Gettin a new pathy!

zeppelindrummer

Hey everybody, i've been gone for a little while- hope all is well for everybody.

I've been savin my $$$ for a little while, and i'm lookin to get a new pathy.

I was thinkin about gettin a Tacoma for a bit, but then i thought about how much i'd miss my pathfinder!

I currently have my 87, and i'm lookin to get a newer one, most likely a 95.

Just wondering if there is anything i need to look out for, other than the frame rust, or if i should consider a different year than the 95?

I wanna stick with the WD21, cuz i know quite a bit about them, and working on mine isn't much of a problem.

I'll update with info as it comes to me!

i'm lookin to get a newer one, most likely a 95.

Smart man, the less years and miles, the less wear and tear. Focus on the 94 and 95 is my advice, the 105k timing belt interval is worth it in my book...

Also, if you are lucky, you can find one for quick sale that someone doesn't want to pay for for TB replacement; these usually have 100-120k miles and are a bit cheaper. I just means you have to do it, but you save in the long run.

Have $ on hand and be patient. Keep looking around to get a feel for the market, and when you see one that sounds good, go check it out top to bottom. You will know when to buy based either on quality or price. I lean towards quality as I want something with few problems, not many... :shrug:

B

Thanks guys!! thats exactly what i was thinking.

I love my 2 door, but it's pushin 200k which i know isn't bad, it still runs like a champ, and i've invested alot in it, but being my first car, and first 4x4 for that, i have destroyed alot on it. The interior isn't in great shape either, i keep it clean, but there are so many little things i just don't want to worry about fixing (Horribly stained carpet, cracked dash, non working instrument cluster, no AC, locks don't work on ANY of the doors, my windshield recently got annihilated, when replacing my CV joint/axles i did something wrong and the 4x4 no longer works)... and that's not even the half of it. Plus i still haven't gotten around to fixin my tick tick manifold that is incredibly loud, so i'd rather just find one in awesome condition and go with it!

Being my first truck, and for 800 bucks, i can't complain, i've learned so much with it, and theres a reason i'm going for another pathy!

What i've seen are 94s, and 95s around 110 to 150k in good shape from 2500-4000. I have about 2 grand saved right now, so once i find one where the price is right, and i like what i see, i'll jump on it!

thanks for the advice guys!

-Zep

Watch for the rust that starts in the seam under the rear seat. Removing the carpet in the luggage compartment is the best way to ascertain damage. Perhaps that is impractical when shopping.

Close inspection of the rear frame and wheel wells should give a good indication as to the shape of the chassis.

One other thing. Ideally, you want Lady, City Driven. Metrosexual, City Driven is also good. :D Crawl underneath and look for off-road scratches; you shouldn't find any.

Watch for the rust that starts in the seam under the rear seat. Removing the carpet in the luggage compartment is the best way to ascertain damage. Perhaps that is impractical when shopping.

Close inspection of the rear frame and wheel wells should give a good indication as to the shape of the chassis.

One other thing. Ideally, you want Lady, City Driven. Metrosexual, City Driven is also good. :D Crawl underneath and look for off-road scratches; you shouldn't find any.

gotta make sure the transfer case works though....

What i've seen are 94s, and 95s around 110 to 150k in good shape from 2500-4000.

I'd argue that in current times and circumstances, you shouldn't have to pay more than $3500 for a good, low milage pathy.

Crawl underneath and look for off-road scratches; you shouldn't find any.

Good point, even if you plan to wheel it, it's good if the PO didn't... :D

Good luck Bud, just be patient.

B

Bring a hammer and screw driver when checking out the new Pathy and go to town on the frame especially from above the rear wheel well all the way to the bumper. You also might want to check behind the flares if it has them for rust. Its amazing how well it can be concealed. Good Luck

Smart man, the less years and miles, the less wear and tear.

That's all a matter of who drove it 1st :tongue:

you keeping the 2 door or selling it?

Yea I think the Tcases in the newer ones are weaker...at least I heard the chain was more narrow and more prone to stretching out...the 95 case in my 87 right now slips in 4lo on a hill climb pretty good...or at least thats what i think all the horrible noises are coming from...

newer pathy's have more rust issues...my 95 has some up front under the battery and a lil under the rear seats but my 87 has none...well now a lil on the rear body but it is 8 years older than the 95...the MPFI is a little harder to work on as well (at least spark plugs and valve cover gaskets)

poke around on the bottom of the driver's and passenger foot wells. Mine developed a big hole there, and i know i'm not the only one. Don't get one with rust around the windshield either. if you are gonna wheel it with big tires, try and get an open diff and 4.6 gears along with manual transmission and rear tire carrier. Open rear diff is easier to install a locker and the bigger gears help with the larger tires.

Yeah hopefully you can meet the previous owner and see what sort of driving habits and distances they went. I don't think you would want a car that had low miles because of a short commutes, especially in the winter time. The constant heating and cooling melts and freezes water and ice which really messes up these trucks. I would rather have one that was highway driven further. It's less wear and tear on the truck (depending how they drove it like unccpathfinder says)

just remember with the SE and LE editions: the more gizmo/gadgety sh!t they have on them, the more sh!t is likely to break, so try to keep it simple. If it has rust, walk away and try to find one in better shape. you're the one with the money so you have the power in the transaction. just don't be all giddy when you find one that you'd buy. the salemen can sense it lol

It's less wear and tear on the truck (depending how they drove it like unccpathfinder says)

I was 16 when I got my 87 and drove it like it was a stock car (hell i still do)...it had 192k on it...the engine was broke at 250k (after surviving a timing belt break at 225) and was still running just had dropped trash in the engine on a spark plug change so it was knocking and still convinced i should have ground it off and i'd still have the original engine in it

I bought my 95 from my cousin with 105k on it and in about a year i put almost 50k on it b/c i had a 700 mile commute per week which didnt include weekend trips and what not...I once again drove the piss out of it and it handled it well even with its syncro problems which seem to be worse in my 95 than my 87 but I don't know what the maintainence schedules were on either of them but I do know my 87 was well maintained by the guy that i bought it from and so was the 95 but the 95 had receipts from jiffy lube for the transmission fluid changes (i dont trust their work or their fluids) so that's what I blame my 95 driveline issues on

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, i appreciate all of the input in this! and after some hard searching, i have found my new pathfinder.

It is not exactly what i wanted, but i have big plans, and it is a great looking and running truck, that will be even nicer once i'm finished with it :)

Okay, so here goes-

2000 bucks, and I test drove it today, it's a 92 with 196,000 miles on it. The interior is immaculate, as well as the exterior. Brand new clutch, paint job, and windshield. It's the champagne finish without a roof rack, or rear tire carrier, which i'm a little bummed about, but i'll easily make due. I have Friday evening, Saturday and Sunday all off so i will be transferring over my lift, and possibly roof rack/safari rack.

I'm way excited to upgrade to this truck. I'll upload new pictures of it once it's parked in front of my house, all the way, til it's lifted, and modded to what my old one is currently at,.

and unccpathfinder... i treated mine the same. haha, i not only treated it like a stock car, but as if curbs, rocks, and anything in my way... wasn't there... i've jumped it multiple times, and i've paid the price haha. I'm not gonna do the same to this one though. i got my "practice car" out of the way. lol

-zepp

i'll be updating alot in the next couple of days

Pictures will be uploaded tomorrow or tuesday! i got the new pathy, swapped the lift off the old one as well as replacing the ball joints on the new one, and delifted the old one, all in 6 hours! The only problem was getting the old ball joints off... those things suck!

so far i love the new pathy, it is in amazing condition, and i can't wait to get pictures up for you all to see!

The next plans... once funds arrive, is a rear tire carrier, and a new exhaust system!

Edited by zeppelindrummer

It is a manual!, the clutch is nearly bran new, and the interior is immaculate other than some small cracks on the dash. I ran into some issues on the passenger side when crankin the t-bars... but that's another story.

anyway, here are the after pics, i'm waitin on my friend who is sendin me the before pics from his iphone.

Didn't crank the torsion bars yet here

DSC00885.jpg

and after they're cranked- i have a picture that i'll edit in later tonight showing the pathy before i'd done anything to it

DSC00888.jpg

Before :)

beforepathy.jpg

Mr. Jim sticker donation

DSC00894.jpg

i have yet to get rid of the old small spare, i have plans to get a rear tire carrier soon for my full size MT spare

DSC00892.jpg

Inside, i haven't cleaned it or put my heavy duty rubber floormats in yet, but it is in great shape

DSC00891.jpg

And the old retired pathy... i need to uncrank the torsion bars on that old guy, then not sure what i'm gonna do with it!

DSC00887.jpg

Edited by zeppelindrummer