Engine fan stays on

ILoveMyPatty

Well I swapped my engines and I've been running this one for probably 1500km now, but my stupid fan wont shut off. It's on all the time and it's really getting to my nerves. It's super loud, and dono what to do. Could the clutch be messed up or something? I have no clue.

Any help is greatly appreciated, but I wont check back on this thread for 3 days... stupid boonies isolation...

Thanks everyone. Hope all is well with all the members here, it's been a while since I frequented the board.

Ok the 90 doesn't have electric fans and as you said clutch, I'm guessing you have the fan clutch. If it is quite loud, yes, odds are the clutch is bound for some reason. Can you turn it by hand? You should be able to get 1/2 rev spin trying hard. It should start up loud, then fade away as it warms up something like 15-60 seconds. I'd bet this is the problem.

If so, change it soon as it will probably put unwanted stress on the water pump.

B

Alrighty well it sounds like the fan/clutch will get replaced asap then. Should be pretty straightforward, yes? Rad out, fan shroud, unbolt the fan and get to the clutch itself? I'll look in my manual and figure it out. Thanks everyone.

Or do I switch to an e-fan... hmmmm.... With the fan going all the time I've really noticed a loss in power. Kinda sucks as I can't fix 'er right now. But I'll get on it when I can.

Edited by ILoveMyPatty

Alrighty well it sounds like the fan/clutch will get replaced asap then. Should be pretty straightforward, yes? Rad out, fan shroud, unbolt the fan and get to the clutch itself? I'll look in my manual and figure it out. Thanks everyone.

Or do I switch to an e-fan... hmmmm.... With the fan going all the time I've really noticed a loss in power. Kinda sucks as I can't fix 'er right now. But I'll get on it when I can.

TANNNER!!! dude i put dana 60's under my pathfinder and i also moved down to california sorry for never meeting you bro :thumbsdown:

hmmm.. the fan stays on all the time when it's belt driven. what's the problem?

It shouldn't, at least not with the clutch engaged/disengaged...(whichever term really fits). Ideally you can start the engine while holding the fan and it will not spin. Yes it is always spinning when you look at a running engine, but half the time it is spinning for the same reason spinner wheels spin even after the donk stops.

This happend to me a few months back, and I posted about it on another site. Fan stays on, lots of roaring and windy noise, with power loss. It's a failed fan clutch. It should move freely when the engine is off. Does it? I bet it doesn't.

According to the dealer, the fan clutches are starting to fail on all the older nissans, and they've started to stock new ones in all the parts departments.

According to the dealer, the fan clutches are starting to fail on all the older nissans, and they've started to stock new ones in all the parts departments.

There alot of parts starting to fail on old vehicles....... :itsallgood:

Thanks for chiming in everyone, it's helpful to me. Does anyone know of an approximate cost for a new fan clutch? Now is when I'll ask the question... E-fan, or new fan clutch.....? What would be more practical financially and performance wise?

Well, I would vote for the e-fan setup. Mine is a dual fan setup out of a Ford Escape. It's pretty simple. The main one runs all the time, and is triggered by the ignition, the other comes on with the AC. Works nicely for my uses, though, I will be wiring in a master switch so I can shut it off when the need arises (water crossings).

Well, since I have my old engine, I've chosen to use that fan clutch instead of buying new. How tough is it to do this clutch swap? Seems to me like it's just the timing cover that needs to come off, then you can get to the clutch somehow? I removed the timing cover on my old motor, but can't see how to get at that clutch. I can't find my Haynes manual anywhere... so I was wondering if anyone could give me the DL on it. Thanks everyone.

I did the e-fan a while ago, but IIRC, there should be four 10mm nuts. The fan/clutch assembly bolts to the water pump with threaded posts that go through holes in the water pump flange. Feel around between the fan and timing belt cover for them. You should be able to get at the nuts with an open end wrench.

Well, I would vote for the e-fan setup. Mine is a dual fan setup out of a Ford Escape. It's pretty simple. The main one runs all the time, and is triggered by the ignition, the other comes on with the AC. Works nicely for my uses, though, I will be wiring in a master switch so I can shut it off when the need arises (water crossings).

Good call on that one. I will be doing that as well to my fan out of a ford Taurus.

I did the e-fan a while ago, but IIRC, there should be four 10mm nuts. The fan/clutch assembly bolts to the water pump with threaded posts that go through holes in the water pump flange. Feel around between the fan and timing belt cover for them. You should be able to get at the nuts with an open end wrench.

Yep, and you'll probably drop every single one trying to remove them, they are a PITA. Getting them back on is just as fun too :thumbsdown: .

Yep, and you'll probably drop every single one trying to remove them, they are a PITA. Getting them back on is just as fun too :thumbsdown: .

And THAT alone makes an e-fan swap worth it! :aok:

I fawking hated those little bastards! :suicide:

true that, but getting the bolts back on is not as much fun as the dirt that drops into your eyes when you do that.... im going to wear protective goggles next time i do a job like this

I didn't drop any of them or the little washers :shrug: they were a bitch to get too though

true that, but getting the bolts back on is not as much fun as the dirt that drops into your eyes when you do that.... im going to wear protective goggles next time i do a job like this

You did it from the bottom? :blink:

So, all it is, is the flange that the fan bolts up to? That's minor :) Gives me more time to do my body lift on my time off :P

Oh and for those stupid nuts and washers.... When I did my swap and was putting my fan back on, I had a nut go in between the "crank" pulley? and a belt. Holy fruit did that piss me off. Had to take my belt off and everything. Anyway, I'll check in tomorrow and hopefully have an update. I'll get some before/after pics for the BL as well.

Thanks everyone. Greatly appreciated.