New 95 WD21 VG30E intake

N2mesnob

Ok so i did a search on 95 WD21 intakes and came up with some good info but did not find what i was looking for.

As the topic title implies I'm looking to replace my stock intake and as of right now it looks like my only option is a universal kit from Pepboys.

The pros bout going that route is that i think i can do it for under 100$, the con is that from the looks of this kit it is not filling me with confidence because the pipe looks like chrome plastic. lol

I was hoping to find a cold air kit for my application but could only find ones for 96+ and with a cost of 200$+.

Any ideas?

I usually don't take this approach, but please search for this information. There are literally dozens of threads covering many type of intakes/filters from 'home made' $30 units to $400 snorkel systems. Feel free to ask questions about what you find and if you have trouble with the search function (it's finicky, hint use advanced search) let me know and I will help you. :beer:

B

Ok so i did a search on 95 WD21 intakes and came up with some good info but did not find what i was looking for.

As the topic title implies I'm looking to replace my stock intake and as of right now it looks like my only option is a universal kit from Pepboys.

The pros bout going that route is that i think i can do it for under 100$, the con is that from the looks of this kit it is not filling me with confidence because the pipe looks like chrome plastic. lol

I was hoping to find a cold air kit for my application but could only find ones for 96+ and with a cost of 200$+.

Any ideas?

Yeah i tried doing multiple searches and the most i could find was about snorkels.

The downside is that I'm not looking to do a snorkel.

Maybe i'm not using the right words but thats why i posted this if nothing else may you or someone could give me the right words to use or a link or two?

So through more research and luck :crossedwires: I'm beginning to wonder if i could fit an aftermarket cold air intake kit for the 2000-2001 WD22 VG33E Xterra to my application?

Edited by N2mesnob

I'm beginning to wonder if i could fit an aftermarket cold air intake kit for the 2000-2001 WD22 VG33E Xterra to my application?

Nope

Try searchin' without the year, 90-95 are all the same under the hood.

I went the home-made way and yes it is a chromed plastic tube I used, but you can use any 3" tube you want and the clamps will mount up fine. The hardest part is making the proper MAF adaptor. I used a large universal and re-drilled 2 of the holse and filled a couple others in it to make it work. Some people have taken the metal flange off the stock box and used it to clamp their filter on, not a large mount surface, but it will work.

i put a 40$ ebay cold air intake on my pathy but i need to be worried about water and keeping my MAf clean since its just a cone filter. So far i have seen a improved performance but i dont off road to much if at all so the dirtyness hasnt been to big of a problem for me. I did get a mpg increase though! i guess it has its pros and cons

I took my homemade intake off and put the stock one back in for the summer for a couple of reasons:

• I don't like sucking in all that extra hot air

• When it rains, it pours here...no need to risk sucking in water

• I will travel some really dusty roads

Maybe I'm getting too mature, but I didn't like the constant intake rumble...drove me nuts after a while. However, when the fall hits, I'll probably throw the intake back on...

Edited by jpawela

I find that just getting a universal cold air kit from ebay or similar for whatever...I did one for my Optra that was designed for a Honda Civic and it just needed to be modified a bit. I made a small setup for my old '95 I used to have by taking apart the stock intake box, "modifying" (I love that word!) the air flow sensor mount to accommodate the 3" aluminum tube that I had kicking around, used a couple silicone couplers and clamps...fabricated a mount to hold the pipe/filter in place and presto. You can also get a "condom" for the cone-style filters that resist water. They just slide tightly over the cone filter and keep water from damaging the filter.

Edited by magregor

Go the homemade route, but don't skimp on the filter. I put one on my BMW with an Amsoil Filter and a Hydrowrap and haven't had any issues with water to date. The filter can be washed out in the sink and doesn't require a recharge kit like a K&N. The key to efficiency is either placing it where it will get cool air flow or building a custom heat shield.

Go the homemade route, but don't skimp on the filter. I put one on my BMW with an Amsoil Filter and a Hydrowrap and haven't had any issues with water to date. The filter can be washed out in the sink and doesn't require a recharge kit like a K&N. The key to efficiency is either placing it where it will get cool air flow or building a custom heat shield.

HydroWrap! That's what their called! Thanks dude!!

• 3 months later...

I have that same intake in mine. Sounds pretty mean. I couldn't get mine to fit as nicely as yours did though. Couldn't really mount it on anything either.... But so far no issues. Little bit of a power increase and mpgs. I though it was a pretty good buy for the money.

Could you list the parts you used? I'm thinking of doing this to my pathfinder as soon as the budget allows lol

I got it off ebay heres the link: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NISSAN-PATHFINDER-PICKUP-XE-SE-AIR-INTAKE-3-0L-91-1995_W0QQitemZ280419902293QQcmdZViewItemQQptZMotors_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories?hash=item414a542355#ht_2689wt_935

I don't know about any loss of of power or mpg because i didn't dyno it before and after but i haven't notice a loss and she sure does sound good though.

Edited by N2mesnob

whats wrong with the stock intake

seems like an efficient design to me

maybe the ribbed tubing sucks but other than that the layout is fine

Its bulky, restrictive, and inefficient design. :puterpunch:

I haven't dyno mine but weather it be 1hp or 15hp I'll take it. :itsallgood:

I believe the pics show the space recovered and since I don't have video... :omg: if you don't have one installed than you're missing out on how good she sounds with it. :jig: :jig: :jig:

But hey what do I know It's just my opinion :crossedwires: