Radio Brand Model Recomendations + remove ashtray?

GreyAliens

i have searched and searched and will be doing my own install thanks to you guys and will bypass the stock amps (unless i find a stock radio somewhere).

p.s. are there any mods on the removal of the ashtray either for more radio / electronics room or for a cupholder set up somehow? I would not mind going double din but I will have to check and see what is behind the ashtray.

Also I know there is an abs module or some amp below the radio on some pathy's can you guys tell by looking at my pciture if i even have that lower case? eventually i want a fixed cb in that dash somewhere...

Anyway on Jeeps we went pioneer since they handled the vibration when playing cd's and most of the pioneers had a hideaway cd slit so no dust got in there.

Now I do not know what brand to get for the Pathy. I am looking to spend $200 or less, i like PIoneer but am open to suggestions, i am looking for tweaking features. I liked pioneer since it has lots of customizable features with bass and treble control etc and you can really customize it to match the speakers and the cabin.

e7381fb1.jpg

later i will get speakers just doing things little at a time

Edited by GreyAliens

I have a kenwood in my malibu, and if I sell that it will go in the pathy, it works pretty dang good, and works AMAZING with my ipod. I got the one with the USB input too which is nice, and if i recall, i got it for 150, and 60 for install (which now i know i could do)

Kenwood is all I've ever owned which was passed down from my uncle (my 1st aftermarket radio he gave me) I have since only had to buy 1 more bc that one finally ate it after he used it about 4 years and i used it about 4 or so...my kenwood has been running now for like 5 or so and has been in both of my pathfinders.

My cousin had an explode in the 95 running through the factory amps and the "beep" would damn near bust your ears b/c of the amps but my kenwood seems to do ok with it b/c i'm too lazy to bypass them but that will come in time

Alpine and Pioneer are among the best decks out there IMO but some will say Kenwoods are great as well.

I had a sony xplod in my pathy, It seemed a little bugy w/ the Ipod and always started @ song 1 artist 1 alphabetaially whenever the engine stalled or was re-started, got pretty anoying having to re-set it to random every time I got in the car and not to mention wearing out a song I used to like.

Anyway when I totaled the honda that had torn speakers I decided to try the kenwood that was in it on a vehicle that had undamaged speakers.WOW. It blew the sony out of the water, sound quality was rich, Ipod interface was great and It could be programed to know 6" in front and 6x9's in the back.

Yep, I'm pretty much sold on Kenwood

My cousin had an explode in the 95 running through the factory amps and the "beep" would damn near bust your ears b/c of the amps but my kenwood seems to do ok with it b/c i'm too lazy to bypass them but that will come in time

Yeah when I put my Xplod in the beep scared the crap out of me. Good thing it can be disabled. I'm running through the factory amps. Only reason is because I like the tweeters and do not like the idea of rewiring the whole truck.

Everyone I know that has a Sony deck complains of the horrid beeping that goes on when you turn the truck off. It's obnoxious!

My brother in law's little 5 speed economy car has that, and every time he parks here, I can hear his radio go 'beep beep beep'

I would never wish that on anyone. Ever.

My friend with one must have a different kind of Sony...because it goes beepbeep beep - beepbeep beep

I was just about to say that lol mine(now in the dodge) was more like "beedep a deep" 3 times and then its done.

i had a clarion vrx485vd in my pathy until i put it in my 300zx then i just bought a vr3 mp3, usb ,memorycard, cd player from wlamart for 70 bucks! its pretty sweet having all the inputs and works great. I wouldnt bother bypassing the factory amps I have never had to and mine works fine! I havea stock radio also if your interested. whats wrong with yours?

current deck

http://www.blogcdn.com/www.engadget.com/me...dmaster_vr3.jpg

old deck (now in the z)

http://www.orbitcast.com/archives/ces-2008...on-VRX485VD.jpg

I would highly recommend getting new speakers my stock ones lasted aobut a week with the new deck in there i have since added some subs and some aftermarket speakers. world of a difference.

pictures of stereo(down a little ways)

http://npora.ipbhost.com//index.php?showto...&hl=edicer2

Edited by edicer2

Currently running a Sony cdx-f5510x, MP3, Remote. Is a discontinued model now. As said previously, the beep can be turned off, as it will destroy any insentive to turn the radio on.

DSC00282.jpg

Up until now I have only ever ran Alpine gear, but funds at the moment dictate that I dont have that option, as the family come first.

Just put a nice JVC in my wife's VW, it has front input and front USB. I have a Dual in my 88 with front USB also, we just fill up jump drives and go. I wouldn't recommend the Dual, it has no folder setup, it just starts at file one and cycles through them all. The JVC uses the folders so you can skip folder to folder, it also displays album and song titles.

Currently running a Sony cdx-f5510x, MP3, Remote. Is a discontinued model now. As said previously, the beep can be turned off, as it will destroy any insentive to turn the radio on.

DSC00282.jpg

Up until now I have only ever ran Alpine gear, but funds at the moment dictate that I dont have that option, as the family come first.

Have the same head unit in my flatbed...works great for a salvage unit(pulled it out of a car we were taking to the crusher).

i have always bought alpine products. I currently have a CDA-7894 which was the last head unit they made that came with the v-drive 4x60w internal amplifier. It's a bit too powerful for the factory speakers when you bypass the amplifier, but I haven't upgraded my speakers yet. But at 27w RMS for each channel, the head unit would do a great job of driving 4 nice speakers on it's own. You can adjust the each channel's timing to make up for the varying distance of the speakers to your head so the sound from each channel hits your head or wherever you focus it at the exact same time. If you are going to get an external 4 channel amplifier, i wouldn't bother getting that model head unit, you could grab any alpine with the 4x50w power rating. I also got an adapter cord (alpine KCA-121b) that allows you to plug 2 rca jacks into the ai net/cdchanger input on the back of the deck. Then you grab a set of those component cables for your ipod and have a direct plug-in for the best sound quality. I never listen to CD's on it anymore. You can still find them for sale on ebay or maybe craigslist, and if it isn't too beaten up, it will last you a long time (i've had mine for 4 or 5 years now) It has all the bells and whistles i could ask for in a head unit and it has never had a hiccup to date.

p7220019mn0.jpg

Edited by nige