lug nut lock thing

You can't just buy another one that is the same. They are all different, for a reason! Usually a tire shop can remove them, but it will destroy the nut. Have you checked everywhere for the piece? (glovebox, spare tire tool bag)

Edited by adamzan

I had the same problem with mine. I just took a sledge, a 19 mm or 3/4 Deep impact socket and pounded it on the lock nut (impact socket won't split from pounding) then a 1/2" cheater bar and Pesto!

I had the same problem with mine. I just took a sledge, a 19 mm or 3/4 Deep impact socket and pounded it on the lock nut (impact socket won't split from pounding) then a 1/2" cheater bar and Pesto!

My $0.02. Place ordinary 19 mm nut over the "secret" lug nut top and MIG-weld both nuts through the nut hole. Then use standard lug nut wrench...

Lies! I know first hand!(literally, messed my hand up good once thinking that). Most garages will have some form of socket meant to remove locking lug nuts/stripped lug nuts. That or if you have welder acess I would try Terrano1992's suggestion and put some regular lugs back on when done.

I have a mig welder, but for the people who don't have one, I was in the commercial tire industry for 12 years and had the "special tool"...It works very well to just pound on a socket and turn off with a cheater bar. BUT, yes, Terrano1992, that is also a very good solution as well.

just to add my little bit. anyone tried a pipe wrench. i have used that before and it works a treat. usualy someone close will have one. if not in youre own tool box

i carry one for all reasons. great also for removing stuffed nuts and bolts to

pipewrench.jpg

Edited by jadm4x4

if you have steel wheels and a lot of room, but for guys who have alloys and the nut is nicely tucked in those holes.... :shrug:

i have alloys. still works for me. i had to do this when i got my pathy. had the same exact issue with the lock nut and no socket to fit.

i have alloys. still works for me. i had to do this when i got my pathy. had the same exact issue with the lock nut and no socket to fit.

How would you get the pipe wrench in there to get at the nut???

You made pasta with a 1/2 cheater bar?? :scratchhead:

B

If you have a Harbor Freight near by they sell a set of two "stripped" lug nut removers for around $5. They have a spiral cut on the inside that grips the outside of the lug nut or lock. Then there is the Gator Grip sockets. They have a bunch of pins on the inside so you only have to have a few sockets instead of a real set. They are kind of expensive though. An auto parts store may also carry the stripped lug removers.

If you have a Harbor Freight near by they sell a set of two "stripped" lug nut removers for around $5. They have a spiral cut on the inside that grips the outside of the lug nut or lock. Then there is the Gator Grip sockets. They have a bunch of pins on the inside so you only have to have a few sockets instead of a real set. They are kind of expensive though. An auto parts store may also carry the stripped lug removers.

The left hand spiral ID sockets work on any hex/square head (I have a set) and should work fine on a locking lug nut IF it has a hex OD, which most don't. Gator grips (I have 1) need the same thing, a hex or square OD to grip. :shrug:

hee hee, you a funny guy! I guess me need some grammar edumacation! :puterpunch:

No, what you typed was funny. I happen to like Pesto and was impressed... :D

B

I tested the spiral removers on my Nissan OEM locks and the smaller of the two worked fine. It was seated pretty deep though. It probably wouldn't work on my alloys, but it did on my Nissan chromies.

• 3 weeks later...

I tried all the above suggestions, aside from welding a nut on, and I ended up buying the proper locking lug removal tools. That way, I have them in the future if anyone else I know is a moron like me, and loses their key. :lol: