Whats The Towing Capability

VOTS95

I've searched/read a number of posts regarding the towing capacity but didn't seem to get any kind of consensus on what can safely be done.

I'm getting the itch to get another project car and I've narrowed it down to either a 300ZX turbo or a Porsche 944. I've owned and worked on both before, I'll be happy with either. Both cars weigh approximately 3,000 to 3,100 pounds.

The reason I need to tow is that there aren't many cars available here in Phoenix but just across the border in Southern Cal, there are many, many to choose from and at nice prices. I was hoping to rent a car dolly from U-Haul but their system says it shouldn't be done. I believe the towing capacity on the Pathy is 3,500 lbs and that's what my hitch is rated at also. The drive is simple, no real hills to climb, all freeway.

I have an auto transmission and don't want to burn it out either and I have no external tranny oil cooler. What has anyone else done? TIA!!

Bruce

Your pathfinder won't haul another vehicle. Knowing the ratings makes me recommend NO. DO NOT ATTEMPT.

The tow rating from kbb is 2000 lbs, and since your hitch isn't rated to 5000, and your car is getting close to that, plus the trailer, the stress of accelerating (and primarily decelerating) will put more stress to the point of danger. If uhaul says it can't be done, then they will NOT rent one to you.

Your best bet would be either 1- hire someone, 2-get a buddy, 3- rent a truck or something that you COULD use the uhaul with, or rent a uhaul truck that will tow the uhaul trailer to haul the car 4- fly/taxi there, drive it back 5- join a local 4x4 club, they usually have tow rigs and they would do it for much cheaper than a company. #5 would be my personal recommendation, as around here atleast, there is a giant 4x4 association that many people won't mind bringing a trailer with them on a trip or something and on the way back pick something up, and for gas money and food they will most certainly do it......

But again, DO NOT attempt to tow a vehicle trailer/vehicle with your pathy, remember, we have a 3l v6...i have a larger engine in my malibu O_o

Just my .02c

yeh just cause the pathy is rated @ 3500lbs towing does not mean that I would tow up to 3500 lbs of the bat.

If you wanted the pathy to handle that you should drop in a vg33(easiest upgrade engine swap), an air helper spring in back, 4wheel disc and a good tranny cooler.

At that rate you better have other reasons for doing the vg33 or else your better off buying a rig for towing or just following one of OldSlowReliable's methods.

I know a guy who has a 95 pathfinder and he tows at least 4000lbs with it all the time and has no problems. He told me the only thing he would reccomend is getting a trailer brake controller. He said the drivetrain can handle it just fine if you go easy on it. It's the stopping power you have to worry about...I can't remember if he had an auto or 5 speed.

I have also seen farmers towing farm wagons with wd21s.

Edited by adamzan

I'm not familiar with the terrain south of me but I'd check the route you're going to drive...there;s a hellofa hill climb across the boarder in CA that may be a lil extra grunt on the ole truck. The rule of thumb that i've been brought up on was don't tow anything heavier than what you're driving unless the trailer has brakes.

your call but I think you could tow a pathy with a pathy and a better solution may be a bolt on tow bar then you loose the weight of the trailer...just remove the driveshafts (i think putting the tcase in N would work too) and tow it with all 4 on the road...i'd just check what kind of elevations you've got to climb b/c I know on 40 its pretty intense but I'm sure it'd make it over...

as far as the tranny go ahead and do the tranny cooler upgrade...

While the truck won't LIKE you for doing it... she'll pull that vehicle home. Just be careful on the hills, and make sure you don't burn out anything going into and out of overdrive - if she won't comfortably stay in it at speed on the highway, take it out of OD - it'll hit your MPG but save your wear and tear.

Though an external tranny cooler is HIGHLY recommended, even if you aren't towing anything. I still haven't installed mine simply cause I haven't had time and I don't really know where to put it :(

I've searched/read a number of posts regarding the towing capacity but didn't seem to get any kind of consensus on what can safely be done.

I'm getting the itch to get another project car and I've narrowed it down to either a 300ZX turbo or a Porsche 944. I've owned and worked on both before, I'll be happy with either. Both cars weigh approximately 3,000 to 3,100 pounds.

The reason I need to tow is that there aren't many cars available here in Phoenix but just across the border in Southern Cal, there are many, many to choose from and at nice prices. I was hoping to rent a car dolly from U-Haul but their system says it shouldn't be done. I believe the towing capacity on the Pathy is 3,500 lbs and that's what my hitch is rated at also. The drive is simple, no real hills to climb, all freeway.

I have an auto transmission and don't want to burn it out either and I have no external tranny oil cooler. What has anyone else done? TIA!!

Bruce

I would tend to agree with oldreliable. I know I would never attempt it on any stretch of interstate. The main concerns are braking and wheel base. If any of the idiots and a-holes that drive that stretch of interstate decide to change lanes and slam on the brakes you will have few options. Your lack of wheel base will hurt you if you try any sudden turns with trailer attached, and the brakes will be put to the maximum test should you decide to stand on them. If you have lots of experience towing heavy loads with light vehicles, add a tranny cooler, use a dolly and go for it, otherwise save your Pathy for more pleasurable tasks and wait for a good local deal to emerge.

Thanks for the responses everyone. Seems the replies in this post matched what I've read in the archives. Some say it can be done, others say don't do it. I'm not sure what I'm going to do, thanks again!

BD

today i saw TWO uhaul trucks full of house moving crap pulling a uhaul hauler with a small sedan on each

That would be your best bet if you have the cash, and don't want to risk your pathy

Plus, again, even if the pathy CAN haul it, those reps will get on the website and when it says you shouldn't tow with it, then they will automatically not rent it to you. I also think i read something about unless you have a brake controller, they won't rent it until you do :\

...Too risky business...You risk buying a car and scraping your Path transmission... for, it is not new, and no transmission cooler...you might end up buying a car plus a transmission... and that's not counting the time, money and energy spent ...on the side of the highway, with both vehicules... play logical and safe !!

Edited by Pinip

Why would they care if the truck breaks. It's your own risk anyway lol

1- they won't ever let you rent again

2- they could take legal action

3- they could fine you a big big amount

4- if the trailer breaks or something, and they find out you breached contract, you will pay for it, and all of the above....

The official reason U-Haul doesn’t allow me to tow these cars is that the Pathy doesn’t weigh enough. Hey no problem, I live in the desert so I’m thinking sand-bags!! LOL

I went over to Indio/Palm Springs, CA earlier today to look at two cars. The trip over was a bear because of the headwind. I swear it took a tank and a half to drive 275 miles. The bonus was on the return to Phoenix, lots of tail wind, used just a little gas.

The terrain is pretty flat using I-10 from Phoenix into Southern Cal and there were very few vehicles on the road.

On the way I saw lots of vehicles being towed, many used a tow-bar rather than a dolly. Twice I saw an older Toyota, 4X4, extra cab, loaded with stuff towing another older Toyota 4X4, extra cab. Both times a tow-bar was used. I also saw an old 2WD, regular cab Toyota towing a Corolla.

I think the engine in the Pathy can do it and the braking distance is something you have to plan for. It’s my transmission I’m concerned about. I think if I had a 5 speed, the project car would be in my garage by now.

I don’t know anyone with a full size pickup and the transporter companies want too much to do the job. Thanks again for all the feedback.

BD

I-10 is definately FLAT.

The official reason U-Haul doesn’t allow me to tow these cars is that the Pathy doesn’t weigh enough. Hey no problem, I live in the desert so I’m thinking sand-bags!! LOL

I went over to Indio/Palm Springs, CA earlier today to look at two cars. The trip over was a bear because of the headwind. I swear it took a tank and a half to drive 275 miles. The bonus was on the return to Phoenix, lots of tail wind, used just a little gas.

The terrain is pretty flat using I-10 from Phoenix into Southern Cal and there were very few vehicles on the road.

On the way I saw lots of vehicles being towed, many used a tow-bar rather than a dolly. Twice I saw an older Toyota, 4X4, extra cab, loaded with stuff towing another older Toyota 4X4, extra cab. Both times a tow-bar was used. I also saw an old 2WD, regular cab Toyota towing a Corolla.

I think the engine in the Pathy can do it and the braking distance is something you have to plan for. It’s my transmission I’m concerned about. I think if I had a 5 speed, the project car would be in my garage by now.

I don’t know anyone with a full size pickup and the transporter companies want too much to do the job. Thanks again for all the feedback.

BD

The official reason U-Haul doesn’t allow me to tow these cars is that the Pathy doesn’t weigh enough.

5250 pounds?!?!? that isnt enough????

5250 pounds?!?!? that isnt enough????

Huh? What WD21 weighs 5250lbs?!?!?! 3800, base model, no tire carrier. ~4000 with all stock options.

5250 might be the GVWR which includes passengers and cargo.

If he puts a cooler on it I think it would be fine also because the tranny itself is strong, it's just the heat and clogging cooler that kills it, no?

The safe answer is always get somebody else to do it. If it were me, I'd put a trans cooler on it (good idea to have it anyway!) and go for it.

Don't tow in overdrive. If you can avoid the freeway and just drive sensibly at 40-50mph on back highways, you'd be ok.

In this case you won't have trailer brakes. Braking is the biggest problem, jack knife risk. Leave 4-5x times the normal stopping room, maybe more. Overheating your brakes could be an issue.

Have you towed any vehcile before (just curious)?

Thanks for all the additional feedback. Temperatures will be over 100 this week and soon it'll get really hot. I'm going to install an oiler cooler before I make any decisions but I'm probably going to use the Pathy to tow a car. I've towed boats, campers, motorcycles and jet skis but this was quite a few years ago and I was towing with an F250 4X4.

There are no side roads through the desest from Phoenix to So Cal but I like the idea of keeping it real slow. During last weekends trip to Cal, I noticed all the vehicles that were towing a vehicle were traveling around 50 mph.

I'll post an update on the trip if I use the Pathy. Again thanks for taking the time to respond!

BD