The engine bay has plenty of room and I already upgraded the rear end to a 9" and put disc brakes up front. No egr crap. No cat. Dual exhaust with an X-pipe. Some may cry heresy, but I love Nissan VG music. Especially if it's got twin blowers and twin Flowmaster Delta 50s.

My dream build has always been a 71 or 72 Chevelle.

My first car was a 71 Malibu, 350/350. Awesome/fun car. Like Wagons? A guy in a Chevelle club I am in has a clean, straight, rust free, 72 wagon for sale. No engine/trans but body is excellent and has A/C & Power disks, orig paint - asking $2k only! I'd buy it if it wasn't so far away from me (he is in Culver city CA)

My 69 is my dream car in some senses. It is the car I want, big block, 4 speed, coupe. I just wish it was in nicer condition.

I wanted for the longest time to do a tremec TKO600 5 speed swap. I agonized over which gear set / OD ratio to go with though. The .64 is simply too steep with anything under 3.73s and works best with at least 4.10s, especially if you have an agressive cam. However with those gears, you end up having an extremely short 1st gear. The .82 has the opposite problem where 1st is great with say 3.42s but the OD isn't as deep as I would like for freeway driving.

This has lead me to the newly T-56 6 speeds as you have listed, now these are a sweeeeet set-up... of course, 50% price increase.

It sounds like you have researched this a lot.... are you ok with a huge cutout of the stock trans tunnel? (trans is taller/wider).

Edited by BowTied

Not a dream build, but I will be building a 1980 Mercury Capri in the near future. I got the car, motor, tranny, and a bunch of parts for free. Only need to put in a few hundred bucks worth of parts to have a running car.

For now, it's going to be a very mildly built 302 (B303 cam, Holley Performer intake, Holley 670 carb) with a 5 speed.

I may put a gear in the rear end, or keep it stock for the short term, and see how I like it. It'll have hi-flow cats, and flowmaster 40's on it.

Currently, the body of the car is complete, and in remarkably good condition given that it's nearly 30 years old, and lived it's life here in the rust belt, but the paint is HORRIBLE. It was done with a Wagner powershot, and the term "orange peel" isn't exactly accurate. More like grapefruit :lol:

The interior is damn near mint.

Right now, the motor is built on a stand, the tranny and a few other odds and ends are waiting installation. Have to swap out the K member to accept the V8 (originally the car was an I6) and then I can drop in the motor and tranny, swap out the rear end, and have some fun with it.

Edited by Simon

Find and restore a 1970 Chevelle SS454LS6 to factory spec. Blue with white stripes, black interior with the sport bucket seats.

One of the best muscle cars of all time.

RED!! with white stripes.

Ad this to my list... Find and restore a 1972 Ford gran torino.

one of the most beautiful muscles cars ever.

Edited by LovemyPathfinder

1985 Audi 4000S Quattro with a 3B engine code mated to a GT3071R turbo, 034 efi, URS4 tranny, 40/60 torsion center diff, ecode headlights, eibach springs with kyb adjustable struts, 5 lug conversion, Porsche Big reds and s4 rears, decent stereo and with UR quattro front fenders with custom rear all covered in oceananic blue. Kinda like these...

audi4000.jpg

ur9002_001.jpg

Here is mine thus far:

DSCF1992.jpg

Before the projector conversion

DSCF1744.jpg

Interior work

DSCF1789.jpg

Edited by Extreme90path

Mine are pretty mild. I've got visions of muscle cars and toys, but my regular go-to is either a clean '84-85 RX-7, or more likely a 280ZX Turbo. I know, I know, but these turn a certain COOL button for an 80's kid, they have potential, and I could turn wrenches on them. Plus there are LOTS of toys available to push them over the top.

post-35-1254380075_thumb.jpg

Edited by Mr. Pickles

Leaving it Capri shelled or goeing the played out Mustang clip swap?

Nope....it'll be a full on Capri. Only thing is it's a standard hatch, not "Bubble Back" but the Capri came with both options.

• 6 months later...

Find and restore a 1970 Chevelle SS454LS6 to factory spec. Blue with white stripes, black interior with the sport bucket seats.

One of the best muscle cars of all time.

A buddie just picked up a 70 ss396(traded a fully restore mg midget for it,he's a dumb ass) you could probly get it once we do the body work and put something in a bit more powerful then the junker 305 thats it right now for...10-12k ish...

Ok...so I'm a bit weird because I have my dream car(2 of them)

But my build plans for my 65 chevy impalas...

Red ONE(big red) rebuild the factory 283,4 barrel carb,intake,k@n filter(already has headers) restore body and switch frames with its twisted twin...add a dakota digetal dash(I think there neat) cragar s/s, and maybe a minni kenny-bell huffer...(probly around 10-16,depends on if I get the huffer)

Blue one(parts car) change out frame with big red,fix frame,air-shocks and wagon coils (will lift back2 inch),big red all ready has the coils) 396-bored/stroked to 427 ci,Big 6-71,Fogger system,mickey-t's th700r4 tranny with manuel valve body...cragar s/s($ 20,000)

1995 nissan pathfinder...I want it to be fixed with a th700r4 tranny,305 v8 with tbi,headers,2-1 exhaust,and lifted anuff to fit 12.5-13 wide 33s on my AR slots...($a lot)

Ones I want...

68 malibu,black with red strip,396 bb,4 spd hurst shifter and linkage,cragars(15k)

68 chevy 2...black,396 hood with vents,red interior,350 with a cloumn shifted th700r4,12 bolt with 3.73 gears(10k)

1990 plymount lazer rs turbo,set up like Sheps talon...running 8.5s in the 1/4 at 160+

Edited by nismothunder

I currently have 2 of them in my shop but, a 1972 Plymouth Duster, and a 1968 barracuda Fastback.

Duster will be Mango orange, Black interior with front buckets, mini Tubs in the rear, a 440 bored out .030 over. there is a general idea. Have most of the parts, just need time.

Barracuda, I want to bag it and make it into a Pro Street, Silver with flake and Maroon stripes to match the immaculate interior. Then do a Modern Hemi swap.

Oh where will the time come from...

My dream build would be a 70 chevelle SS with the old school LS6 and have it come out like this:

2m6l7h2.jpg

Oh my God I love you. If only it was blue with white stripes...

Such raw power... 450HP stock and gobs of torque. You simply can't beat it.

My mechanic/cousin's parents and sister went on vacation to florida one time back in 1970, when they got home and opened the garage guess what they saw ?? Yup, the same green SS Chevelle like the one I posted, LS-6 auto, white stripes, cowl hood, the best of the best!! Some of my other relatives used to tell me stories about how fast that car was and how people used to always want to race him, they said the car was scary fast. He only drove the car 2 years than parked it in his garage, he didn't even keep gas in the tank he ran it every once in a while out of a gallon jug he had hanging off the front bumper. He told me he would sell it to me for $6500 (now you know that was a LONG time ago at that price !!!), and what was I supposed to say I was about 9 -10 years old at the time. When Reggie Jackson had the fire in his garage and lost some of his muscle cars one of his people contacted my cousin about buying the Chevelle but nothing ever came out of it, he ended up selling it about 10 years ago for $30K and the guy freshened it up a little and re-sold it a week later for $40K, OH, I did I mention that it only had 21K miles on it !!!!!